100 lbs valve springs

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
We are installing 100 lbs valve springs this week , how and why does this help ? and yes new owner and new member

I assume like all valved motors the stronger the spring the less float you have...springs force the valves to close faster eliminating valve float and enabling the motor to achieve higher revs...there is a downside to strong springs, they stress the motor but at 100 lbs. you've got little worries...my last fuel motor I built had 900lb. springs...my T-type has 100 lb. springs and is street driven...

Which springs did you get? 100 pound does not tell me much.
The valve springs on these cars were just barely adequate when they were new and with mileage on them as
they lose some pressure the valves can float/ have bounce when they are seating on the closing side of the lobe.

The reasons this is such a problem are as you modify the engine to make more power making the car quicker,
It is usually accomplished by way of added boost pressure and higher engine rpm.

Being new to turbo Buicks you may not understand the additional stresses a turbo engine puts on the valve springs,
with 20# of boost pressure you have 20psi pressure counter acting on the intake valve surface area
and 40psi pressure counter acting on the exhaust valve surface area. This all can cause seating bounce issues and the power loss that comes with it.

All of this takes away from the "seat pressure" that the springs have, fortunately the stock camshaft has very mild
lobes on it and does not require a lot of spring pressure.

Make sure that you use an oil that has good zinc and phosphorus additive package, [many do not]
I personally recommend Brad-Penn in 10-30. available from summit racing.
You will get many opinions on oil but the Brad-Penn I know to be very good.

Take time to research every thing and learn as much as possible about your T/R, I still love mine after 28 years.
Figure out where the good advice comes from so that you do not have to do things over as you modify your car.
There are some very knowledgeable guys on here who can save you some newbie heartache.

upload_2016-1-17_20-10-51.png

http://www.penngrade1.com/

I agree with everything fastblack said.

A few qustions for the OP.
What cam do you currently have?
How may miles on the motor?
How do you know what springs you currently have?
What other performance parts do you have? (a signature with a list of stuff would help)

Once you post more information on your current setup, many members on the board could provide more information and or make recommendations for a better choice of springs for your combination.

Hey Guys , Thanks a lot for the info , The springs are coming fron Comp Cams , Memphis Tn , I have a friend who is a mechanical engineer that's works there and has had a lot of TB and helping me with my car . I trust this guy to the fullest . I guess I like hearing the different thoughts that guys on this site have . I enjoy hearing from yall and all the knowledge that's on this site .