Will using synthetic oil cause any prolbems?

turbo1962

Be using 10w30 Valvoline synthetic racing oil,seems to be blue smoking a little??? Engine is a fresh rebuild.

Not sure why the engine is smoking,Could the synthetic oil be draining down the valve stem? Everything is new,turbo's new also.

Mine has smoked because of poor valve stem seals. I'm assuming that everything being fresh the valve stem seals are as well?

The machine shop thought they were OK. So the synthetic oil should cause the smoking?

They thought the seals were ok? They replaced them if they rebuilt the engine. What kind of rings were used? what kind of break in did you perform? Any boost runs yet? Some aftermarket companies dont recommend synthetic oils. Probably because it cost to much to test parts with it. How many miles are on rebuild?

The seals are cheap cheap cheap. No brainer to change while the springs are off... Mine smoked terribly at idle. not so noticable driving.

They said guides were ok, new seals were installed at the time of rebuild. Engine was run around 200 miles on regular oil with zinc.
then changed to synthetic.rings are chrome molly.Running 20# of boost. Now have about 3000 miles, smokes mostly at idle.

I've talked to a few people around here that have come to the same conclusion. They also had the smoke at start up, and of course suspected their valve stem seals. Turned out after a couple new sets of seals it wasn't them at all. They all had one thing in common.... They all had broken in their motors on synthetic oil. And further.... they all had the same cure. Took the synth out, and went through their break in routine on dyno oil and cured their smoking issues. They were speculating of course but feel maybe the synth oil wasn't allowing proper ring seating.
I don't know, but one thing's for sure, they all cured their oil smoke issue.

i run the 15-50 mobil1 syn,motor doesnt leak or smoke.engine was built by rpe.i do think you should run what works for you though for whatever reason.