You might be experiencing Detonation if...................

cm-36243-050bffabb05dbf.gif

PSSSS### cling, cling!! Clunk?? W T F??? Ua oooo !! I told u not to turn it up on 35lbs!! It can take it!! Not!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I would like to know more about the combo, tune, and what was the driver doing when this went boom.

I think he was posting a video on TurboBuick wanting to what the knock was!!!

Tell the truth Dave. This is the new 642 control unit you've been working on for better mileage, right?:D You're planning on it being just like the old caddy 864 set up.;) There were just a few miscalculations.:eek:

Wayne, the caps fit properly at one time..... The detonation caused the registers to open up as the caps danced around!!

I'll bet that the block is cracked thru the mains. But I won't spend the time to magnaflux inspect.....the block is toast.

Engine was burning E-85. I am guessing the problem(s) were caused by a poor tune, unpredictable fuel quality and a heavy right foot.

Stock crank, rods and cast pistons didn't help the situation. Forged parts would not survive this beating either. But they wouldn't end up in the pan in little pieces.
A few folks don't get the idea that cast reciprocating parts weaken with use over time. If we detonate these engines with cast cranks the track will insist on pick axes (for debris removal) to go along with a cage and 5 point harnesses.

some evo owners learnt the hard way that e85 isnt the be all end all fuel when ignition missfires started bending stuff up LOL
100_1112.jpg
DSC00079-1.jpg

Tell the truth Dave. This is the new 642 control unit you've been working on for better mileage, right?:D You're planning on it being just like the old caddy 864 set up.;) There were just a few miscalculations.:eek:

Charlie, We are showing our ages talking about that old Caddie 8-6-4. Hmmm........ I never thought about it when I was disassembling this mess. Few on this board would even know what the 8-6-4 was!

Interesting you mention unpredictable fuel quality, i personally have tested 100's of batches from my local pumps. Never had one bad batch? Alway's seem 85% or a bit more on the tester. There isnt fuel left in the tank? Test it.

Where you from? I hear here in IL we get a winter grade of it that comes closer to 70%. I have never tested it though.

Miami Fl interesing this has become an e85 bash thread :D
I have nothing but positive comments from the ethanol and so do a bunch of guys i know. Not sure what happened here seems like the fuel is an easy way out to blame for the engine failure. Something else went wrong here.

Charlie, We are showing our ages talking about that old Caddie 8-6-4. Hmmm........ I never thought about it when I was disassembling this mess. Few on this board would even know what the 8-6-4 was!

And just think if it worked like it was supposed to Dave. You sure you weren't working on a variable timing set up and goofed?;) Maybe it's a modular crank?:p

Is that the engine that ran on either 4, 6 or 8 cylinders? My parents had a Coup De'Ville when I was a kid. I think it was an '83. I was fascinated with the digital readout that told how many cylinders it was running. The engine never ran right and they traded it in on an '83 Z-28 off the show room floor. The Z-28 had the two flaps on the hood that popped up when you floored it. I was fascinated with that too. :D

I know about the Cadillac 8-6-4 POS and I'm not that old! :p

Neal

For 1981 Cadillac introduced a new engine that would become notorious for its reliability problems (with the electronics, not the robust mechanical design), the V8-6-4 (L62). The L61 had not provided a significant improvement in the company's CAFE numbers, so Cadillac and Eaton Corporation devised a cylinder deactivation system called Modulated Displacement that would shut off two or four cylinders in low-load conditions such as highway cruising, then reactivate them when more power was needed. When deactivated, solenoids mounted to those cylinders' rocker-arm studs would disengage the fulcrums, allowing the rockers to "float" and leave the valves closed despite the continued action of the pushrods. These engines are easily identified by their rocker covers, which each have elevated sections over 2 cylinders with electrical connectors on top. With the valves closed the cylinders acted as air-springs, which both eliminated the feel of "missing" and kept the cylinders warm for instant combustion upon reactivation. Simultaneously, the engine control module would reduce the amount of fuel metered through the TBI unit. On the dashboard, an "MPG Sentinel" digital display could show the number of cylinders in operation, average or current fuel consumption (in miles per gallon), or estimated range based on the amount of fuel remaining in the tank and the average mileage since the last reset.

Looks to me like someone didn't clean the oil pan when they built the motor and the little pieces plugged the oil pick up ,starving the motor for oil;):rolleyes: Thanks for sharing the E85 info Dave