WOT shift points very with temp

85 Riviera

My wide open throttle shift points are set at 5000 RPMs but I have noticed that as my trans warms up to the point of being basicly hot the WOT shift points lower to about 4800 RPMs and even sometimes as low as 4700.
Is this normal for a trans to drop a few 100 RPMs from cold to hot?

hotter trans = thinner fluid = less friction = different shift characteristics

I understand the shift feel will change with temp but is it normal for the WOT shift point (RPM) to change as well?

Thanks in advance:)

sounds like you have a worn out tv upshift valve or sleeve allowing the heated thinner oil to escape reducing its effect on delaying upshifts at a given driveshaft speed .viscosity problems and leaks in the governor circuit would give LATER shifts if they malfunctioned .more probable of a cross leak in the v body than a viscosity problem .also try retorquing the valve body.www.ckperformance.compost results

Thanks a bunch guys, This trans core only has 60,000 miles and just about 15,000 since last rebuild. But I think I'm gonna build another trans in Aug, this one will be better then the one I have now. One reason Im gonna build another one is becuase since I put a 403 in front of this trans I am starting to find a little dust in the pan, (before I never found anything much at all) This trans still breaks traction on WOT shifts but the part throtle is feeling alittle softer then it did back when the trans was fresher.

I have alot of questions on building my next trans and will be asking them soon enough, Thanks in advance, this forum has never let me down:cool: