wires melting...

chaw

Suddenly my wires from my spark plugs are melting. I've replaced them twice in the last 4 days. They sit next to the Turbo pipes but am wondering why too hot suddenly and melting my wires?
I should add that this is happening suddenly. Never had the problem before with this car. I know about heat sheaths but don't want to spend the money on that if it is another problem causing this sudden extra heat off my pipes.

Thanks for any info.

oh, I have a 78 lesabre, 3.8.

Most aftermarket kit are "semi-universal". They might be specific for a V6, they will fit many different V6's. Most of the wires are longer than they should be. A good fitting set won't get close enough to the exhuast pipes to melt.

The passenger side valve cover should have a something bolted to the outer, front of it that helps direct the wires when the make the 90° turn. Either a shield or harness.

What brand wires where they? Are you melting the plug boot's or the wire jacket it self?

melting wires

If your exhaust is getting real hot, do you also notice a significant decrease in power? Do you have the original pellet style catalytic converter? These cats are notorious for clogging rather suddenly, which would result in loss of power and very hot under-hood pipes. Also check for other heat producing problems such as: lean mixture, ignition timing, cooling system, etc.