wiring electric fuel pump...looking for ideas

karolko

I was wondering how some of you guys have wired in your electric fuel pumps.

I am running xfi but all my AUX outputs are being used, so i cannot utilize any of these to turn the pump on at a certain temp.

I guess i am wondering if you guys run them 100% of the time when the car is running or if you leave them off until the engine reaches a certain temp.

This car is not a daily driver, more like a sunday thrasher and drag car.

Just looking for ideas.

Adrian

I don't understand. If I don't run my pump 100% of the time when the engine's running,... it will stop running

SHIT i am retarded. yes i mean water pump.

Holy shit, i have been hanging around some local ford guys to long, i am starting to sound retarded like them :)

I did some research on running an electric pump without a thermostat and came across this site: http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_temperature_controllers.htm Choose a temp and it will vary pump and/or fan speed. It runs pump at 35% (or something) at cold start to simulate what a thermostat would do. I haven't gone any further with it, heck I don't have an electric pump, but I thought a stand alone controller that could run fan and pump would be awesome.

i don't like the idea of running an electrical component at partial voltage. I think i am simply going to run the water pump with my iginition switch and have an override button to keep it on after the car is off.

I am going to dril one or two holes in the thermostat to allow water to bypass.

Adrian

I would run it whenever the ignition is on and put a secondary switch on it so you can run it in the pits to cool the motor with the fan on.

You don't want to rely on temp to turn it on because heat around the cylinders and exhaust ports won't be the same as what it is at the temp sensor in the intake.

You make a good point mike, non homogenous water temps.

How many holes do you reccomend i drill into my thermostat. I still want to run one so that my coolant temps heat up pretty quickly. I live in Canada and it is much cooler overall than most other places in the US.

Right now i can easily wire the pump as you mentioned no problem, except i have a complicated wiring setup already with my fan and fan override at WOT.

I guess my question is would it be useless to only have a waterpump on when i am in the pits cooling off the car WITHOUT the fan on? I know having the fan on will help cooling moreso than not, but....

I would run it without a thermostat. If it doesn't heat up enough with an open hole, put a restrictor in it. http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/63...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIrn_eyQ8LYCFUdU4AodAVQAnA

For cool down in the pits, I like to run the fan all the time and flip the pump on for a few seconds every few minutes to exchange the water between the motor and radiator. So, no I don't think you would be running the pump without the fan, but you may run the fan without the pump.

Hmmmm so you woudl say that the motor comes up to temp fairly fast without a thermostat or just a restrictor? Roughly how long?

It depends on a lot of things. How much timing your running, radiator, pump, cylinder wall thickness, fuel etc..

I'm not sure what the coldest weather is when you still want to drive the car. But I wouldn't set the car and cooling system up for the cold weather and have it potentially suffer at the track when the weather is warm. Set the car up for the track and make it work elsewhere. If you just can't get the car to warm up enough with no thermostat or a restrictor, then put a thermostat in it.