Winter time and cardinal sin

mapmaker

I can't imagine I am the only one who has had this problem. This is the first winter that I've really had a garage and some re$ource$ to work on my car. I have been reading a ton of stuff here and learning a lot. One thing I have read over and over is - get your car tuned right, add an upgrade, tune,then add the next one, etc. I started doing a few things....one thing led to another, and another, and another. I'll be lucky to remember everything I added this winter, let alone where everything bolts back on!

Started with a fuel pump. Fuel tank is out, see the muffler is blown - will be easier to replace with tank out. Ordered and installed a Pypes system. While I am under there I remember an article about boxing the control arms, whola! Box the arms, powdercoat, install new bushings.

Up front I decide to replace the injectors and chip. Found some clean 50lb injectors and a TT chip. Taking things off, remember an article about porting the plenum - what the heck. Also see a "deal" on a Dutt neck IC, let's put that in. Another deal comes up on a LS1 MAF & translator! While everything is off, I notice the end play in the turbo seems to be a little much. Bison confirms it is way too much - now he is building me a billet 60-1. Can't very well put a turbo like that on with a stock DP! Found another deal on a 3"DP. If I am going to put on a DP, just as well put in a WB, so I ordered a PLX WB setup. My darling wife gave me a Powerlogger for CHRISTmas, installed that over the weekend. Also have a knock alarm and FP sensor to install. Oh, also bought some 8.5" wheels, and MT/295/55/15 DR's.

Alky is next, probably SD or Extender chip also.

I see the "local" track (60 miles away) will have test/tune/grudge openings the end of March. Really hoping I will be ready by then, but think its doubtful. It would help if I could stay in town for a week or two. Also would be great if there were some other experienced TR folks around to help at tune time, but doesn't look like an option in KS.

Thanks to all that share their experience and wisdom - curses to those who post parts "deals" - cant go a day without checking to make sure I haven't missed something.

They say it's an illness but man that first drive after doing something to the car is nothing but :D
Enjoy!

I can't imagine I am the only one who has had this problem. This is the first winter that I've really had a garage and some re$ource$ to work on my car. I have been reading a ton of stuff here and learning a lot. One thing I have read over and over is - get your car tuned right, add an upgrade, tune,then add the next one, etc. I started doing a few things....one thing led to another, and another, and another. I'll be lucky to remember everything I added this winter, let alone where everything bolts back on!

Started with a fuel pump. Fuel tank is out, see the muffler is blown - will be easier to replace with tank out. Ordered and installed a Pypes system. While I am under there I remember an article about boxing the control arms, whola! Box the arms, powdercoat, install new bushings.

Up front I decide to replace the injectors and chip. Found some clean 50lb injectors and a TT chip. Taking things off, remember an article about porting the plenum - what the heck. Also see a "deal" on a Dutt neck IC, let's put that in. Another deal comes up on a LS1 MAF & translator! While everything is off, I notice the end play in the turbo seems to be a little much. Bison confirms it is way too much - now he is building me a billet 60-1. Can't very well put a turbo like that on with a stock DP! Found another deal on a 3"DP. If I am going to put on a DP, just as well put in a WB, so I ordered a PLX WB setup. My darling wife gave me a Powerlogger for CHRISTmas, installed that over the weekend. Also have a knock alarm and FP sensor to install. Oh, also bought some 8.5" wheels, and MT/295/55/15 DR's.

Alky is next, probably SD or Extender chip also.

I see the "local" track (60 miles away) will have test/tune/grudge openings the end of March. Really hoping I will be ready by then, but think its doubtful. It would help if I could stay in town for a week or two. Also would be great if there were some other experienced TR folks around to help at tune time, but doesn't look like an option in KS.

Thanks to all that share their experience and wisdom - curses to those who post parts "deals" - cant go a day without checking to make sure I haven't missed something.
Ahh, you have the dreaded "Midas disease". While this is off I midas well do this......

If your going with an SD chip...you won't need the MAF and translater you just bought.
"Were" you married??? Won't be for long...haha
Addicting little bastards...aren't they???

coach said:
If your going with an SD chip...you won't need the MAF and translater you just bought.
"Were" you married??? Won't be for long...haha
Addicting little bastards...aren't they???

Ironically, my wife bought the car for me for my birthday two years ago. She recently made the comment "I didn't know that car was in such bad shape when I bought it". :)

Finally got the car back together last night and took a short drive! A few minor issues to clean up (my brilliant idea to use vacuum caps to block throttle body coolant lines didnt work so well and I just realized why my WB is reading a flat 10.0 on PL - forgot to plug in the power.) Need to go back over all the vac lines. Then need some serious tuning - didn't run that great. Have new Alky kit waiting to install!

Yep!
You're screwed, just like the rest of us.:D
Just think of this place as a Boost-a-holics support group meeting.

Hi! My name is Spoolfool, and I'm a boostaholic.

You're just starting out with our 12 step program.

#1 Admit that you need a Scanmaster. Buy Scanmaster.
#2 Spring cleaning.
#3 Fuel pump
#4 Injectors.
#5 Chip.
#6 Cold air intake.
#7 Down pipe.
#8 Boxed lower control arms.
#9 Bigger intercooler.
#10 Bigger turbo.
#11 Alky injection.
#12 Sticky tires.

Once you've gotten to this point, you'll need to start giving back, and help those up and coming. You'll also want to be participating in group activities and clubs outside of this board.

*Turbo Buick Gold Account membership.
* The twelve second club.
*The eleven second club.
*The ten second club.
*The I got thrown out of the track for going too fast club.
*And let us not forget the very popular, I blew out my head gaskets club.

It sounds like you're off to a great start. We (the vendors) are very proud of you and are here to help.;)

So! How are your bumper fillers?:D

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Yep!

#2 Spring cleaning.
#3 Fuel pump
#4 Injectors.
#5 Chip.
#6 Cold air intake.
#7 Down pipe.
#9 Bigger intercooler.
#10 Bigger turbo.
#11 Alky injection.
#12 Sticky tires.

Once you've gotten to this point, you'll need to start giving back, and help those up and coming. You'll also want to be participating in group activities and clubs outside of this board.

*The eleven second club.
*The ten second club.

It sounds like you're off to a great start. We (the vendors) are very proud of you and are here to help.;)

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

As a long time member of the original 12-step program - this should be a breeze! They tell me I have an "addictive personality" o_O Hi, I am an addict and Mapmaker is my problem.

All 12 steps - check! First thing I want to do is get OUT of the "Track Virgin Club". Unfortunately I will probably be joining the "Posting My PL File for Help Club" sooner than later, but stubborn enough to hack away alone at that one for awhile.

As much as I love to spend money on the car, the bumper fillers are in good shape!

Welcome to the money pit club!
One thing I didn't notice among all the upgrades was Brakes... have you made sure they're good to go? No use in going really fast if you can't stop. Just a heads up.

Welcome to the money pit club!
One thing I didn't notice among all the upgrades was Brakes... have you made sure they're good to go? No use in going really fast if you can't stop. Just a heads up.
Good point - supposedly the PO put S-10 cylinders on, I haven't checked.

Well well...spent an hour or so analyzing PL files and reading, reading. Trying to figure out rich / high BLM's. After a lot of poking, digging, searching, cant believe all this time I never checked one of the most basic issues with our cars. Will start pulling the driver side header this afternoon.

Well well...spent an hour or so analyzing PL files and reading, reading. Trying to figure out rich / high BLM's. After a lot of poking, digging, searching, cant believe all this time I never checked one of the most basic issues with our cars. Will start pulling the driver side header this afternoon.
Wow, a cracked drivers header. That would have been the last thing I would have thought of. Those things NEVER crack. You must have gotten one of the 3 or 4 that were bad!:rolleyes:

Yep!

#2 Spring cleaning.
#3 Fuel pump
#4 Injectors.
#5 Chip.
#6 Cold air intake.
#7 Down pipe.
#9 Bigger intercooler.
#10 Bigger turbo.
#11 Alky injection.
#12 Sticky tires.

*The eleven second club.
*The ten second club.

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

i am literally crying im laughing so hard lmaooooo