Windshield Antenna/Dakota Digital hidden Antenna

GNICETRY

Cat&wife post starter
Who here has the windshield antenna from a 1984 and older Regal? How do you like yours? From what I understand they are as good or better than the mast type.

Also STAY FAR AWAY from the Dakota Digital hidden antenna (I would imagine all hidden antennas are similiar). It SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't say for a Regal...but when I was a kid my Dad had a 1970 Buick GS Stage 1 and it had a windshield antenna. He was not very happy with it. I remember him complaining that his reception seemed to depend on the compass direction he was driving. FWIW.

I had a 1977 Camaro with the windshield-embedded antenna. It wasn't very good at bringing in even nearby stations.

On the other hand, my wife's 2000 Honda Accord has its antenna in the back glass. It worked pretty good up until about a year ago. We've had the car for about 11 years so that's not bad. I haven't figured out if the antenna is the problem or the radio.

My 1978 Malibu has the windshield-embedded antenna. The lady who owned the car before me had an aftermarket mast type antenna installed. I can guess that it probably did not work well.

Paul Lohr

I've always used the hidden antenna from Metra... have mine on for about 5 years now with no issues....cost about 25 bucks.

I would categorize the windshield antenna in my Chevelle as good not great. I prefer windshield antennas over the antenna whipping in the wind...

I've always used the hidden antenna from Metra... have mine on for about 5 years now with no issues....cost about 25 bucks.

From what I am gathering it seems like most of the hidden antennas are the same. They are hit or miss, with the vast majority being miss. How do you have yours hooked up? I have mine going to the rear package tray. I moved it around to the front and it still sucks.

I PM'ed some people with Regal windshield antennas and pretty much all of them said the reception was great. Now I'm really confused:confused:

Everyone's experience is "back in the day". Modern radio stations are much more powerful and radios are much more sensitive. I put a windshield with a built in antenna in mine and it works great. That being said its a brand new windshield with an aftermarket radio in Las Vegas.

If you used junkyard parts with a stock radio in a more rural area it might not work well for you, who knows

I use an in car boosted antenna from a company I can't remember at the moment. It actually doesn't work very well but my stock antenna doesn't seem to work at all anymore.

I'm using a hidden antenna mounted under the dash. It uses the power antenna wire to power the amplifier. Mine works ok but not great. I have an ipod hookup so it's not that big of concern. My car was a fixed antenna car but the previous owner installed a hideous power antenna that extended about 5ft. Kirban doesn't offer fixed shorty antennas anymore so your only options other than power seem to be stock fixed antenna, windshield antenna, or hidden.

I had a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero with the antenna mounted in the front windshield. It was alright. It didn't suck, but wasn't great either. It tended to loose reception more frequently than my mast antenna on my Limited. I live down in Fairfield County on the CT coast. It also would lose reception of Hartford radio staions much quicker than my mast antenna. It seems to be a situation of sacrificing function for appearence. Depends on which you value more.