windshield leak

motroman

Discovered a leak along the top of the windwhield, right by the rear view mirror. I'm thinking I can just pull the top moulding away from the body and leave the windshield in place. Then, I can epoxy the entire width of the top windshield and replace the mouldings.

What do you guys think?

I'm not expert at this, but I think that if you do that you may end up with some rot around your windshield in that area. Seems like a certain amount of water is still going to get at least halfway in and sit there.

Just my thoughts

I had a similar problem. Over the course of a year I tried to just reseal it using a variety of off-the-shelf sealers. Nothing worked. If the car sat in the rain, it would eventually start leaking again. Decided to have the windshield cut out and resealed professionally. Of course, they broke the windshield removing it. But at least that gave me the opportunity to clean up the windshield seat real good before the new windshield got put in. (The came to my house to do the windshield work.)

Sorry. Wish I had better news. Good luck.

Pull it!!

I had my winshield replaced about a month ago. When they pulled it they found a dime sized rust spot in the upper passenger side corner on the lip that the windshield rests on. You better pull it so you can inspect the entire area carefully for rust. More than likely that water has caused some rust somewhere else along the outer windshield frame. Once pulled, apply some por-15 marine coating on that lip the windshield rests on after the rust problem is repaired and reseal the windshield really good. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Don't be sorry. If that's the way to fix it correctly then that's what I'll do. If I do a half/ass job the problem is not solved only temporarily fixed.

Thanks again.