Cause of varying WOT shift points

Mike T

Been removing material from the small weight on the governor shooting for 5900 WOT shift points. Finally was seeing 5900 1-2 and about 5600 2-3 but it's not repeatable 1-2 can range from 5400 to 5900 and 2-3 from 5200 to 5600. What could cause this ? Preferably I would like both shifts to be closer to 5900. overall I'm pleased with the trans but still chasing a couple of quirks.

Sounds to me that the shaft (in the governor) is not sliding at the same RPM for many different reasons.

Either the transmission or the fluid was not at the same temperature every time you made a pass.

Another way to increase the shift points is to stiffen up the TV limit spring. Works very well but the 1-2 is still higher than the 2-3 doing it that way.

In an old post Chris @ CK stated that a worn modulated upshift valve/bore will show at temperature (like Michael said fluid bleeding past).

Another way to increase the shift points is to stiffen up the TV limit spring. Works very well but the 1-2 is still higher than the 2-3 doing it that way.
I will look at that too and was also wondering if a stiffer spring in the 2/3 would hold it off? Or would that only delay the part throttle shift?

In an old post Chris @ CK stated that a worn modulated upshift valve/bore will show at temperature (like Michael said fluid bleeding past).

I will look at that too and was also wondering if a stiffer spring in the 2/3 would hold it off? Or would that only delay the part throttle shift?
Don’t know, but always wondered.

I think it delays PT more than WOT. Did it on a OG but it had a early PT 2-3 so it didn't bother. I think I used a red 2-3 spring from a Trans Go kit, plus I shimmed it a bit. I think I gained about 200 rpm WOT