wierdest thing youve seen at the track

What was the story of a dragster flipping at end of track, then heading back to the start at full throttle and smashing into tow van while driver was knocked out. I think two people died, so not that funny I guess.

I watched a big ol' brown Kenworth truck that looked like it was a long hauler put the smack down on an 80's Vette at a Brizzio's Muscle Car shootout in Bakersfield back in the early 80's.

Crowd was laughing when they lined up.
Vette in one lane, big brown truck in the other.
We were all expecting the the truck to get let go first and the Vette would maybe get let go when the truck hit the 1/8th and then have to real him in without breaking out.

Green light.

The Vette goes first :eek: and within a couple tenths, the truck get's his green.

The was out ahead by a few lengths off the line.
The truck bounced all over grabbing for traction, black smoke pouring out of the pipes. That thing sounded angry:mad:

At the 1/8th, you could see the truck was realing the Vette in and starting to fender him.

The crowd was going nnnnnnutz.:biggrin:

The truck went around him and took him by about a length before it was over.

It put down a 13.0 something, I forget the mph.
Within the next couple rounds he lost, but was in the high 12.90's a couple times before getting eliminated.

I watched a big ol' brown Kenworth truck that looked like it was a long hauler put the smack down on an 80's Vette at a Brizzio's Muscle Car shootout in Bakersfield back in the early 80's.

Crowd was laughing when they lined up.
Vette in one lane, big brown truck in the other.
We were all expecting the the truck to get let go first and the Vette would maybe get let go when the truck hit the 1/8th and then have to real him in without breaking out.

Green light.

The Vette goes first :eek: and within a couple tenths, the truck get's his green.

The was out ahead by a few lengths off the line.
The truck bounced all over grabbing for traction, black smoke pouring out of the pipes. That thing sounded angry:mad:

At the 1/8th, you could see the truck was realing the Vette in and starting to fender him.

The crowd was going nnnnnnutz.:biggrin:

The truck went around him and took him by about a length before it was over.

It put down a 13.0 something, I forget the mph.
Within the next couple rounds he lost, but was in the high 12.90's a couple times before getting eliminated.
How about this one lmao.....YouTube - 10 Second K-Car

I was at LACR(when it was open) and if I remember correctly there was a crazy lady named "crazy connie" coincidentally, and im not sure if I remember this right but it was either her or her husband and they drove a 10.0 wagon and one of them was wearing a santa suit, it was funny to say the least.:D

This isn't drag racing, but....
Oh Ssssssnap!!!
Gnarly!
http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9200&forum=55&post_id=96697

Know what else is messy.....?

A Filipino Fruit Bat flying into the path of an F/A-18 on approach to Subic Bay and getting sucked into the Intake and ECS ducts....

Filipino Fruit Bats are big....they have 2+ foot wing spans.

When they get into the ECS ducts, all the intestines and guts get spread all over the place and cooked onto hot surfaces.

Takes a crew of 2 guys, 3+ days, a strong stomach and robust gag reflex, and a whole bunch of panel removal and careful scrubbing to clean one out of an F/A-18.

Guess how I know....:rolleyes:

This isn't drag racing, but....
Oh Ssssssnap!!!
Gnarly!
Hitting a coyote at 190 {graphic} [Forums - Road Racing and Autocrossing] - Corvette-Guru.com

Know what else is messy.....?

A Filipino Fruit Bat flying into the path of an F/A-18 on approach to Subic Bay and getting sucked into the Intake and ECS ducts....

Filipino Fruit Bats are big....they have 2+ foot wing spans.

When they get into the ECS ducts, all the intestines and guts get spread all over the place and cooked onto hot surfaces.

Takes a crew of 2 guys, 3+ days, a strong stomach and robust gag reflex, and a whole bunch of panel removal and careful scrubbing to clean one out of an F/A-18.

Guess how I know....:rolleyes:

Yikes. It didn't fod out the engine?

I did see a seagull get chopped in half on the flightline a few months ago. No mess though. I work on Hueys and Cobras

LACR back in my rice days, my buddy's fully built integra with turbo, one of those guys with more money then brains. the car was finished the night before, tows it there, skinnies on back fat slicks on front. He does big burn out, light goes green drops hammer at about 1/8 slicks rip front bumper off and he runs over it. ends up running 21 or 22 and got sent packing...

car never ran right and ended up getting parted out a year later

Yikes. It didn't fod out the engine?

I did see a seagull get chopped in half on the flightline a few months ago. No mess though. I work on Hueys and Cobras

Yep the engine was FODed out, and also had to be replaced, but the 18 has two engines and can fly on one. It also has one of the steepest glide slopes of all the fighter Aircraft, so the pilot was able to land safely.

I worked on the radar, weapons control, com/nav, and ECS systems.

Pamona many years back...a mid-80's Suzuki Samurai pulled to the line...the officials called it back as it had the convertible top down...a discussion ensued between the officials with the crowd chanting, "Let it run!". They decided to let it go, and the thing ran a high 13-something, if memory serves.

About nine years ago, I had just gotten my GN. I took it to Carlsbad one day to get some base line runs. While sitting in the stands, I remember laughing my @$$ off when I saw what I thought would be the total mismatch of the day. Here was this poor little bone stock looking, and sounding yellow Toyota mini truck. It got matched up against a real mean sounding slingshot dragster. Yea, it was a mismatch all right:D . Little did I know that the power of The Dark Side lurked under the stock hood of that little pickup. He walked away from that rail all the way down the 1320'. :eek:

Hey Scott, (AKA Chevota) You got that thing running yet?;)

Mike B.

About nine years ago, I had just gotten my GN. I took it to Carlsbad one day to get some base line runs. While sitting in the stands, I remember laughing my @$$ off when I saw what I thought would be the total mismatch of the day. Here was this poor little bone stock looking, and sounding yellow Toyota mini truck. It got matched up against a real mean sounding slingshot dragster. Yea, it was a mismatch all right:D . Little did I know that the power of The Dark Side lurked under the stock hood of that little pickup. He walked away from that rail all the way down the 1320'. :eek:

Hey Scott, (AKA Chevota) You got that thing running yet?;)

Mike B.

It'll be awhile. Times are tough..... Might just stick a stock motor back in it for the meantime. I've got lots of stock and "go fast" V6 parts for sale if anyone is interested.:redface:

BTW- Thanks for the good memory Mike!

sometime around 2002 , i did a long smokey burnout for about 30 seconds at the burnout box & had the crowd enjoying it but the guys at the starting line were pi$$ed :mad: because they could hardly see. smoke was everywhere, it looked like a JOHN FORCE burnout :eek: . i did a 12.6 pass and came back down the return road and my burnout smoke was still there :D

At Pinks all Out in Bakersfield

It never made a full pass.....maybe it needed more PVC pipe.:eek:

Attachments

• Pinks Bakersfield09 (5)1.jpg
    Pinks Bakersfield09 (5)1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Pinks Bakersfield09 (6)1.jpg
    Pinks Bakersfield09 (6)1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 204
  • Pinks Bakersfield09 (7)1.jpg
    Pinks Bakersfield09 (7)1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 208
Initially, it failed tech for various things....one being that the safety shut off was in the bed and not on the outside....so they had to fix that stuff before it was allowed to run.

But it just broke anyway and had to be towed off the track.

ttt

Crayziest day ever at the track. "The Last Drag Race"...
OCIRTheLastDragRaceposter004.jpg

After many years, our home track was getting closed down to make way for the new Hwy 133 to Laguna Beach. We were pissed. As me and my friend were driving my old 65 Plymouth Barracuda to the event, We decided that we were going to steal the OCIR entry sign when we left the race. As we got closer to the parking lot we had to go threw the tunnel that a road went over. As we entered this fifteen foot wide tunel doing about 45 mph, a 73ish V8 Vega doing about a buck twenty shot the tunnel going the other way. This was officaily the first time in my life where I thought I was going to die. Soon after this, we slowed to pay our money at the gate. The guy collecting the dough leaned his head in the window, saw my friends bong in the back seat, and said that "If we wanted to enter, we needed to give him some weed". My friend gave him a bud. The dude said, "I need a bit more than that". My friend then gave him about half again as much. The gate dude smiled, handed me the poster shown above and we were allowed to enter.

We were now in. After another few hundred yards, we turned into the old gravel parking lot behind the right side bleachers. The smell of nitro, burning ruber, pot smoke and anarchy filled the air. Everyone was getting plastered in the parking lot. I didn't have time for that sort of thing. I wanted to find Tom (The Mongoose) Mc Ewen to sign my poster. This was his home track too, and I was stoked that they put his Coors Corvette on the poster. Back then, the drivers didnt have ropes around there pits. I walked up to "The Goose" and said, "Hey, Tom. Will you sign my poster?" He said that he was getting ready to make a run and to try back later. I headed off to the old wooded bleachers on the tower (left) side to watch some great racing for the last time. As it came time for nitro. Or, "Double A" as they used to call it. I left the bleachers and walked down to the chain link fence, next to the track to be closer. People were lined up four deep here. It was all I could do to see the cars go by as they went between heads of long haired, drunk hippies. I hadn't been standing there long when a large hand grabed my sholder and pulled me to the side. It was a tall skinny guy with long straight hair. He was pulling people to the sides to get to the front of the pack. For some reason, people just let him go threw all the way to the fence. So, I just followed him to the front. As soon as the next nitro car went past, the guy that I had just followed, climbed the four foot tall chain link fence and ran across the track with no pants on. Just a T-shirt, shoes and a smile. I quickly filled in his spot against the fence to watch The Mongoose loose his round. After a few more cars went by, Nature Boy desided to run back to our side. By the time that I realized this, he was about fifty feet away and running full speed right at me. LET ME TELL YOU! This was a very disturbing site considering the size of his monster that he was nearly beating himself to death with. Kinda like if Bruce Lee were running at you while swinging nunchucks. About two seconds before he hurdled the the fence, I smartly slid off to the side. As his nuts just cleared the chain link fence, the area of fans that was once four deep, now had enough room to drive a big rig through. Everyone watched as he kept running all the way to the bathroom to fetch his pants. Seconds after he ran in, half a dozen security people ran in after him. A few minutes later, they brought him out with his hands tied behind his back. With pants on...

Went back to the pits. Even though The Mongoose got knocked out of the race, he was more than happy to lay my poster down on the hood of his Coors Corvette funny car and sign it. Racing continued late into the night. Way past the noise curfew time. Back at the parking lot, people were doing donuts in the gravel around the parked cars. As we exited the track with tools in hand to steal the OCIR sign. It was allready gone...

Oh well! That's racing.

OCIR001.jpg

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Hopefully he still hand is pants on while you were following him around...otherwise...it's time to talk about ya...
:eek: