Will this pass emissions?

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
I know this is a TB board but many of us have other turbo cars. (me included) :biggrin:

Anyway, I was just curious about the Subaru WRX. I have one and it's a mean little SOB. However, it comes from the factory with 3 cats (yes 3!)
1 in the uppipe and two in the dp.

The WRX also has a performance model called the STi which does not use the cat in the uppipe but still retains the cats in the DP.

My question is if you have seen/heard or know if the regular WRX can simply pass with the two cats in the dp? I don't see why not, but I figured I'd see if I could get expert input.

TIA

I depends on the location of the cat monitors (O2 sensors behind the cats) and if it will affect OBD2. Some states rely exclusively on OBD2 test and if it affects monitors and/or sets ecm codes then it will fail

There's 2 (O2 sensors) on the car one on the 1st cat and 1 on the dp I suppose btw/ the cats. When I remove the first cat there is no CEL. Removal of the other cats throws a cel.

Other than that it's all I know.

Do you know of any one of these type cars passing w/o 1 of 3 cats?

In Illinois if the car is 96 or newer, they just scan the computer for the emissions test. If there are no codes or pending trouble codes then the car passes.

Mikw

Unfortunately, here in the peoples Republick of Kalifornia, if you car has anything that is shiney or looks like it doesn't belong, they start to ask questions.

When I got the Buick smogged the guy was very upset about the wastegate solenoid missing the foam (neither of us knew it was supposed to be there) and he proceeded to charge me $25 to "t" into another of my vacuum lines to "plug" that open fitting.

If I would not have paid to have that done, I would not have been passed even though my numbers were quite clean, considering the age of the car and the original cat :biggrin:

All CEL issues have been addressed on the WRX. Just curious if it would pass with 2 instead of 3 cats, that's all...