Why use a distributor?

The fastest Buicks on the planet all use a distributor!!! What more can be said??? Please correct me if Im wrong, but thats just how it is. Matter of fact the fastest cars on the planet all use distributor caps and wires.
Just my observation!!! Mike;)

The fastest Buicks on the planet all use a distributor!!! What more can be said??? Please correct me if Im wrong, but thats just how it is. Matter of fact the fastest cars on the planet all use distributor caps and wires.
Just my observation!!! Mike;)

Excuse me. Are you including the import crowd? Lets start talking about hp/cu. in. What did Honda eventually do with their F1 turbo car? They eliminated the O/H cam driven distributor caps and the secondary ignition wires. C.O.P.!

"Something else to think about in the scenario that the waste spark is igniting anything at the top of the exhaust stroke. Let's say the a/f mixture went through the ignition cycle without lighting off. Now the piston drops and uncompresses the mixture.

When this occurs, isn't some of the heat from the previous compression now drawn out from the decompression?

When an a/f mixture is decompressed, does some of the mixture condense into larger droplets from the previous vaporized state, due to the drop in pressure and temperature?

Isn't most of the charge expelled from the cylinder way before the 24 or so degrees before TDC of the exhaust stroke? In fact, most likely past the turbo by this point with a short runner exhaust system?"

Don,

What I think you maybe missing in regards to left over exhaust to ignite, is the overlap , especially with bigger duration cams. The new fresh charge being pumped into the chamber during this overlap, some of it goes out with the exhaust. Cant help it. Lobe separation angle also plays a part here. When this happens I can see why it may raise EGT's. There may be enough fresh A/F to burn.

I'm following your reasoning. But is this the sort of thing usually taken into consideration when tuning a big naturally aspirated V8 with monster cams on an engine dyno? I don't believe so. When watching a F1 engine on a dyno, do you see exhaust flame out the exhaust during a power pull? No. You do see it during coastdown overrun. So fuel can definitely be ignited by a hot exhaust system, but why do you only witness it on a dyno during overrun? Or during special turbo spooling techniques? If fuel was being burned in the exhaust or during the exhaust stroke, wouldn't exhaust valve durability become a problem? We've all heard of how an exhaust gasket leak can cause burned valves.

I wasn't missing the big overlap deal. It's just that most TR cams in use are designed with zero or negative overlap numbers.

Excuse me. Are you including the import crowd? Lets start talking about hp/cu. in. What did Honda eventually do with their F1 turbo car? They eliminated the O/H cam driven distributor caps and the secondary ignition wires. C.O.P.!

Donnie , I knew that would ruffle your feathers!! Wish you could have made it to BG I would love to have meet you and seen your car!!! When speaking of drag racing , Facts still are that distributors rule!!! Mike:D

"wouldn't exhaust valve durability become a problem? We've all heard of how an exhaust gasket leak can cause burned valves.

I wasn't missing the big overlap deal. It's just that most TR cams in use are designed with zero or negative overlap numbers."

I think exh valve durability is already a concern. Thats why I prefer Inconel on the exh side as does Manley in blown applications.

Most TR cams may have less overlap but not the faster ones that usually use a distributor. Maybe thats why they see the EGT difference.

"When watching a F1 engine on a dyno, do you see exhaust flame out the exhaust during a power pull? No. You do see it during coastdown overrun. So fuel can definitely be ignited by a hot exhaust system, but why do you only witness it on a dyno during overrun?"

I believe you only see during overrun because of the pressure wave/pulse causing fresh air to be introduced into the pipe thus igniting the unburned fuel.

"When watching a F1 engine on a dyno, do you see exhaust flame out the exhaust during a power pull? No. You do see it during coastdown overrun. So fuel can definitely be ignited by a hot exhaust system, but why do you only witness it on a dyno during overrun?"

I believe you only see during overrun because of the pressure wave/pulse causing fresh air to be introduced into the pipe thus igniting the unburned fuel.

We'll explore this one more. Got to run for now.

Donnie , I knew that would ruffle your feathers!! Wish you could have made it to BG I would love to have meet you and seen your car!!! When speaking of drag racing , Facts still are that distributors rule!!! Mike:D

lol. The only reason Top Fuel runs distributors is because of 'The Rules'. How many F1 engines do you see with distributors? Don't you think that if anyone would use the best ignition system, it would be F1? I wonder what they would say if someone went up to them and suggested they run a distributor.

"wouldn't exhaust valve durability become a problem? We've all heard of how an exhaust gasket leak can cause burned valves.

I wasn't missing the big overlap deal. It's just that most TR cams in use are designed with zero or negative overlap numbers."

I think exh valve durability is already a concern. Thats why I prefer Inconel on the exh side as does Manley in blown applications.

Most TR cams may have less overlap but not the faster ones that usually use a distributor. Maybe thats why they see the EGT difference.

I wonder if anyone is running more overlap than me. I use titanium exhaust valves. A no no with expected high exhaust temps. Exhaust temp is a low 1,050F, which actually suggests the any fuel and air getting past the exhaust valve is cooling the exhaust. I take my exhaust temp reading in the Y, just before the turbo.

lol. The only reason top fuel runs distributors is because of 'The Rules'. How many F1 engines do you see with distributors? Don't you think that if anyone would use the best ignition system, it would be F1? I wonder what they would say if someone went up to them and suggested they run a distributor.

I dont know ,but a F1 engine probably uses a $500,000.00 ignition system!!!
Cant afford that!!! MSD rules my little world!!! Mike:cool:

I wonder if anyone is running more overlap than me. I use titanium exhaust valves. A no no with expected high exhaust temps. Exhaust temp is a low 1,050F, which actually suggests the any fuel and air getting past the exhaust valve is cooling the exhaust. I take my exhaust temp reading in the Y, just before the turbo.

Your also running alcohol. Which usually has inherent lower EGT's.

I dont know ,but a F1 engine probably uses a $500,000.00 ignition system!!!
Cant afford that!!! MSD rules my little world!!! Mike:cool:

LOL. Why you cute little lemming.

Imagine. F1 teams could save tons of money by dropping their inferior big dollar systems and going with the much more advanced and better quality distributor system. Mike, why don't you approach an F1 team and shoot the idea past them. I'll go too. I would love to video tape the sales pitch.

Your also running alcohol. Which usually has inherent lower EGT's.

The point is, my exhaust temps are not out of line from other reported alcohol fuel exhaust temps. And I run a leaner mixture than is customary for blown alcohol engines. :eek:

You're forgeting a basic tuning truth here. A person who is tuning a gasoline engine for maximum performance and is monitoring exhaust temps, will do what in the face of rising exhaust temps? Regardless of the type of ignition system.

Would it be possible that the reason for less EGT after going to a distributor is actually because of less of the supplied fuel being burned during the normal combustion cycle? :eek:

Less of the fuel being burned would give lower EGTs and lower cylinder pressures. The lower cylinder pressures would put you further away from detonation limits, which would allow more ignition timing. The extra unburned fuel would actually act as a chemical coolant, which is what rich mixtures are actually for. The extra fuel providing extra combustion cooling and the increased ignition timing could provide more horsepower from less fuel actually being burned.

Distributors in use that Im aware of Turbo dragster , Freeman , Fiscus , quick 16 winner. I guess your talking about Liverman (yellow car) not sure on him??? What ET did he run??? Mike;)

Distributors in use that Im aware of Turbo dragster , Freeman , Fiscus , quick 16 winner. I guess your talking about Liverman (yellow car) not sure on him??? What ET did he run??? Mike;)

mike. liverman[yellow car] uses a coil pack. he had ignition problems that is the reason he didnt run as fast as he usually does, he said he may go to a distributor, he has a dls engine and big stuff-3 , i have had my distributor for four years, same cap and rotor. i paid taroboro 50.00 for it complete with good wires, in my case the reason for switching to a distributor i had a problem in wiring or what ever and when the engine saw 7000 rpm it would take out the coil pak. i could make two maybe three runs then it would start misfiring, good luck oc,

Who/what IS the fastest stock coil pack car? Ingersoll? Looking for a point of reference to shoot for....:confused: :cool:

Scott Wile