WOT and RPM maxing out, need advice please

cottonpicker14

I cant understand why at WOT the max RPM it will go to before it shifts is 4300 or 4400.
I tried WOT also while in third gear only and the most it will go to is 4700 rpms. All the above with test pipe and cut out open.
It runs smooth as silk, no missing, no hesitation, no knock.

Alky with boosting to 21psi
O2 in the low 800's
FP 43 line off
BL at idle around 130
0 knock

Had the following work done recently.

Rebuilt tranny
new torque converter stall of 2800
new 100 lb valve springs
new bearings
new timing chain and gear
complete tune up

Mods that I did last year
Razors alky kit
RJC power plate
test pipe with cutout
160 thermostat
30 lb injectors
Walpro and hot wire

Any suggestions or ideas ?
Thank you

I cant understand why at WOT the max RPM it will go to before it shifts is 4300 or 4400.
I tried WOT also while in third gear only and the most it will go to is 4700 rpms. All the above with test pipe and cut out open.
It runs smooth as silk, no missing, no hesitation, no knock.

Alky with boosting to 21psi
O2 in the low 800's
FP 43 line off
BL at idle around 130
0 knock

Had the following work done recently.

Rebuilt tranny
new torque converter stall of 2800
new 100 lb valve springs
new bearings
new timing chain and gear
complete tune up

Mods that I did last year
Razors alky kit
RJC power plate
test pipe with cutout
160 thermostat
30 lb injectors
Walpro and hot wire

Any suggestions or ideas ?
Thank you

Sounds like the TV cable is out of adjustment. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/transmission-talk/211852-detent-cable.html?highlight=tv+cable HTH Dave

As usual, thanks guys. I am taking it back to the tranny rebuilder on Saturday and will tell him what you recommended. It use to shift much higher (4900 rpms) before he rebuilt or installed the 100 lb valve springs.
Again, thanks for the replies, most appreciated.

Last question. Ok, Now I understand that the adjustment of the TV cable affects when it shiifts, but when I was at WOT in 3rd gear and not overdrive, it would go to 4700 and wouldnt go any higher and of course it would not shift since I was in third. Would the cable being out of adjustment affect that I couldnt go higher than 4700 or does the TV cable only affect the rpm on the shift. Hope that makes sense.

As usual, thanks guys. I am taking it back to the tranny rebuilder on Saturday and will tell him what you recommended. It use to shift much higher (4900 rpms) before he rebuilt or installed the 100 lb valve springs.
Again, thanks for the replies, most appreciated.

Last question. Ok, Now I understand that the adjustment of the TV cable affects when it shiifts, but when I was at WOT in 3rd gear and not overdrive, it would go to 4700 and wouldnt go any higher and of course it would not shift since I was in third. Would the cable being out of adjustment affect that I couldnt go higher than 4700 or does the TV cable only affect the rpm on the shift. Hope that makes sense.

Not Sure. You should try to adjust the cable yourself, and then take it for a test drive. The link I posted tells you how to adjust it. Good luck

There are three good links about the TV cable, how to adjust it and where to buy parts in the TTA FAQ LIst. :)

If it stops pulling at 4700 RPM's.. then its time to seek why. TV only affects shifts.

O2's will tell you if rich or lean. Make sure O2's are in the upper 700's.

Typically when it stops pulling its valve spring issue... cuase they allow the valves to float.

Well, this is what I tried today. I checked the TV cable and it showed 3 notches showing. I pulled it towards the firewall, pushed the accel pedal to the floor and it still showed 3 notches. Still wouldnt go over 4700 rpms
I tried to manually set the cable to only 2 notches and it shifted softer and didnt make a difference.
The thing I didnt try was to have 4 notches showing.
Any idea of which way the cable notches should go to make it shift at a later rpm ? If 3 is factory, would moving it to 4 showing (which I guess is making the cable longer ?) make it shift at a higher rpm ? Lastly, like I mentioned, it is going back to the tranny place on Saturday.

If it stops pulling at 4700 RPM's.. then its time to seek why. TV only affects shifts.

O2's will tell you if rich or lean. Make sure O2's are in the upper 700's.

Typically when it stops pulling its valve spring issue... cuase they allow the valves to float.

What would be the "typical" rpm for it to stop pulling??? I have the 100# valve springs and mine seems to stop pulling at maybe 5k rpms.

The tach shows 4700 and the Scanmaster shows 4700. No, I didnt rev it, was afraid of damaging engine. Is it suggested to try revving it in park to see if it will go over 4700 ?

The tach shows 4700 and the Scanmaster shows 4700. No, I didnt rev it, was afraid of damaging engine. Is it suggested to try revving it in park to see if it will go over 4700 ?

No I don't think I would if it was my car. When it hits 4700 is it smooth, or does it act like its bouncing off the rev limiter?

Valvesprings FOR SURE!! Dollar to a Donut your "Shop" Charged you for the VS Install but DID NOT DO the JOB!! :eek: Did you get the old springs back??
Also on just about Every TR I've done ~85#-90# Valvesprings on made a 'Little' noise for a few hundred miles..was yours quiet??