'Yoda

zeus87gn

Automotive Neurosurgeon
A little help if you can...

Does anyone know where I can find engine information on a 99 Toyota Camary with the 2.2l 4 cyl?
Primiarily I am trying to find out why the he!! Toyota won't sell me the engine balancer bearings and where I might could find them. Toyota will only sell a new balancer assembly for $504!! :mad: :mad: I barely spent more than that on the rest of the engine!!!! :eek: :eek:

Maybe others in another forum may know more, but I don't know where to look.

Any help or direction is appreicated.

zeus87gn said:
A little help if you can...

Does anyone know where I can find engine information on a 99 Toyota Camary with the 2.2l 4 cyl?
Primiarily I am trying to find out why the he!! Toyota won't sell me the engine balancer bearings and where I might could find them. Toyota will only sell a new balancer assembly for $504!! :mad: :mad: I barely spent more than that on the rest of the engine!!!! :eek: :eek:

Maybe others in another forum may know more, but I don't know where to look.

Any help or direction is appreicated.

I didn't know the balancer asm had serviceable bearings, we never had a problem with the balancers other than shimming them and timing the balancer to the crank. Put a Jasper engine(actually two) in a Camry and the second engine had no balancer on it, didn't even have the drive gear for the balancer on the crankshaft :confused:

Thanks for the response.

Yes, according to my machine shop, there are servicable bearings within the balancer assembly.

Whole problem is caused by the loss of the #1 rod bearing. It became 1000 little metal pieces and shavings and was found all thoughout the motor and in the balancer. The head bearley escaped death. Ended up with a new crank, 1 new rod, and 4 new pistons and a new oil pump assembly. I took the balancer to the shop with the motor and they say they can rebuild it, but can't get ahold of the bearings. They can't even find cam bearings that would fit. Aparently they are a strange size.

I am beginning to wonder if the motor can be run without it, but I have been advised no. Any ideas where I could look to find out more?

I'd say look for a used block, durely you can get one for less than it would cost to rebuild it...

The engine can be run without the balance asm, but an oil passage must be blocked off. We just put pre-owned engines in, cheaper and easier. Toyota engines are pretty good, the wifes Camry has 180,000 uses no oil and runs like a top.

The engine is already rebuilt. This balancer issue is the last item to be fixed. I prefer not to run used engines, that's an unknown that I don't care to deal with. Last one I did lasted 2 weeks. First one I did lasted a few months.

I've been told not to run the engine without the balancer.
How would you block off those oil passages if you did?
What are the possible side effects?

Edit: Thanks for the link to the Toyoda board! That may be just what I was looking for.

zeus87gn said:
I've been told not to run the engine without the balancer.
How would you block off those oil passages if you did?
What are the possible side effects?

Edit: Thanks for the link to the Toyoda board! That may be just what I was looking for.

Only been at Toyota for three years, so don't know personally, but was told that there is an oil passage that needs to be blocked. I don't know if it's threaded or not.

Put a Jasper engine(actually two) in a Camry and the second engine had no balancer on it, didn't even have the drive gear for the balancer on the crankshaft

The car ran OK It felt like a GM car not a Toyota :biggrin: