Wtf?

Hey meanchicken, I cruise the San Diego/ Escondido area. I'm still bringing my car up to speed. Just bought a Scan Master so just waiting to install that. My goal is to have a constant 13 sec. GN, no alky or other stuff. I want to keep the car original and a reliable daily driver.

Does anyone else get in the mindset I do when I'm driving my GN? It's like I'm searching for my next victim. I scour the landscape for that unsuspecting Mustang or muscle car hoping they will eventually get beside me and give me that look. You know the look I mean. :D It's like I feel there's always a challenge around the next turn or just over the hill and I look forward to it. But alas, it's usually for naught as the Mustang usually turns out to be a six cylinder or the Vette, cutting in and out of traffic to finally get beside you, turns out to be some big breasted blond. My emotions lift and fall with each supposed confrontation until I get to work or home, considering the time of day.
Then there are the weekends when I go to the cruises specifically to find some action but it seems as the loud cars leave and you try to follow for that all important confrontation that they just disappear into the night. When you are lucky enough to get beside one they either shake their heads no or turn off. What happened to the old days. :confused:

In the summers of 05 and 06, I had people lining up to have a go at my car. I won all but about 3 races between those 2 summers. Summer of 07? Nothing. I mean not a single car in michigan would race me... That was my last season due to the military... I missed all of 08 and 09. Hope to be back on the scene for 010. This time, with a tighter engine, and a boat load more knowledge.
When I go out, I can't buy a race. I sorta feel pissed off too. It's like, WTF?? I mind as well just sell this brick and buy a WS6. (which I've been eyeing for a while)
Ahh well. We'll see what happens in 010.

And Flaco, you said your turbo doesn't like the heat? Try this. I respect your quest to keep it original, as I am in the same boat as you. Drain your anti-freeze, flush the system, and fill it up with distilled water, and RMI25. Check your radiator cap to ensure it's doing what it's supposed to be doing, and install a 160 degree thermostat. The chip should be a modern chip, that also turns your fans on at an earlier interval.
Run a day with your current set up, and physically record the water temps and air temps from the scan master. Then put in the setup that I suggested, and re-record the air and water temps, to see what sort of difference it makes.
If you're not running the setup I suggested, I bet you you'll feel a little bit of a difference. And it's not noticable to the eyes either.

Remember, if your car's totally stock, keep good octane in it, as not only are they detonation machines, but the gas is a tad different than it used to be from 1987.
Watch out who you race in your stocker, as todays cars are soo much faster from the factory than they used to be.

Hey meanchicken, I cruise the San Diego/ Escondido area. I'm still bringing my car up to speed. Just bought a Scan Master so just waiting to install that. My goal is to have a constant 13 sec. GN, no alky or other stuff. I want to keep the car original and a reliable daily driver.

Definitely get that Scanmaster on there and watch it like a hawk.
After killing my old engine at 15lbs of boost while not using alky with this Cali gas....now I won't leave home without it. The guys at the shop where I buy V1 Methanol 5 gallons at a time miss me if I don't show up every 6-8 weeks for another 5gallons.
Think of it as an insurance policy to avoid a much higher repair bill. A system like Alkycontrol is pretty well blended into the engine compartment so you barely notice it.

Or do what a few guys here have done and convert to E85. You wont need the alky and the E85 conversion is actually kinda simple from what I've read on it.

Does anyone else get in the mindset I do when I'm driving my GN? It's like I'm searching for my next victim. I scour the landscape for that unsuspecting Mustang or muscle car hoping they will eventually get beside me and give me that look. You know the look I mean. :D It's like I feel there's always a challenge around the next turn or just over the hill and I look forward to it.... :confused:

YES!:D
YES!:D
YES!!!!!:D
Thank god it's not just me!!!!

uh....do you hear the music too....?
I hear it whenever I'm driving....
You know the song that plays when ever Darth Vador walks in....?
:redface:

You need a sleeper. You need to get a "de badged" TTA and hide those GN's. I had some GN's in the past with the same no race issues. Now that I have a non badged TTA, everyone thinks I am an old TPI 305 V-8 Trans Am:tongue:

You need a sleeper. You need to get a "de badged" TTA and hide those GN's. I had some GN's in the past with the same no race issues. Now that I have a non badged TTA, everyone thinks I am an old TPI 305 V-8 Trans Am:tongue:

Agreed. I get alot more action with the White-T than the GN...:rolleyes:

I dunno.
Most days I feel like I could step out of my garage, throw a rock in any direction and probably hit someome who wants to try and race the GN.

Not sure why I get so lucky.

I do drive around areas where I know there are lots of high performance cars lurking about (foreign and domestic). When I go out on one of my little night time hunts, or when i'm driving too/from work, sometimes it takes 5 minutes and sometimes it takes an hour, but I find a kill or a killer more often than not.

There's people around here with "hot" cars, but again, no one ever wants to race the GN...and they're LOOKING for a race.. :confused: Either that or there's too much traffic to go when there's someone worthwhile next to me.. or they're going the opposite direction. I had two kids in a '99 V6 Mustang give me the thumbs up last night, that's about it. The import tuner/ricer kids who think thier sh*t doesn't stink all hang out in the NTB (National Tire and Battery) parking lot and they all look when they hear the wwhhhoooooooosssshhhh....poofft, pooffft, pooffft.. but no one will come after me. I refuse to converse with those kids for the most part, but if they don't have the balls to come after me then f' em. It's not like my car is loud either, I still have the stock (original) exhaust/dp/cat on it too. The old school muscle car crowd/club don't really cruise around or hang out anywhere anymore.. There's now 2 sonic blue '03/'04 Cobras around here, one runs high 11s and the other one just emerged out of no where with (at least) an aftermarket exhaust on it. The latter one was cruising around last friday night, weaving in and out for traffic, revving at Malibus and Camrys and being just a regular do-rag wearing, gangsta' leaning tool. I stayed back, following him and watched this kid for a few minutes and after I finally got annoyed at looking at his ugly car, I romped on it and blew bast him and while my front fender was passing him on his drivers side door I let off so he could hear my wastegate. When he saw/heard my car his head snapped my way and he jumped a little, I guess he wasn't expecting that. :D IMMEDIATELY after which, he slammed on his brakes and pulled into Walgreens..at 11:30 at night. Must've had to get that prescription filled for being a douche bag. :rolleyes:

I give up. It's going to be time to put this thing away for the winter soon anyway so that'll give me time to get the loan paid off and get some of the mods I want/need. Maybe next summer? :frown:

I don't get too much action in a medium sized Iowa city. Most of what I get is a car full of teens in a four cylinder import who have seen a GN in Fast and Furious and think they need to see me smoke the tires. Maybe it is just the mentality around here. I am not much of a street racer at all and I pick and choose my runs very carefully. Most of the time, it isn't an actual race .. it's me leaving someone in the dust because I am sick of them pacing me in my blindspot.

I have bad luck anyway. Every time I am given a perfect opportunity, I am in the Cobra or the truck. I have to sit there and think, "If I only had the Buick out...."

blind spot and gawkers

i think we all understand the fools who like to hang around in the blind spots. as a motorcycle rider i've learned real quick that's not the place you want to be period. i get people all the time who want me to smoke the tires or run them and i also pick and choose my races very carefully. regardless what we have is a picasso plain and simple. buick broke the mold when they built the car. glad they didn't keep producing them as i'm sure it would affect the value of our cars. to us they are priceless but to some people they are just a car. i live in dallas fort worth and here i get alot of people who want to run me, or for me to beat the hell out of my car. i refuse about 90% of the time or more, smile and wave or throw the peace sign out and go about my business. only problem i have is when someone who looks shady takes a liking to my car, i'd hate to shoot someone over my car but i won't be giving my keys up to anyone anytime soon. i have a problem with anyone in my family driving it much less giving them to someone who's intentions are unlawful. i'm sure i'm not the only one who feels this way.

I get all sorts of cars and bikes wanting to run me around here. I have big fat M/T ET streets, weld drag lites, 3 inch ATR and car is loud. From the back you can clearly see the LPW Ultimate girdle as well as the axle tube braces. Car just looks fast even standing still.

I pick and choose my races but they are still plentiful. I could probably post here weekly, this happens every single time I take the car out. Mine is low 11's and I drive it to track. Does real well against bikes on the street, in fact I gave it to two of them tonight, sport bikes, but they were asking for it from a dig.

I guess people around here aren't as well educated on the mighty Buick GN, but hey I am doing my best. Like I said there were two more graduates tonight from the school of getting your ass handed to you by a little old V6.

Recent graduates include:
Several Mustangs, thanks to the local Mustang Club
Cameros (new and old)
S-10's with big blocks
Porsches
Sport bikes (not sure what, all look the same to me)
T-Rex 3 wheel bike
Chevelles
Corvettes
SRT4's ans SRT8's
Jeep SRT8

etc.. the list goes on

I have not had a close race in years even at the track. At the track I get lined up against 7-8-9 or 13-14-15 second cars. On the street the only competition anymore are bikes. The people with competitive cars won't race.

So quit gassing on it and risk a ticket for others amusement.

Mikey

not in this state

in texas if your caught racing it's jail, so i guess who ever is the slowest or has the weakest driver with the least amount of nerve will be the one going to jail. reminds me of a joke, 2 hunters come up on a bear about 100 yrds away one shoot him and the bear comes charging, the guys take off running, and are neck and neck. one stops pulls his backpack off and the other is like WTF is up with you, the guys replies i'm pulling out my tennis shoes, all i gotta do is out run you.

Same crap happened to me today...Leaving a local car show and a 70 Chevelle taunts me as he's pulling out of the lot. I caught up to him by chance, and the light ahead turns yellow...(he is 2 car lengths behind me in the right lane) I stop for the light ready to go, he speeds up through the light.:rolleyes: I think his buddy talked him out of it.:p He thought he was "all that" til it was time to s#!t or get off the pot...he got off the pot in a hurry. Truth be told, he woulda prolly smoked me anyway....after all, it is just a Hot Air.:eek:;)

Same crap happened to me today...Leaving a local car show and a 70 Chevelle taunts me as he's pulling out of the lot. I caught up to him by chance, and the light ahead turns yellow...(he is 2 car lengths behind me in the right lane) I stop for the light ready to go, he speeds up through the light.:rolleyes: I think his buddy talked him out of it.:p He thought he was "all that" til it was time to s#!t or get off the pot...he got off the pot in a hurry. Truth be told, he woulda prolly smoked me anyway....after all, it is just a Hot Air.:eek:;)

I had a guy in a 70' Charger do that to me once.
Goosed his throttle as he passed me....light up ahead turns yellow and he floors it, blowing the red light rather than face the music.

I guess he let fear and common sense get in his way.....:biggrin:

The F&F effect

When I first got my GN a few years ago.. I couldn't take the misses out for an ice cream or drive to get a movie without someone wanting to get schooled by me... now... all I get is points, thumbs up, asking for for my best waterbox impersionation, or nods, everyone backs out, never pulls up, just clears the way... sort of nice in a way if you think about it.

I think that the younger kids driving the rice rockets, or mommy/daddy bought stangs and F-bodies, all now know what a GNor t-type is. At least they know more so then they did in years past. I attribute it to the Fast and Furious 3 opening scene with the GN in it last summer... people who didn't know what it was, asked, googled, you-tube, then got schooled on the net and then probably in person a few times and now just respect it.

They all know what a GN is few of them know what a T Type is......:biggrin:

They all know what a GN is few of them know what a T Type is......:biggrin:

Very, VERY true. A good percentage know to stay away from "the black car", but don't notice the wolf in sheeps clothing.

It's for this very reason I'd love to own a 2nd TB. A tan or light blue Turbo-T, to be exact.

I can't see why you guys are having such a hard time pulling some action. Maybe you folks need to hit up 'Bama some. We have several cash purses going on at any given time during the week (both on and off the track) I've got a built n/a mustang that isn't much at the moment, it'll hang with or beat you stock 14 second guys, but anything faster than a 12.86 will currently run away from it. However I've seen the light and went and got myself a little hair drier for it and hopefully come next spring it'll be ready to rock and roll. She wins her fair share of races, and I've gotten to the point where I turn down most of them these days, on the streets that is.