zddp

hensleyt

I Know we need it, Does it look like hone are is it Black?My local Nissan dealer pored 4o/z of black crap in my wife's Xterria,it was there all of 20 minutes,Took 3 oil changes back to back to get it clean again.I like my nice hone colored Mobile 1 oil.Do not want to spend $10.00 for black stuff.

No, not black. I don't know what they poured into your friends car but it wasn't zddp. zddp doesn't require engine flushing.

I don't remember what color it was when I poured it in, but not black.

It looks just like clean motor oil....in fact it is mostly oil, the oil is only used for suspension of the zddp. I forget the percentage, but out of that bottle of zddp, 90 someodd percent is plain motor oil...doesn't take many parts per million to do its job.

kirban 2 cents worth

I have no idea what they poured into your engine a the Nissen dealership but I can assure you the above statements are correct zddplus looks no different than clean motor oil. Their is nothing in the 4 ounce bottle that was not present in your oil back when your turbo regal was brand new.

Available form most Buick vendors....we are the largest supplier of zddplus in the country.
We would not be able to market it to such long time cam companies like isky-crower-erson unless it was as claimed....those companies have been in business a lot longer than I have.
Nor would Don Garlits use it let alone recommend it...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

bottle

must have been some japanese shmaltzy :biggrin: -- what did it say on the bottle.?

It was its first oil change complementary curtsy Nissan.The service manager told me he had added a friction BLA BLA BLA that would extend my warranty and to sign some document.I ask to see the product It was some black stuff in a black bottle .Said no thanks.Got home and the oil was black I mean black.The ZDDP bottles look similar That was two years ago. I want to thank all for your input.

My company is currently in the process of releasing one of the most exciting lubrication modification products to ever hit the racing market...

Guess what... It's black... and it came from NASA.

Dont judge a book by it's cover... My guess is that it was a graphite or moly additive, both of which are good stuff.

Im sorry to inform you that your knowledge base, no matter how extensive, does not even come close to what the automotive companies and their highly paid mechanical and chemical engineers with their combined hundreds of years worth of experience know... If the dealer says do it to extend your warranty, then why would you not to it? :rolleyes: I cannot believe you WASTED that much oil just to get something the dealer put in your oil out... they made your friggen car man, I think they might know a thing or two about making it run properly... Now, if you're willing to argue with NASA then... well... I guess I would just be at a loss for words...

If you had taken a second to listen to the man, he would have explained how the "black crap" micro plates all of the internal friction surfaces of the engine with an extremely thin(sub micron) coating that improves your oil's film strength while preventing metal to metal contact...

looks like I just missed my best chance to go in space.I'm sure NASA has good cause for black stuff .I ,and only speaking for I don't like black stuff.Did you know Bel Ray synthetics went to the moon No black stuff there.Graphite & moly products were used in the tell end of WWI for air cooled aircraft because DINO oil was not up to the heat and strain of these high-output air craft by the end of WWII they quit the black stuff ,it dose creep back into the market from time to time . good luck marketing your black stuff ,but for me the black stays in the paint.

Sounds like shades of Slick-50 coming back, only in a different color. ;)

So the dealer put the "black stuff" in there even though you had told them no thanks?? Or was that for the warranty extension?? Just by adding an additive they would extend a warranty...that sounds like a typical dealer BS. From my many many years experience, I would never trust a dealer even to work on their own cars correctly! The 3 times in my entire life that I have taken a car back to the dealer for a warranty repair I should have just did it myself or paid someone I trust to have fixed it... One reason I'll never purchase a new car again..I could care less about a warranty.

Yeah, graphite and moly are black/grey color, its what all good break in grease contains when putting the bottom end together, been used for decades.

Most likely it was a graphite additive called KREX.
KrexInc.com

The dealer I work at had us put this in every oil change that we did. It did turn the oil black almost instantly. The only thing good about the Krex deal was it gave the customer free road hazard warrenty on all their tires with each Krex bottle we added.

That's the black stuff !Did you putt it in without the customers permission too?
NO 2QUIK6 They just pored it in,then informed me when I went to pick it up.Like you I let no one touch my stuff,at 1/2 100 I just had a weak moment.
My wife and I had good service with her GMC at the Cadillac dealer they put the Valvoline durablind in that I put in the back,for its first two are three free service.And the few little warranty jobs (loaned her a cad to go to the Mall)That 96 GMC know has 245000 miles,I pulled the intake at about 190 for the dreaded intake water leak.Know its on Valvoline Max Life.No leaks no oil burning No black stuff here you can still see through the oil when I drain it.See my questing about ZDDP.My GN is on Mobile 1 the original owner had it on that all 70000 miles. I see the Valvoline V1 has 1200 ppm of ZDDP I'm owner #2 The Mobile 1 is good stuff add ZDDP are switch ? Thank for all the help

That's the black stuff !Did you putt it in without the customers permission too?
NO 2QUIK6 They just pored it in,then informed me when I went to pick it up.Like you I let no one touch my stuff,at 1/2 100 I just had a weak moment.
My wife and I had good service with her GMC at the Cadillac dealer they put the Valvoline durablind in that I put in the back,for its first two are three free service.And the few little warranty jobs (loaned her a cad to go to the Mall)That 96 GMC know has 245000 miles,I pulled the intake at about 190 for the dreaded intake water leak.Know its on Valvoline Max Life.No leaks no oil burning No black stuff here you can still see through the oil when I drain it.See my questing about ZDDP.My GN is on Mobile 1 the original owner had it on that all 70000 miles. I see the Valvoline V1 has 1200 ppm of ZDDP I'm owner #2 The Mobile 1 is good stuff add ZDDP are switch ? Thank for all the help
That would have royally ticked me off if the dealer had done that without first asking me.
You may want to do a search on zddp in the title, you'll find a couple of threads that discuss it in detail, including info from the man himself that had zddp made who is a turbo Buick guy. There are a few oils that still have it them...it was phased out due to emissions needing so many miles of use/warranty and zddp kills cat convertors eventually after 100k+ miles or so... From my recollection, Mobil 1 does not have enough.