Worth switching to Methanol from Denatured ?

mytta49

I have been running Denatured for about a year. A friend of mine just ordered a 55 gallon drum of Methanol for his TR and wants to sell some.
Is it worth changing over ? Will my Turbotweak Alky chip have to be reprogammed. Is it worth switching or should I stick with the denatured. TTA has been running fine with 21 lbs of boost on denatured, but he keeps telling that Methanol is better. Pros and cons ?
thanks

I'm also curious of the possible benefits of switching to Meth. I understand that it's more like a fuel, as far as it's valitility. I talked to a guy running meth now instead of denatured alcy, but it was only brief and didn't get to ask many more questions. Anyone ahve more info??? thanks

What alky kit are both of you using? Meth can eat the seals of some kits....contact the manufacturer of the kit you use to ensure compatibility with meth.

Meth is a fuel.

Your TT alky chip will be fine. I currently have Razor's PAC (meth), and used to have an SMC kit (denatured). No drama.

What alky kit are both of you using? Meth can eat the seals of some kits....contact the manufacturer of the kit you use to ensure compatibility with meth.

Meth is a fuel.

Your TT alky chip will be fine. I currently have Razor's PAC (meth), and used to have an SMC kit (denatured). No drama.

I'm using the old in tank pump SMC kit. The owner/vendor said that i was ok to run meth with this older kit, the other guy I tlaked to a few weekends ago at Beach Bend was running the same SMC kit I have on his hot air GN, he said that you just make sure that you buy meth that is lubricated. Apparently you can buy it already with lubrication in it. ??? never bought it before so I don't know if it all comes lubed or if this was a specific kind. Lubing it's not a concern as I have to add lube to my denatured alch. I'm going to take some notes next week at the Buick Nationals and see what is preffered and currently most used. Thanks

I'm using the old in tank pump SMC kit. The owner/vendor said that i was ok to run meth with this older kit, the other guy I tlaked to a few weekends ago at Beach Bend was running the same SMC kit I have on his hot air GN, he said that you just make sure that you buy meth that is lubricated. Apparently you can buy it already with lubrication in it. ??? never bought it before so I don't know if it all comes lubed or if this was a specific kind. Lubing it's not a concern as I have to add lube to my denatured alch. I'm going to take some notes next week at the Buick Nationals and see what is preffered and currently most used. Thanks

Preferred kits are PAC, SMC progressive, Devil's own, and others. SMC says your kit needs the Klotz Lube with your kit with either denatured or meth.

Meth doesn't come pre-lubed.

Another benefit of meth is cost. Dentaured runs about $10/gal, while you can get meth for about $2-3/gallon.

I have Razors kit. Need to know if changing to Meth would change any of my scan numbers. I currently have a BLM number of 129, O2's at WOT are between 790 and 830.
Is there any benefit to changing over other than cost ? Will I be able to run more boost with Meth ? Any other reason to change over or not change over ?

Numbers look good- depending on your combo, there's some more left in there:biggrin:

Best thing to do for your kit is call Julio and make sure the kit you have has no issues with meth. You'll need the number off the controller....

Numbers look good- depending on your combo, there's some more left in there:biggrin:

Best thing to do for your kit is call Julio and make sure the kit you have has no issues with meth. You'll need the number off the controller....

Correct.

Meth is cheaper and can make more power. Note the word "can" ;)

Meth doesn't come pre-lubed.

You can buy vp racing's Meth already lubed.....If your running Razor's kit,Make sure that you get the right one...ShurFlo pumps do not like lube.....Dont ask me how I know.

Most guys selling the meth at the track will ask you which you want...(Lubed or Not)...But I have heard that if you dont specify...They will normally give you the lubed stuff,Since most racers always add something to it anyway.

Anyone running meth should ask the person they get it from If they offer it both ways...Just to be certain that you are getting the right one.

You can buy vp racing's Meth already lubed.....If your running Razor's kit,Make sure that you get the right one...ShurFlo pumps do not like lube.....Dont ask me how I know.

Most guys selling the meth at the track will ask you which you want...(Lubed or Not)...But I have heard that if you dont specify...They will normally give you the lubed stuff,Since most racers always add something to it anyway.

Anyone running meth should ask the person they get it from If they offer it both ways...Just to be certain that you are getting the right one.

Thanks for the info.:cool:

Meth has a slightly higher latent heat of vaporization. Which means more cooling ability per weight. Its also a lot cheaper. You can expect to run a slightly higher volume of methanol to achieve the same amount of energy vs ethanol. Meth will make more power than other alkys if the tune is right as Razor noted. I would add the Klotz lube if you are in doubt about the pump longevity. Your better off asking the supplier. Only 15cc per gallon is needed for SMC in tank pumps.

Question for Razor, if the local supplier says his Methanol has lube in it, can I still use it in your system. I have one of your newer systems.

Most tracks use the methanol to cut the VHT.. doubt they would use one with lube. Ask for it plain.

HTH

Spoke to the local guy selling it, says its clear and its Sunoco. Guess I can give it try and can always switch back to denatured ?