WTB ta49 or other turbo for use with stock converter -- precision housing

henschman

I currently have a pt-54. Instead of getting a higher stalled TC as I originally intended, I am just going to buy a smaller turbo and sell the 54. I'm planning on making it a DD/street car, and decided I didn't want to be driving around with a 3200 or 3500. I will consider BB or regular journal turbos if the price is right. Let me know what you have.

I have a TA-49 with a precision 63 housing we should talk. Tony I will PM you my number.

I would also be open to trading my pt-54 for a smaller turbo. the 54 is in really good shape and has very low miles on it since I haven't been driving my buick for a year and a half -- i would say it only has about 5500 miles on the turbo. It has no in-out shaft play, and just a miniscule amount of side to side. It was only run at 16 psi on my car. If somebody is looking for a used turbo around this size, this is probably the best one you'll find. Here are some pics:

You would be a lot better off with a Garrett housing if you want to run a 12".

yeah, but I have a precision downpipe, and I cut off my old one to get it out of the car! Anyway, I kind of like having that cutout. Anyway, the d5 should be able to spool a precision ta49 with my boost controller. It would be a hell of a lot better than the pt-54 that's on there!

yeah, but I have a precision downpipe, and I cut off my old one to get it out of the car! Anyway, I kind of like having that cutout. Anyway, the d5 should be able to spool a precision ta49 with my boost controller. It would be a hell of a lot better than the pt-54 that's on there!
The Garrett and Precision housing have the same bolt locations. The dp shouldnt matter.

really? I guess I just assumed that if a precision housing wouldn't work with a garrett downpipe, a garrett downpipe wouldn't work with a precision housing. Classic fallacy in logic! jeez, i guess I need to spend more time in the tech forums and less in the political opinions one! Thanks for enlightening me. How bad do you think my spool time would be with a precision 49 vs. a garrett? I am planning on running 25 psi on e85 in this thing, so I will be flowing a little more air than your average ta49 I guess.

really? I guess I just assumed that if a precision housing wouldn't work with a garrett downpipe, a garrett downpipe wouldn't work with a precision housing. Classic fallacy in logic! jeez, i guess I need to spend more time in the tech forums and less in the political opinions one! Thanks for enlightening me. How bad do you think my spool time would be with a precision 49 vs. a garrett? I am planning on running 25 psi on e85 in this thing, so I will be flowing a little more air than your average ta49 I guess.

Garrett never made downpipes. Unfortunately i dont have any real data other than g-tech readings for the TE44 (which is the same except for the comp housing). I had one on the engine in my sig last year and it went 124-125mph at 23-24 psi with the g-tech and a lousy converter. Would have went about 121 on the strip on that tune. So 11.0 with a weak launch pretty easy. It had the Garrett .63. It went 126mph at 24 psi with a t72 p trim the next day at 24 psi in 85 degree air at the strip. Spoolup was like a light switch with the 9" converter i had with the 44. You are leaving a lot of spoolup on the table if you go with the Precision housing on that 12". If you have a stock headed car i doubt you would lose more than 1mph with the Garrett housing even at 25 psi. There is a big difference when running the 12". If you had a 3000 stall 9.5" id say go with a Precision .85. E85 requires more exhaust flow than gas but the converter will hold it back too much imo. Converter tech these days has advanced more than turbo tech has in the last 5 years. The converter in my sig does everything right. Great spoolup and excellent coupling efficiency.5% slip on light cruise.