Wiring the Switched Ground to the Fuel Pump Relay on a Mustang

Mikes88Stang

Well, FAST install is done except for wiring the FAST to the fuel pump relay. I have asked around and some have tried to help, but I am still confused. Any help?

here's a schematic of a standard bosch relay

the OEM relay should be similar and if so follow the bottom drawing.

circuits.jpg

AGHHHH!

OEM realay is differant. I will do my best wome ASCII for ya :)

---------||---------
| |(3) --- (4) |
| |
| |(2) |
| |
| |(1) |
|--------------------
Thats the relay W/ 1&2 being small spades and 3&4 being large.

Alan, on turbomustangs.com you said you wired a second relay to trigger the stock one. Mind giving me a description of how you did it? Thanks!

go buy a bosch type relay and hook it up using the second half of the diagram. now the OUTPUT (+) from the relay you set up will be used to trigger the OEM relay.

Slowly I am understanding this drawing. I am sorry to be such a pain. Looking at the relay under "Ground to turn on circuit" 36 and 30 get a constant 12V, 87A is not going to be used, 87 will be my positive to the OEM relay and 86 will be my switched ground from the fast. Right? or am I confusing 87A and 87? Anyway I thing we are getting closer!

why would you use a relay to trigger a relay? that's just one more part that can fail... the FAST should be able to drive any relay so just have it run the stock one directly if you're set on using it... the only limitation on hooking something to the FAST is the amount of current it will draw, and the stock relays should be in the milliamp range just like any other relay... just make sure you're not hooking the pump directly to the FAST... that'll only give you fuel for about a second :D

All you need to do is hook it in front of the inertia swtich. Once you key on, you get 12V across the switch in the trunk. Remove that wire and hook your switched 12V wire to it instead. This way your inertia switch still works and you use the stock relay & wiring...That is if your application has an inertia switch or fuel kill switch in it...

I ended up wiring the switched FAST to a relay. This made a switched 12V+ that I used on the trigger wire (red w/ black stripe). Then I grounded the brown/teal wire to a chasis ground. It worked perfect.