Won't start after washing under hood

stonewallracing

I know this one has probably come up more than once in the past, but my search really didn't get me any ideas of where to start.

I washed my 87 T today and I did spray under the hood around the sides of the motor being careful not to spray directly onto the engine or electronics.

I have done this dozens of times before, without an issue. Now it won't start.

I put a couple fans under the hood; one under the crank sensor blowing up and another blowing down over the engine. Six hours later, still no go.

Where do I start looking for the problem?

Do I just give it time to dry out?? If that's the answer do I need to worry about driving anywhere in the rain??

Thanks for any advice!

SW

let it dry out, if you did'nt cover the coil pack then there's always a chance of some water seeping thru, it's happen to me whenever i forget to cover it up, but after 8 hrs or so she starts right up. your not getting any spark are you?

I remember one time several years ago when I washed under the hood of my car without being very careful not to get the electronic stuff too wet... & although it would start, it ran really,really rough......I left the hood open for several hours & whatever it was that I got wet must have finally dried out because it ran pefectly smooth again....

I don't take any special precautions when I pressure wash my engine compartment, but also have an air compressor and immediately after pressure washing I blow all the water out of all wiring and sensors. I've never had a no start problem or even a rough idle.

I have always sprayed the entire motor with Simple Green then high pressure wash with deionized water. Just don't drench the alternator and coil. There has been two times where it has cut out after washing. Just let it dry out for a couple hrs. I like too start washing with the motor a little warm now so the heat will help dissipate the water. ;) Then I spray Turtle Wax T2 Tire spray while still damp & shut the hood and wash the rest of the car. :)

no go

36 hours with the fans blowing in engine compartment and still no go.

I checked all the fuses, and re-checked the electrical connections and everything seems dry.

Ideas where should I go next?

SW

Check for spark, fuel pressure, and injector pulse. Results will narrow down what got (snicker, snicker) 'hosed' (literally... :) ) Sorry... couldn't help myself....

Well, I got no spark!

Looks like no spark is my problem. Gonna start working that angle and see what I can find!

It would be nice to find out it's just the coil pack!

SW

Pull the coil pack/module ass'y off and separate. Make sure it isn't wet between them. Separate/dry/clean (contact cleaner/wd40) connectors at ignition, cam sensor and crank sensor. Ohm the coil pack (although one wouldn't think a washing would hurt the coil pack itself). Casper's tester sure would come in handy here. If the coil pack ohms out ok, re-install/connect and give it a shot. Here's a link from gnttype.org with the factory 'no-start' diagnostic tree. It's pretty simple, thorough, and self explanatory. Just follow it, and you'll get it back running. :)
No Start Diagnosis - Page 1

This is the way I wash my engines on my other cars
K1500, G20, Astro, Toyotas
1-worm it up some
2-spray the gunk degreaser on it
3-use a hard brush on the heavy grease areas
4-turn the car back on
5-then hose it down.
Do you guys think this formula could be a problem for a turbo buick.

i was going to wash it this week end but now;
i can't see the dirt with the hood closed.

do not use gunk! that stuff will ruin sensors fast. these cars electronics are way to delicate to use that caustic stuff. use a mild degreaser like simple green or one of the orange cleaners. i personaly have used this orange clean foam and it works pretty good

If you hosed down your motor and you have no spark. Your ignition module has taken a sh it. I did that years ago with the same problem.