Window tint removal

fastjack1

The tinted window film that was applied to my GN is all scratched & looks terrible. Doe's anyone out there Know how to remove it.

A razor blade and a spray bottle full of soapy water usually works then use goo gone to get whatever residue is left...

Razor knife the kind that holds quality shaving blades or the kind that scrapes off window stickers the pros use.

After that acetone will easily take the glue off, ammonia will too with a bit more work.

Acetone dries fast so I use ammonia to get most of the glue off and it's cheap for a gallon like $3.

Acetone is a great fast drying solvent but a bit more expensive. :p

Both are bad for you if inhaled a lot so pick your poison(s).

Use a clean rag and keep moving to a clean spot as that glue is nasty and goes back on and streaks the window if you use the same spot.

Just did 1 1/2 windows this week that had tint that had been on there 21 years. :eek:

Blow gun. Just get one of the corners and it will blow off the glass.Then clean glue off. pull door panel because if glue gets in window sweep it wont come out. good luck

One of the best and easiest methods is to use spray on air craft paint remover. You spray it on a rag and wipe the windows. Wait a few minutes and the tint will peal off. Then you can use a solvent to remove the glue.

The tint guy here in town uses a steam gun, runs it over the tint for a few seconds and it just peals right off taking 95 percent or better of the glue with it as well. Hardly any clean up on the glass at all.

The steam trick works well. I had the same guy remove tint that was just too dark on two different vehicles. He used steam and a soapy water with a razor blade to get any remaining residue off. worked like a charm, with no effect on the rear window defroster grid or operation.
Pretty much any reputable shop that installs can remove, prices vary...

Ammonia, Straight up. Spray it down, leave the car in the sun with a black black garbage bags over the ammonia to hold in the heat.

I have seen razor blades destroy the defroster grid. I have used a Plastic bristle bursh with dish soap.