109 block limits??

frankg

Speed Seeker!!
How long will a 109 block handle 700-750 hp at the crank? This is girdled with stroker crank and rods. Zero knock tune. Engine just made 650 on low 22 psi boost but would like to crank it up some. Mostly a full weight street car. Thanks
2012-04-07_09-53-27_894.jpg

I know some guys making more hp and have for several years. They have very good tunes though. I not a expert on engines but I think no knock is always the factor. I'm making around 600hp on a mild tune. The engine is 5 years old and I have had zero issues.

we just took Melissa's borrowed motor apart for a freshning up.. 25 k on it.. Beat on a lot. NO KNOCK.. Bearings were a little worn that was it.. new rings, bearings an headgaskets an it will be ready for some more beatings in my Mazda :cool:

I've got about 5700 on my build with no issue with lots of full throttle blasts, same as you, full weight street car. Makes about 690-700 at the wheel.

How long will a 109 block handle 700-750 hp at the crank? This is girdled with stroker crank and rods. Zero knock tune. Engine just made 650 on low 22 psi boost but would like to crank it up some. Mostly a full weight street car. ThanksView attachment 178853
That is one of the most beautiful 109 blocks I have ever seen.

Dan can probaly tell you the horsepower on Melissa's engine but I'm going to say a little over 700hp.

It's the little thing's that can bite you in the behind,plus the larger aspect of the machining it's self, Best to just stay in the middle..If you do push-it, Give us ghe number you broke at..heh..( i have same build at 22psi,read you shouldn't go over 26psi,Head Sealing just not there for it over that)

What boost were you running Grumpy? I figure you will get old one day and say something besides TSM boost.;) 25,000 miles. Awesome!!!

I have the same build . I to would like to fined out how much 109 can take and stay together no nock of course . frankg you said that you made 650 at 22 pounds is that with iron heads ? and at the wheels

This is my friends engine 650 was at the crank with gn1 aluminum heads. It has a whole lot of power left in it if only the block could hold it!

Man that is unreal ! just like ACDC song says you,ve got big balls !! how much boost are you running pacecarta? and what head gasket ?

i don't know my HP number at all. But it's a stroker 109 with 2 steel caps and studs everywhere TA alum heads DLS 214/214 cam ported intake ta headers and in reynolds it went 10.19 @ 129 @ 24 psi boost car weight was 3700 lbs its a street car !

The engine had a main bearing spin in 2010 due to the girdle installation was not done correctly. I removed the girdle and got steel caps and all has been well since then. The car as a ton of street miles on it i'm gonna guess 6-7k since then with a ton of passes on it at the track .

They can take a beating !

26.5psi, launching at 9.5psi @4100rpm , timing --under 20 degrees (93 and alky)
cometic 050s , arp 12pt studs

stock iron heads unported runners , still has egr passages, little cleanup behind valves,
running behive springs, cut down valve guides for roller and notched stands for T+D rockers
stock intake with egr tower removed and filled , 96033 felpro stock intake pan gasket

Pacecarta give the most vehicle/drivetrain specific info on this site. I appreciate him sharing and not pretending like he is in the CIA.

Grumpy how much hp is she making to go 9.90??

maybe 730/740 ish ?? 3660#s @ 138 mph. Ya TSM boost :D Talking to Russ this morning and the motor is ready to go back together. Haircut and a shave is all it took :p I am very impressed with it !! Oh it's goin back in the Mazda ;)