XFI and ditching OPTISPARK

srz

Own a 93 Z28 LT1 388ci w/ an F1 blower. Opti took a no notice dump on me w/ less than 900 miles on it. Don't beat on me too bad but I'm still on version 1.13....never get to drive the car due to one issue after another.

I trying to find out what all is involved in switching over to sequential and possibly doing an EFI conncetion COP setup EFI Connection, LLC - EFI Connection 24x System . I still use the factory pcm for turning the fuel pumps on and one other thing that I can't recall right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wits end w/ this thing.

Thanks!:mad:

You will need an XIM box if you want the XFI to control it. If you are on a budget you could just buy a set of coils off an LS1 and modify the optispark for the cam signal and use a FAST crank sensor. You could use the optispark for BOTH crank and cam signals if you are on a real budget.

You will need an XIM box if you want the XFI to control it. If you are on a budget you could just buy a set of coils off an LS1 and modify the optispark for the cam signal and use a FAST crank sensor. You could use the optispark for BOTH crank and cam signals if you are on a real budget.

How much for the XIM box? No budget, I just want the damn thing fixed and done correctly. I am no where remotely interested in having to rely on that opti for anything! Can LS2 coils be used as well?

What's all involved in using the XIM? Have you personally seen a EFI 24x system being controlled by the XFI? I don't want to be the 1st test subject w/ this but if I have to so be it. Thanks for the response.

You could also get your hand on a 96-97 front cover with a bulit in gm crank sensor setup and just use your opti for a cam signal

You could also get your hand on a 96-97 front cover with a bulit in gm crank sensor setup and just use your opti for a cam signal

Already have that covered as I'm running the big block snout. :D But again, I'm not interested in that pos opti if my life depends on it.

You will then need to come up with some way to get a cam signal.
Is the motor out of the car? you could quite possibly machine hte intake adn use the cam sensor/oil pump drive out of the big block coil on plug motor

Motor is in the car. Maybe I'm missing something here but I thought the EFI Connection setup would pretty much have what I'd need for the cam sensor, no? I'm no technical expert and some of this is beyond my scope.

24x_LT1_Components.jpg

Thats what you need . Do they give you a connector to convert opti to cam and crank sensors. Wow just looked at that site. you get a complete harness with that setup. Did you buy that kit ? that kit is for running ls1 computer and harness. I dont think you can run that with the stock lt1 computer. Maybe I missed something but that is what I get from it.

No haven't bought the kit yet as I was unsure on how to wire this thing up! They did say the crank and cam sensors do not include connector pigtails, so I need those as well (about $12.00 each). LS2 Coil Bracket Assemblies (brackets, coils, coil harnesses, and attaching hardware. The thing I'm not sure about is how XIM works and the harness that comes w/ it. This is the response I got via email.

"Our 24x LT1 hardware and sensor package allows the LT1 engine to output the crank and cam signals of an LS1 engine. Wiring the sensors to a FAST (or other aftermarket) controller, is something you’re going to have to research. Having never used a FAST system, I would imagine that all you need is a FAST controller (and harness) for an LS1 application and you’re good to go. You may have to change some wire lengths due to the different sensor layout between LS1 and LT1 engines. Perhaps you can rework your existing FAST harness? You’ll have to ask FAST about that".

I get that figured out and the order will commence right then and there.

Yes that would work, I have not seen this before.
The 24x should be fine with the XIM.

No haven't bought the kit yet as I was unsure on how to wire this thing up! They did say the crank and cam sensors do not include connector pigtails, so I need those as well (about $12.00 each). LS2 Coil Bracket Assemblies (brackets, coils, coil harnesses, and attaching hardware. The thing I'm not sure about is how XIM works and the harness that comes w/ it. This is the response I got via email.

"Our 24x LT1 hardware and sensor package allows the LT1 engine to output the crank and cam signals of an LS1 engine. Wiring the sensors to a FAST (or other aftermarket) controller, is something you’re going to have to research. Having never used a FAST system, I would imagine that all you need is a FAST controller (and harness) for an LS1 application and you’re good to go. You may have to change some wire lengths due to the different sensor layout between LS1 and LT1 engines. Perhaps you can rework your existing FAST harness? You’ll have to ask FAST about that".

I get that figured out and the order will commence right then and there.

The price can get crazy if you buy everthing from them. Cal will be the guy to talk to. either way you need the timing cover for sensors and reluctor wheel for crank. I dont know how easy it is to tune a xfi or ls1 computer.Cal should be able to help

Yes that would work, I have not seen this before.
The 24x should be fine with the XIM.

They've been around 2 yrs w/ excellent results. No one has said a negative thing about their product. How would the XIM work in terms of the harness and do you sell the XIM?

The price can get crazy if you buy everthing from them. Cal will be the guy to talk to. either way you need the timing cover for sensors and reluctor wheel for crank. I dont know how easy it is to tune a xfi or ls1 computer.Cal should be able to help

Oh, I know all about the price. I'll have to get the timing cover as I have a double roller, the harness (not sure about) coils brackets etc. Looking at 1500 give or take and lets not forget the XIM. I go throw 3 optis I'm damn near 1/2 way there. I've got a local guy who tunes LS motors all day long and he's tuned mine before so I'm good there.

That setup will work fine with an XIM box. You will also need the LS1 coils. Since money isn't an object, I would go that route. It can be done a LOT cheaper using a FAST crank sensor and converting the opti to a cam signal, once again using LS1 coils. Feel free to call me at 321-722-1563 if you have any questions.

That setup will work fine with an XIM box. You will also need the LS1 coils. Since money isn't an object, I would go that route. It can be done a LOT cheaper using a FAST crank sensor and converting the opti to a cam signal, once again using LS1 coils. Feel free to call me at 321-722-1563 if you have any questions.

Cal, I'll be calling when it all arrives. Picked up a used XIM for a great deal already. An XIM is an XIM right, nothing special about one box over the other is there?

You should be fine. You may have to re-flash the XIM if it has an older firmware. From the picture you posted, the crank and cam plugs should be correct too.
Some of the older XIM's didn't have a tach output wire, but that isn't a biggie since you can steal it from the "discrete crank output" wire in the cam hall-effect plug. If you are running the factory tach, you may have to get creative.
If your XFI is older and doesn't have the CAN connectors, you will need a CAN retrofit harness

My XFI was purchased back in Mar of 06'. I'd have to look at my printed up pin out sheet to see if I have this but I am thinking I could get away w/ using a Dakota Digital SGI-8 Universal tach adapter. Already use their SGI-5 for a speedo now. The XIM was purchased last yr from the guy I'm buying it from....unsure of the firmware however. Should know more about it later this evening. Thanks Cal.

I know you are very much against using the Optispark for anything, but if it is used only as a cam signal in a COP setup, it will probably fare better than it will as an actual ignition distributor. One of the more significant pitfalls of the Optispark that I have been told of is that the buildup of ozone within the distributor leads to rapid corrosion of the internals, which obviously would explain the high failure rate of these units. Eliminate the spark, and you quite possibly eliminate a major factor in premature failure. Just sayin'. :D

I believe to use the opti for a cam signal it has to be modded to have only 1 signal per revolution.

I know you are very much against using the Optispark for anything, but if it is used only as a cam signal in a COP setup, it will probably fare better than it will as an actual ignition distributor. One of the more significant pitfalls of the Optispark that I have been told of is that the buildup of ozone within the distributor leads to rapid corrosion of the internals, which obviously would explain the high failure rate of these units. Eliminate the spark, and you quite possibly eliminate a major factor in premature failure. Just sayin'. :D

You are correct but also using a aftermarket ignition box kills them fairly quickly as well, vented or not. Still, it'll fare better w/ out the use of distributor but it's still an opti in my book and seeing how they're better options out there, that's the way I'm swinging. Love my LT1, hate that opti.

You should be fine. You may have to re-flash the XIM if it has an older firmware. From the picture you posted, the crank and cam plugs should be correct too.
Some of the older XIM's didn't have a tach output wire, but that isn't a biggie since you can steal it from the "discrete crank output" wire in the cam hall-effect plug. If you are running the factory tach, you may have to get creative.
If your XFI is older and doesn't have the CAN connectors, you will need a CAN retrofit harness

Cal, part # is 305008 so what's all required as it's the universal one?