11" bolt on brakes

Does anyone have any info on the oversized OEM caliper mentioned in the link from Turbo Regal Web Site I think that would be a cheap way to go and still get some improvement out of the brakes. I think I might start looking into the S-10 thing too though. But just curious about the Oversized OEM calipers too.

The Gain In That System Is The Increased Piston Sq Inches Of Area. Pressure = Line Pressure, Multiplied By The Sq. Inches Of Piston Area. Ie; 1000psi Times 1 Sq In. =1000psi. 1000psi Times 2 Sq In. = 2000psi. 1000psi Times 6 Sq Inches= 6000psi Against The Pads. Longer Pads Do Not Have Necessarily Have More Friction, But Will Last Longer, And Absorb More Heat. It Is Really Important To Remember The Amount Of Brake Dust On The Front Wheels. This Means That The Rear Brakes Do Very Little. Those Stock Rear Brakes Are Part For Part The Same As An S10 Pickup. Not Enough Pressure To Stop A Substantially Heavier And Faster Car Such As The Gn. The Manual Brake 7/8" S10 Cyls (up From 3/4") Provide Higher Pressure Against The Shoes Due To The Increased Area Of The W/cyl Piston Size. This Helps Balance The Brakes From Front To Rear. The Front Brakes Should Do 60-65% Of The Stopping Not 90% As The Factories Set Them Up With. The Factories Set Up Fwd Drive Cars With Weak Rear Brakes Because There Is No Weight On The Rear Of A Fwd Car. Don't Forget The Hydroboost To Really Haul The Car Down From Any Speed, With Less Rotor Heat.

When you multiply psi times square inches, the answer is in POUNDS, not in psi. Pressure (psi) in the hydraulic system is converted into force (lbs) at the pads. If you really like to play with pressure, then you could divide the force on the pads by the pad area, to get pressure again. But why?
Also, why would the hydroboost heat rotors less than any other kind of system? The brakes convert the kinetic energy of the moving vehicle into heat energy. Bigger rotors will cool better, but the rotor doesn't know or care what the source of the force on the pads is. (rotors are pretty dumb)

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

I'm Not Sure What You Mean. Psi Stands For Pounds Of Pressure Per Square Inch. That "psi" Is Then Multiplied Times The Square Inches Of Area Of The Brake Piston To Give The Actual Pressure Output Of The Caliper Piston. In Air Brakes, The Average Size Of A Rear Air Chamber Is Called A "type 30" This Means It Has 30 Sq Inches Of Dia Area. If 100 Psi Of Air Pressure Is Delivered To That Air Chamber, It Would Put Out 3000psi To The Push Rod Of The Air Chamber. Longer Pads Actually Reduce The Point Pressure Of The Pad Against The Rotor. The Small Pads Can "pinch" The Rotor Harder, Kind Of Like A High Heel Shoe Digs Into The Grass Or A Floor, But A Wide Heel Spreads Out The Pressure. So, Heavier Rotors And Longer Pads Will Absorb More Heat, And That Is Good, But Pressure Is What Stops The Car. For Example, When You Near A Red Traffic Light, You Apply Light Pressure To The Brake Pedal, As You Get Closer, You Apply More Pressure, And So On. Decreasing The Stopping Distance Always Calls For "more Pressure" Why Do I Say That A Hydroboost Will Decrease Rotor Heat? It Has The Output Pressure To Stop The Car In Half The Distance. The Road Race Guys Overheat Their Rotors At High Speeds Trying To Make The Turns With Manual Brakes. The Pressure Is Too Low With Manual Brakes, About 500-700psi. "line Pressure" That Is. We Did A Road Race Viper With A Hydroboost, Using Stock Brakes, He Goes Around The Other Guys That Are Trying To Make The Turns At 160mph, Pushing Their Master Off The Firewall. He Just Drives Around Them. His Phone Number Is Available.

I went to a reputable salvage yard
He had plenty of 98-05 S10 blazers 2wheel drive-but none had the 2 piston caliper
Any ideas?
FRED

hay Fred, 4 door 2wd and the Extreme Blazers have the duel piston calipers. go on eBay and look for s10warehouse, he is in Fla. i just bought a low mile set up for $350 shipped, and with cross drilled rotors she stops on a dime (i did chamfer? the holes so they don't crack). i also changed the master Cly and booster, bought new. it's for the 02 blazer Extreme, easy change over took about 3 hours.

Make sure you check those hubs from S-10 Warehouse. I bought mine
a couple years ago and finnally got around to installing the and found I have a bad one.:rolleyes: They just said how do we know its ours and that was the end of it. FYI these had 38K written on the rotors. I guess that has given me a bad taste with them

Brake upgrade

This is a old thread, but it is a great one, thx for the info, i was going crazy trying to figure out how to get this heavy car to stop better.

Ill beat this horse too...

So DID ANYONE find out if a 2" dropped spindle can be had for the s10 blazer?Also what is the largest rotor/caliber combo with GTAs?

How much heavier does this swap adds on the Car? Do the Hubs really wear extremely FAST??
I am thinking of doing this Dual Caliper Swap myself...

Thanks
Joe

I have this whole setup for sale from a 2004 blazer with 19k miles ,yes low miles... VERY nice condition....:cool: :cool:

CAN DO $260 shipped..

Getting Ready

Going to the boneyard tom to find parts for this swap. This thread has a ton of useful info, just one question. Is there a VIN Code for the 99-05 2wd s10 blazer that I could reference to the boneyard before driving over. It is about an hour away and diesel is $4.00/gallon.
Also, can anyone post the procedure to rebuild the calipers?

Is there a VIN Code for the 99-05 2wd s10 blazer that I could reference to the boneyard before driving over.

1998-2005 2WD Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada only! No Trucks. Just the SUV models.

5th character of the VIN is the letter S
10th character of the VIN is the year. W=98 X=99 Y=00 1=01 2=02,etc

It's probably easier and cheaper just to buy reman'd calipers instead of trying to rebuild them.

1998-2005 2WD Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada only! No Trucks. Just the SUV models.

5th character of the VIN is the letter S
10th character of the VIN is the year. W=98 X=99 Y=00 1=01 2=02,etc

It's probably easier and cheaper just to buy reman'd calipers instead of trying to rebuild them.

Thanks Eric, headed to boneyard now, try to get some pics up asap!!!

Sorry if I didnt return a PM,I had 4people ask to buy it ,must have missed you ...
but yes it sold to 83 hurst,just need to drop off parts and collect$$

Bet yall forgot about us!!!

Don't worry we have been hard at work getting ready for BG :D New motor pics, Randy is planning on having the motor/trans back in and start the downhill slope tom.................Just ask Tom :D

Will be sending more updates the closer BG gets!!!!

Attachments

• DSC01639.JPG
    DSC01639.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,160
  • DSC01643.JPG
    DSC01643.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,158
  • DSC01625.JPG
    DSC01625.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,157
  • DSC01619.JPG
    DSC01619.JPG