wierdest thing youve seen at the track

buickbert

so i went to S.I.R last night to watch some test and tune and to stretch teh skylarks legs on the freeway. everything was typical until a car pulled into the staging lanes that i honestly never thought i would see. A SMART CAR:eek: :D

now ive seen the videos on youtube with the smart cars with the gsxr engines and whatnot in them but this one had to was from what i could tell just a stock dd. i saw it run between 20.27-20.39 with 66-68mph!

i think that thats decent for that lil thing, there were some civics/ eclipses' out there not running much faster:biggrin:

buickbert

so i went to S.I.R last night to watch some test and tune and to stretch teh skylarks legs on the freeway. everything was typical until a car pulled into the staging lanes that i honestly never thought i would see. A SMART CAR:eek: :D

now ive seen the videos on youtube with the smart cars with the gsxr engines and whatnot in them but this one had to was from what i could tell just a stock dd. i saw it run between 20.27-20.39 with 66-68mph!

i think that thats decent for that lil thing, there were some civics/ eclipses' out there not running much faster:biggrin:

buickbert
what did it run? 20's?:D

Get hit in one of those and you will be calling it the STUPID CAR.

im pretty sure that i read somewhere that they had a pretty good crash test rating, of course hitting a wall if different then merging on the freeway and hitting an 18 wheeler:redface:

buickbert

0.01 light huh? I'd like to see that 60ft times. I think they timed it with an hour glass.

I wanna start a new pass time...

Smart car tipping.

Run up on them when they don't expect it, knock 'em on their side and then point at them and laugh while saying things like "You look so stupid, Stupid!:biggrin:

It's a lot like cow tipping but they can't get back up and chase you and the horns won't hurt.:D

Saw a guy with a 75 Monte Carlo,frame only,with a drivers seat.Did a burnout.Staged.Dropped the hammer.Went right into all the start line electronics ending the day for eveyone.

Saw a guy with a 75 Monte Carlo,frame only,with a drivers seat.Did a burnout.Staged.Dropped the hammer.Went right into all the start line electronics ending the day for eveyone.

thats erie! hahahahaha! im funny!

come on people, all these views and nothing stange happen to you/ you witnessed at the track

buickbert

Bert, you don't have to lie. We know it was your gn running 20's. Its ok you have to start some where.

J/k so you going to bring your car to the wcn this year and race it? How's the tranny in your car?

Bert, you don't have to lie. We know it was your gn running 20's. Its ok you have to start some where.

J/k so you going to bring your car to the wcn this year and race it? How's the tranny in your car?

sheeeeeet! not mine!

i am having a problem with the car though. it doesnt seem to want to build boost past like 14-15 lbs. it spools up just fine then seems to hold right around there, kinda like its stuggling then it sounds like it backfires through the air filter:confused:

but when you drive normally its just fine, never throws any codes, or has any other problems.

the trans is treating me great, shifts nice and firm, havent had any problems with it, of course now that i say that itll probably blow a seal or something on the way home from work.

if i can figure this problem out yeah imma bring it up there, i think imma tow it up there with my skylark:biggrin:

buickbert

Hah. Reminds me of the dumbest thing I ever saw at a dragstrip. About 2 years ago I was at qualcomm and this guy with an essentially bone stock LS1 convertable Trans-Am rolls up to the line.
Light goes green and this guy has the throttle pinned to the floor. The car is burning the tires down. As he starts moving along the car starts to get a little sideways, what does he do? He stays in it, FULL THROTTLE.

This guy did not lift until the car was perpendicular to the retaining wall. At that point he finally let off but the car kept going and swung completely around and smacked the wall with its left rear quarter panel.

If it were possible to have something less than NO driving skills, I think this guy was the man that had them.

I later heard from a friend in the LS1 community that this guy ended up with some serious mods in his trans am.
Not the car and driver combination I want next to me at the strip.

I was standing along the fence at the starting line at Super Chevy at Pomona a few year back and this 8 second pro-street 69 Camaro lines up. The guy launched and lost traction fishtailed back and forth and somehow ended up stopped at about a 45 degree angle across the track and teetering up on the passnger side tires for a few seconds as the car decided it if should roll over or get back on all 4's.

It stayed like that for what seemed like forever and then finally came down on all 4's.

It was stalled out and wouldn't refire.
The driver (Ted Nugent looking dude) gets out, pulls off his helmet and holds his hands up in the air as the crowd went wild with applaus.:biggrin:

The one that comes to mind was at Fontana; we had a gathering of GN's parked near the finish line and a Nova comes down the track and just as he gets near us the back end of the car lifts up in the air (like he hit a major bump). It turns out that the complete rear end (tires included) flew out of the car. The car did some donuts and crossed the finish line ahead of the rear end.
Jeff

Several years ago there was a group of Hispanic guys that were gaga over taking Tercels and making them rwd with Mazda rotaries. The track officials made them run alone since they were totally unpredicable. Like lighting a bottle rocket with no tail unpredictable. They rev the piss out of them and drop the clutch. Pull a wheelie and hopefully run all the way down the track. That reving was the most annoying thing imaginable. This one guy gets up, does his little burnout and then gets staged. He revs the thing to like 13k rpm and it's shaking like a cold dog. Suddenly the plexiglass side window shattered and they shut him down. Oh well, he missed a great chance to get a wheelie and stall like they usually did. Haven't seen any of them in a few years now....

Here's a classic that comes to mind.

For those of you that aren't old enough to remember OCIR. It was a Thursday night, grudge night/ test and tune at "The County", as we called it. Now, first of all. Let me tell you that most of the "Ace drivers" that showed up for this weekly, Teenage jalopy flogging, were high school kids that were torn between spending their hard earned minimum wage pay check on car parts or a bag of pot. On this one hot summer Thursday night at the track, some young buck, driving a 4 door, 18 second POS, did a one wheel, John Force burnout. Followed by six or eight dry-hops. Well, the last dry-hop put the young highway star all the way through the beams. The starter guy looked about as impressed with his performance as a fat chick watching a rice eating contest. Our hero then smartly backed his car into the staging beams. When the starter wouldn't reset the lights for this guy, he started yelling out his window as he was pointing at the tree. By now, the guy that had been staged in the other lane started yelling "Let's GO". From what I could tell, the starter told our hero to just go when the other guys light comes down. Then proceeded to hit the button for the one lane to start the ambers comming down. About this time we figured that the Dork Show was over. Only problem was that Johny Lightning still had his sled in REVERSE from when he backed up. Let me tell ya. It's a funny sight seeing the light go green, and two cars launching in opposite directions. One going forwards, and one going backwards. Thank goodness this kid was a quick thinker;) and immediately recognized what had happened, and threw the trans in DRIVE. Keep in mind that this was while the car was still spinning the tires in reverse. The huge clunk of the trans, rear end, U-joints, and motor mounts ready to snap could be heard through the whole place. He then rocketed:rolleyes: down the track and strait out the exit gate.

Ahhhh, those were the days...

Mike Barnard

For those of you that aren't old enough to remember OCIR. It was a Thursday night, grudge night/ test and tune at "The County", as we called it. Now, first of all. Let me tell you that most of the "Ace drivers" that showed up for this weekly, Teenage jalopy flogging, were high school kids that were torn between spending their hard earned minimum wage pay check on car parts or a bag of pot. On this one hot summer Thursday night at the track, some young buck, driving a 4 door, 18 second POS, did a one wheel, John Force burnout. Followed by six or eight dry-hops. Well, the last dry-hop put the young highway star all the way through the beams. The starter guy looked about as impressed with his performance as a fat chick watching a rice eating contest. Our hero then smartly backed his car into the staging beams. When the starter wouldn't reset the lights for this guy, he started yelling out his window as he was pointing at the tree. By now, the guy that had been staged in the other lane started yelling "Let's GO". From what I could tell, the starter told our hero to just go when the other guys light comes down. Then proceeded to hit the button for the one lane to start the ambers comming down. About this time we figured that the Dork Show was over. Only problem was that Johny Lightning still had his sled in REVERSE from when he backed up. Let me tell ya. It's a funny sight seeing the light go green, and two cars launching in opposite directions. One going forwards, and one going backwards. Thank goodness this kid was a quick thinker;) and immediately recognized what had happened, and threw the trans in DRIVE. Keep in mind that this was while the car was still spinning the tires in reverse. The huge clunk of the trans, rear end, U-joints, and motor mounts ready to snap could be heard through the whole place. He then rocketed:rolleyes: down the track and strait out the exit gate.

Ahhhh, those were the days...

Mike Barnard

oh damn!!! LMFAO, not only are you the poster boy of roller lifters, you need to be a short story book writer Mike!!! thats some funny shiznit!!!!!!:D