Won't run

ShadowII

The IAC valve is not adjustable. It moves as a function of TPS, Coolant temp, VSS (vehicle speed) MAF, etc. Changing the TPS will get the IAC to react differently. Normally you'll want to see the IAC at around 30-40 counts at idle in park. The minimum air setting should be set with the IAC driven in all the way and disconneted. Depending on the size of your cam, you should set the minimum air rate to allow the engine to idle at around 500-600 RPM. Plug it back in and cycle the key a few times to reset the computers IAC zero counts position.

Disconneting the ECM after you do work is also not ness. Just disconnect the battery and re-connect.

Now... to your problem.

If you think you have a vacuum leak somewhere... get a propane bottle with a wand probe and a button style flow valve so you can flow propane around the intake and such and see if the engine rises in RPM when you get to suspected vacuum leak area's. You can do this with a can of "flammable" carb spray too. It must be flammable though (some of the new style carb sprays are not flammable).

Can you make the engine idle decently by just holding the throttle open slightly?? Or does it take mashing the throttle and quite a bit of throttle opening to keep it running??

Would be nice if you had a scan tool. You can buy used Snap On scanners now on Ebay for as cheap as $500. That would be an excellent tool to have to see all of the data. I would like to know where you Block learn and Intergrator readings are. Plus you can see if your Coolant sensor is reporting correctly and all the other sensors as well. I've seen plenty of coolant sensors fail just 40-50 degrees out of range and will make a car run lean as hell when trying to start cold and lean pretty much all the rest of the time.

To check and see if the heads or intake are exposing vacuum to the crankcase area.....

Cap off any leaks into the crankcase at the valve covers (i.e. breathers, breather hoses). Remove your PCV valve from the valley and start your car. Get a vacuum gauge with some hole size incresers to fit the vacuum gauge to where the PCV used to plug into the valley. With the engine running, you shouldn't see any vacuum there, it should be just pressure from ring blow by. If you've got vacuum, you'd better check your intake or heads having a port area exposed to the crankcase.

Hope that helps. Here's the phone number to the shop if you need help. (818) 772-1737

I took apart the Translator just now and found the switches. Man what a case of RTFM (Read the F***ing Manual). I have my settings at

On
On
On
Off

MAF Base 3
MAF WOT 0

I am putting it back together now. I'll let you all know how it runs

Thanks guys

Well, I put everything back together, reset the fuel pressure. It seems like it wants to run, but, I still need to just barely push on the gas. I must be getting close.

Well, after running the car for a while, I noticed that the fan never turned on. I stopped the engine after I heard the antifreeze in the radiator boiling. Thankfully it was cool and windy so the engine cooled off quickly. I know I don't have a bad ground, the entire wiring harness is new. Also, while the engine was running, it still would not have enough vacuum to close the heater valve. I then changed the billet vacuum block out with an old stock plastic one. The vacuum got a little better but still not enough to pull the heater valve closed.

Could my throttle body and upper plenum be hosed up? None of this makes any sense. What could keep my fan from running? The fan relay sensor is new and one of the hi/low sensors is new. I'm thinking of just giving up. Well, maybe next week will be better.

Jack after thinking about our phone conversation,and reading the last post. You definately need another experienced pair of eyes over there and a scan tool. Does the car have any guages? If you are running this thing with no guages and no scan tool you can screw it up without even knowing it :eek:

You need to find out from Red do you have a flat tappit cam or a roller cam. And if you have a flat tappit ,ask him about the cam breakin. If you've been starting and stopping it without a proper cam breakin you're already in big trouble. But before you get worried about that just ask,then go from there.

Think of any tools/parts you may want me to bring when I come over next weekend.HTH Steve

Steve,
After looking up the cam that I had gotten from ATR, I realize that it is not a flat tappit, definately a roller cam. Red is also very hard to get a hold of. I'll hold on until you get here. Thanks