11" bolt on brakes

Installing the Blazer set up....

Just bought a set off a 2000 S-10 Blazer 2WD today for $80.00 a side. Got the spindles, rotors, calipers and brake lines. Hope this actually works out as well as it sounds. I run 16x8 GTA wheels so I will find out pretty soon if the clear. While I am at it I will install a set of tubular upper control arms from www.gbodyparts.com and a set of Eibach springs. Love to get the lower tubular arms too but man, are they expensive. I did verify the calipers have dual pistons and the rotors are 11". I will have to figure out what to do with the anti-lock brake hardware. Maybe it can be removed. Hopefully I'll install these goodies in about 6 weeks. Currently installing a fresh 3.8, 61 turbo, FMI and a new VDO guage cluster dash from www.gnxdash.com.

2" drop spindles

After reading about this set-up, it appears everyone that has done this has used the original spindles from a 99 blazer/s10 2wd, but does anyone know if the aftermarket 2" drop spindle will work. If so, are there any new clearance issues and do they in any way help out for better suspension geometry/handling. Also, does anyone know if aftermarket calipers are available in with largers pistons that stock. Just want to say thanks to the person that figured this out, I had almost lost hope of being able to improve braking affordably.

Thanks pete'sGn :wink: I just picked up my car from the shop and the brakes work great. Another benefit of this brake system is rim selection. No big ugly center caps with these brakes :biggrin:

and for a new development on this brake setup it is now possible to bolt C5 rotors and calipers to the ZQ8 spindle with nothing more than a custom made bracket and a few extra bolts

I just ordered the brackets. I won't have the rest of the parts for some time to know how well they work. How do you post pics??

Zoliaster said:
I just ordered the brackets. I won't have the rest of the parts for some time to know how well they work. How do you post pics??
you need to host the pics on a website like photobucket.com then they will give you the necessary link to post them. If you cant figure it out email them to me and I will post them for you Gbodyolds@aol.com

hboost said:
Found the guy on ebay.....here's the link:

http://stores.ebay.com/CHEVY-S10-TRUCK-BLAZER-PARTS-S-10

Go to the search bar and type brakes, and a bunch of assemblies for our cars will show up. So far I see that the going rate is $295+shipping, but most of his stuff is low mileage, so that's pretty good.

he's a little high on the price he wants 295 + 55 shipping where junkyards if they have them want 80-100 a side, for the 150 bucks you would save by doing a little searching you could then go get some braided brake hoses and the adaptor brackets to put on C5 calipers

Gbodyolds said:
and for a new development on this brake setup it is now possible to bolt C5 rotors and calipers to the ZQ8 spindle with nothing more than a custom made bracket and a few extra bolts

So let me get this stright...If I were to use the Blazer set up...I'd be able to switch to the C5 brakes also by still using the blazer spindle and hub unit? Then you wouldnt need to cut down your old rotor for a hub correct?

38mm vs 40mm pistons

I understand the C5 brakes use 38mm pistons but the Blazer pistons are 40mm. Why would you want to modify the setup to run C5 brakes? The Blazer setup is a relatively simple bolt on upgrade. Just wondering...

breiter said:
I understand the C5 brakes use 38mm pistons but the Blazer pistons are 40mm. Why would you want to modify the setup to run C5 brakes? The Blazer setup is a relatively simple bolt on upgrade. Just wondering...

Not sure about the piston size, you are probably correct but with the Blazer brake you have a 10.75 inch rotor and the C5 is 13 inches (approx) what this equates to is a lot more leverage! I'm told that the numbers work out to somewhere around 20% more braking power (came from wilwood). The caliper for the C5 has large fins which provide for better cooling and along with the fact the th caliper is pressure cast vs gravity cast there is less spread of the caliper. This equals more clamping force because there is less flex in the caliper. Also i believe the rotors are about 1/4 thicker and being a larger diameter have more mass to help with heat disappation. The C5 is also a bolt on change, just a few more bolts.

But the most important difference and the main reason to get them is that the 13" rotor looks COOL!! :)

ProJect83 said:
So let me get this stright...If I were to use the Blazer set up...I'd be able to switch to the C5 brakes also by still using the blazer spindle and hub unit? Then you wouldnt need to cut down your old rotor for a hub correct?

Correct!

No cutting of hubs involved. Bolt the bracket to the spindle, bolt the brake abutment to the bracket and attatch the caliper the rotor slips on as does the regular blazer rotor. AND the C5 rotors can be had for about $30 each! I'm not a fan of cutting down the rotor. I know many have done it and have had no problems, its just not for me.

C5 brakes on a ZQ8 spindle
688778_53.jpg

688778_54.jpg

688778_58.jpg

688778_59.jpg

688778_60.jpg

688778_61.jpg

688778_62.jpg

Hmmm....Gotta love those C5 brakes, now; where can I get these brackets? Also, is the bracket all that is needed to adapt the C5 calipers? Most importantly, how much are these brackets?

Is that for both sides? Also, do you use the S10 caliper brackets, or the C5 caliper brackets?

hboost said:
Is that for both sides? Also, do you use the S10 caliper brackets, or the C5 caliper brackets?

That was for both brackets L&R. You have to get the abutments (SP?) for the c5. The blazer brackets don't work from what I've been told.

I'm also told that the parts can be had dirt cheap on some of the vette boards as many of them are upgrading. I havn't had the time to check yet.