will not shift at wot

slowGN

Hey All
My trans will not upshift while at wot. If I let off the gas a little it will. It fells like its bouncing off the rev limiter, but going by my scanmaster rpms are only about 4700.
i tried adjusting the tv cable but that did not seem to help.
Any ideas?
thanks
Chris
87 GN

It always helps to provide more information.

Are your valve springs original? How many miles does the car/engine have?

Are you sure that the transmission is an original BRF-calbrated unit with the right valve body and governor? What is the service history of the transmission?

Did this problem just pop up out of nowhere or has it been this way for a period of time?

hello
The car has 68,000 miles on it. The fluid and filter have been changed 3 times and I out new valve springs in it at 63,000 miles.
It just started doing it out of the blue, and its the original trans.
Thanks for the help
Chris

Chris-
I am not a trans expert but mine was doing that exact thing last year at the track. Over the winter i rebuilt the motor and while i had the trans out i talked to Bruce T. He suggested i install a new pressure regulator setup and better boost valves. While i was installing the suggested parts i found the stock press reg valve stackup to be sticking in the bore. Well i installed new PR setup, a billet servo, all new seals and bushings and last week at the track, wallah, it shifted perfect at 5200 and right into 3 gear on cue. Good luck.
Mitch

do a search under my name in the tranny section, my tranny was doing the same thing before i got it rebuilt a couple of weeks ago...i had alot of good advice in there, so that might be helpful to you...

Re: It always helps to provide more information.

Originally posted by MeanBuicks
Are your valve springs original? How many miles does the car/engine have?

Are you sure that the transmission is an original BRF-calbrated unit with the right valve body and governor? What is the service history of the transmission?

Did this problem just pop up out of nowhere or has it been this way for a period of time?

What do Valve Springs have to do with the tranny? Just curious? Thx:)

The original TR valve springs go away rather quickly. The result is valve float at something less than the 5000-5200 rpm WOT shift points of these transmissions.

This condition can easily be misconstrued as a transmission problem as it seems to not want to shift at WOT while the valves are floating.