Yard Find 1987 GN

I am sure I speak for alot of original owners......did you ever think you'd live to see the day when a Grand National would join the legendary stories of 'barn yard finds' ?

Wow! Good for you. Enjoy your find. My initial take...the owner, at one point in time, took good care of the car. Still has wheel center caps, no extra 'spaghetti wire strewn everywhere, lots of stock or stock looking engine parts, even retained the turbo shield, oil cooler, BUICK moniker on the front fascia, stance seems good too, throttle heater by-pass not done (i.e. stock and in place) and front air dams look good. Looks to have a working EGR and no evidence of an engine 'tie-down' strap. Was the gal you spoke with the original owner AND driver?....almost seems the cars driver just kinda disappeared and work/upkeep suddenly stopped (hmmm incarcerated perhaps?) I may have missed it in your post, but you did get the original title to the car? Tell us what number owner you are and the mileage.

I see a few aftermarket/changes like the billet vacuum block on the dog house, conversion to vacuum brakes (note the angle of the master cylinder, vacuum canister at the firewall and one-way in line valve between booster and billet vacuum block on doghouse). Take a closer look at the fuel pressure regulator and see if it is one of the old bowlinggreen 'hidden' adjustable ones (remove the vacuum line and peer down the hole and see if there is an allen head..which you turn to adjust pressure). Maybe an aftermarket exhaust(tailpipes are not stock).

Man....just too cool. What a GREAT find. That buggy is an 'original' and appears highly optioned. A good detail job and some quick tweaks could bring some good coin on a flip; especially if it drives fine and mileage is in-line with age. Pull the ecm and check the chip. I'd bet it still has the stock chip, or most, an old Hypertech or kenne bell.

Again, Good for You ! CONGRATULATIONS and most importantly ENJOY!

Seriously if you need a tail light I can help you out. I will be home in six weeks so it will be then before I can send it. Lookin' good!

I see a few aftermarket/changes like the billet vacuum block on the dog house, conversion to vacuum brakes (note the angle of the master cylinder, vacuum canister at the firewall and one-way in line valve between booster and billet vacuum block on doghouse). Take a closer look at the fuel pressure regulator and see if it is one of the old bowlinggreen 'hidden' adjustable ones (remove the vacuum line and peer down the hole and see if there is an allen head..which you turn to adjust pressure). Maybe an aftermarket exhaust(tailpipes are not stock).

I see the ignition module too is an replacement!

Only wish i could find cars like this for CHEAP! Keep us posted on the progress of the car.

How many miles are on it?

-Adam

Outstanding find! Beautiful car! How did you get the underhood so clean? Thats awesome! I'm going to try and get one I spotted with T Tops that hasn't moved in a long while. :D

PowerKraus - Thanks for pointing out some of those upgrades:) I haven't spent very much time under there as of yet, but did notice the billet vacume block, vacume brake set up. The exhaust is a very cheap, stock location set up...it's coming off very soon! I also checked the FPR and it does appear to be the adjustable one.

The lady I got it from bought it in 1996 as it appears on the title I got a couple day's ago. She had to get another title due to the original one being lost over the years. It's clear with no liens etc. I would like to run a carfax soon to get the complete history. Think I might be the 3rd owner due to her buying it from a Buick/Pontiac/GM dealership in 1996. Who knows:p

This car drives and handles very well, I'm very happy with it. The only thing that I don't like is the interior, pig filthy and it will be coming out Saturday.

A body of mine a couple block over that live here all his life said he use to see her driving the car all the time. He said she never beat on it, which I believe due to there being NO rubber under the wheel wheels etc. I looked very closely under it today, absolutly no rust holes, only surface rust which is typical. This would be an excellent car to restore.

pontiac6269 - Thanks, Just got lucky!

jurassic five 7 (Adam) - I'm thinking it has 160K, not to sure though. I'll request a car fax from one of the board members this evening. I'll keep everyone updated.

F8L WS6 - Cool, get that car if you can Save it! Save it! :cool:

I went to the parts store and purchased 4 cans of engine cleaner with citrus acid. After spraying it on a cold engine and letting it set for 15-20 minutes, I sprayed it off. After degreasing the engine, I sprayed all alunium parts with "EagleOne Mag Wheel Cleaner" let it set for 30 seconds, then rinse off and that's it. Repeat if necessary:wink:

Thanks for the replies!

Ray

Ray you are one lucky individual! Bring the old GN back to its former glory!;)

Wow, I really appreciate it! Are you in the military and deployed right now?

Not yet. I will be home on Block leave before I go. Gotta see my kids. Haven't seen them in 8 months!:eek: Can't wait!

PM me with your address and parts needed.

body of mine a couple block over that live here all his life said he use to see her driving the car all the time. He said she never beat on it, which I believe due to there being NO rubber under the wheel wheels etc. I looked very closely under it today, absolutly no rust holes, only surface rust which is typical. This would be an excellent car to restore.

You got it....a car 'that' complete; if it is an extra car and you already have a racer,then this one is a great candidate for restoration. BUT it is your car to do with as YOU please. Either way, there looks to be the 'easy stuff' to replace and make like new. You certainly found yourself a winner.

Enjoy!

Hey everyone....On duty tonight (24 hour) duty that is:mad: Someone has to keep all the Marines, Navy, Army student in line during payday weekend:eek: Might as well be me.....Another day without working on the car..

Anyway - Thanks for the comments and encouragement for that matter with the car. When I get off work in the morning first order of business is to get all the interior out of it and clean the inside.

vader87 - I appreciate everything man, I'll compile a list and get it to you sometime Sat. Yes, do get back here and spend time with the family man, I understand how you must feel. I was away from mine for 9 months before, my second son was born when I was in Iraq:( I tell you brother, cherish every minute with them! :smile: Keep you head down.....

vicious6 - Thanks man. I'll do my best to get it back to where it once was.

DaveLC2 - Thanks Dave! The interior will try my patience:wink: I'll get'er done though.

PowerKraus - This vehicle is more solid than my other one. I haven't decided yet, but I thought about taking everything off of the WE-4 and put on the GN. Things such as the interior, trunk lid, bumper fillers, etc. I tell you, it's that solid. I just don't think I want to go through all that work though. I'll sleep on it a while, I never rush decisions like this:tongue:

KevinB - They are out there hiding. It takes enthusiast like most of the board member here to just go out and look for'em. BTW- I know where another one is:D I'm still working on getting it too. Pretty much the same condition of my last find.:rolleyes: Hey, just tell the wife your going "Treasure "Hunting" and go look for'em:wink:

Well guys/gals got to get back to work. I'll post some before and after pictures Saturday. Take care!

Ray

Wow nice find and it looks like it's cleaning really well. There's a car locally that I keep tabs on ('87 hardtop) that I hope I have the same kind of luck on. Very awesome find and I'm jealous.

Thanks for the reply Ray! I'm definetly going to give that stuff a try. I've got a WH1 I rescued and just got running again this week so i'd like to clean it up. Its impressive how well it worked on yours. I hope I get the same results!

Heres a link to my find :
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/155171-i-saved-t-type-not-just-normal-one.html

Lost out on the one with T Tops though. Guys is content to let it rot. Oh well maybe later.

Good luck with the car. :D I hope someday to score a GN!

Hey Ray: Nice find!!! What a smokin' deal.

Hope all is well with you and the family. BTW, how are you liking FL? ( get used to the rain, tis the season- it'll get to the point you can tell the time based upon when it's raining)

Take care and congrats on the new ride...

Thanks for the reply Ray! I'm definetly going to give that stuff a try. I've got a WH1 I rescued and just got running again this week so i'd like to clean it up. Its impressive how well it worked on yours. I hope I get the same results!

Heres a link to my find :
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/155171-i-saved-t-type-not-just-normal-one.html

Lost out on the one with T Tops though. Guys is content to let it rot. Oh well maybe later.

Good luck with the car. :D I hope someday to score a GN!

Your more than welcome! Anything to help out a fellow Buick enthusiast.

BTW - That is an awesome deal for that car, super rare combo, I've always loved the two tone color scheme. Happy to hear you you got it running too:cool: Keep pestering the guy about the T Top car, eventually he may give in and it's all worth wild. Keep us posted....

Wow nice find and it looks like it's cleaning really well. There's a car locally that I keep tabs on ('87 hardtop) that I hope I have the same kind of luck on. Very awesome find and I'm jealous.

Thanks, appreciate it much and I wish you luck on aquiring it:cool:

Hey Ray: Nice find!!! What a smokin' deal.

Hope all is well with you and the family. BTW, how are you liking FL? ( get used to the rain, tis the season- it'll get to the point you can tell the time based upon when it's raining)

Take care and congrats on the new ride...

Hey thanks bud! Long time no hear, hope you and your better half is doing well. Were adapting well here in Florida, family likes it alot and cost of living is next to nothing compared to CA. I think it was a good choice coming here for just that reason. Although, nothing beats the weather in CA. Missing all the get together/cruises too. Please tell everyone I said hello!

Do you still have your fleet of Buicks?:wink:

Hey Ray:
We're doing well. Just gearing up for Sunday's show at Bates...I say hey to everyone for you.

Yup, we still have the fleet. Sold the White one and ended up picking up a lower mile 86 T-Type, bone stock-lightweight, super clean interior with ASC Sunroof- Even the power radio antenna works! It had been inop for over 7 years. Smogged cleaner than my Audi when I was finished with her. Scheduled to hit the paint shop in a few weeks.

Florida is much cheaper than CA but the weather is the big plus here in CA. Don't fret, it'll get much warmer real soon:p (you aint seen nothing yet) Down where I'm from we consider mid-80's to 90's to be just right. BTW, make sure the AC works on those cars, can't get away without it over there unless you like to swim in your own sweat.

Where in FL are you again? Somewhere north if I recall correctly...