Wireless intenet.. Equipment Choise.

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
My wireless router just died. If I'm gonna get a new one, might as well upgrade. What is the best bang for the buck? Have a Linksys wrt54g. Lasted less than a year. What is this N type wireless router that claims to be much faster than the G type.

I say Dlink DI-524. Runs 3 computers all the time and up to 6 when the house is full. Has lasted 4 years and is still kicking.

Jason

Would like to increase my speed and range...if thats possible.

... What is this N type wireless router that claims to be much faster than the G type.
The "N" spec is not yet finalized, if you look closely teh Mfr are calling it "draft N" or "pre-draft N".

The risk is that different equipments may not be compatible. AFAIK, few if any computers even come with built-in "N wireless" because the spec is not final. You'd have to mess with the annoying plug-in cards, that stick out fom the case.

I would advise sticking with the established B/G spec routers.

D-Link, Netgear, Linksy are all decent brands of consumer-level, wireless routers. I was using a Linksys WRT54G satisfactorily for a couple years. When I installed Verizon's FioS :smile: optical-fiber service, they provided an ActionTec wireless router as part of the deal.