Wideband Readings

slow305

One Cool Guy
I finally got my wideband O2 installed and working and it is showing me some odd numbers Since the Buick is now my daily driver, I am doing an experiment to try and get some decent mileage out of it. I have a Translator Gen II and during the low load setting, I have to literally pull out around 30% fuel to get the reading to bounce between 14.2 and 15.1. With just this adjustment it seems as though I am getting better mpg already (I got 16mpg last tank ***** footing it around). If I get into the boost a little, the readings go right back down to around 10 to 10.5. I have the fuel pressure set to 42# line off. My questions is, why is the car running so rich? What is the definition of low load, med load and high load? Lastly, how lean can I run on the highway before it becomes detrimental?

Where do you have the sensor mounted?
Did you do a free air cal on it?
15 to 1 on the hwy at light load is OK.

It's about 18" away from the turbo and I did the free air cal before I put it in last week.

Who's chip are you running?

Sounds like a ton of fuel to pull out for idle and cruise, I'd go over the setting in the Translator and fill us in on more of you fuel system etc.

15:1 is plenty lean for the highway, you can go leaner but the fuel saved vs burning up a valve or worse isn't worth it IMO.

You'll get tip in fatness, it's pretty common. It staying there is a different story so it looks like if you're seeing 10.5 in 3rd at WOT, you can lean it out a whole number and still be safe, fuel wise.

I have the original translator and lean cruise activated in the Extreme chip for my 55lb.ers.

16.5 to 16.8 is regular lean cruise at 65-75 with the cruise control activated.

Warmup is low 11's and goes progressively upward to stoich. for cruising and until lean cruise conditions are met.

What chip is in your car? :confused:

If you are still only running 7 lbs of boost..... like you said when you where up here getting your headliner set up?

Baseline the car,reset the chip and all fuel pressure,maf translator. Besure the plugs are good/wires also. 42's are notoriously rich and bad for MPG, TT makes the best chip for these injectors.

I have the Extreme chip also.

Warmup is low 11's and goes progressively upward to stoich. for cruising and until lean cruise conditions are met.

This sounds right. I notice it's very low until the car gets up to temp.

I'll check out the settings on the translator and report back, but I don't think I messed with anything except the fuel. I was just thinking it was a little strange I had to pull so much fuel to get the mixture right.

I have the Extreme chip also.

This sounds right. I notice it's very low until the car gets up to temp.

I'll check out the settings on the translator and report back, but I don't think I messed with anything except the fuel. I was just thinking it was a little strange I had to pull so much fuel to get the mixture right.

Yes, give us ALL your Translator settings, and any adjustments you've made in the Extender.

Low Loads
@400 -10%
@800 -32%
@1200 -21.5%
@1600 -31.5%
@2200 -31%
@2800 -9.5%
@3400 -9.5%
@4000 -9.5%
all higher +- 0%

Mid and High Loads +-0%

MAF input LS1 aluminum
MAF output GN Ext/Pro (these two are as per Bob)
6 cylinder 3.80 displacement
Load source: Use MAP/RPM

Idle Flow 10.0
Idle filt 1.50

MAF Tune/Flow all 0.0%

I don't know how to use the wideband tracking and it's not hooked up. Also no triggers. By the way, is there a comprehensive manual for this thing? I think full throttle expects you to know how to use it, but I only kinda do.

Steve- I bumped the boost up to around 14. The spring in the boost controller needed to be streched out. I actually had to change my battery a couple months ago and since then have not messed with the chip settings. Lean cruise was enabled then, but not anymore.

Low Loads
@400 -10%
@800 -32%
@1200 -21.5%
@1600 -31.5%
@2200 -31%
@2800 -9.5%
@3400 -9.5%
@4000 -9.5%
all higher +- 0%

Mid and High Loads +-0%

MAF input LS1 aluminum
MAF output GN Ext/Pro (these two are as per Bob)
6 cylinder 3.80 displacement
Load source: Use MAP/RPM

Idle Flow 10.0
Idle filt 1.50

MAF Tune/Flow all 0.0%

I don't know how to use the wideband tracking and it's not hooked up. Also no triggers. By the way, is there a comprehensive manual for this thing? I think full throttle expects you to know how to use it, but I only kinda do.

Steve- I bumped the boost up to around 14. The spring in the boost controller needed to be streched out. I actually had to change my battery a couple months ago and since then have not messed with the chip settings. Lean cruise was enabled then, but not anymore.

What MAP sensor do you have and is it hooked to the GenII?
The reason I ask is that you have your load source set to "use map/rpm" instead of "use maf".

And you really don't need any low load corrections much above the 2200 rpm point. I can't imagine any circumstances when you would see rpm that high under low load. Highway cruising is generally mid load.

As far as the manual, that's here: http://www.fullthrottletech.com/showthread.php?t=1849

I noticed that too. I have no MAP hooked up. I was going to switch it to TPS unless MAF would be better.

A light bulb shines overhead, Translator is looking for something that's not hooked up, but the Maf is so go that route and report back.