Why not a separate alky fuel system instead of just injection?

Jon E

Instead of injecting more and more alky and less and less gasoline like a lot of people are doing, why couldnt I just build a separate fuel system for alky that was activated under WOT? To completely shut off the gasoline to the injectors and supply them with 100% alcohol?

You would need a sepatate fuel cell, pump and lines for the aky and place a solenoid in the main fuel line just before the injectors to close the main gas line and open the alky lines, and have a TPS controlled switch turn on the alky pump and open the fuel line.

I know it would need a lot of refineing but wouldnt this be a more effective and easier to tune system then just injection?

With the price of methanol, why not convert it to run all the time? There was a post about the test cars that GM built in the late '80 that ran on E85 (?) (85% ethanol). It would be a whole lot easier to run it constantly on methanol than just under WOT. The system you are describing is quite similiar to one to run C16 under WOT, but yours would require a totally different fuel table since you need alot more meth than gasoline for proper A/F mixtures. Wouldn't really be worth the expense in my opinion. A better route would be to completely convert it to Propane injection. A company in MN does it and has fuel injectors for liquid propane. They converted all the Schwanns trucks. Besides propane is about 108 octane and costs $1.39 a gallon around here.

The injectors would lock up. They are not designed for alcohol. Thats why nobody uses a fuel injector even in just "alky injection" in the up-pipe.

They do make stainless injectors..but they are very pricey..I mean very pricey. And small..so they wont support any power.

Simple alcohol kit cant be beat... just try it and see.. You get regular gas anywhere and alcohol at specific places.

Whole fuel system has to be anodized/stainless/nickel and/or plastic.. Do a search under FFV flex fuel vehicles in google or yahoo. plenty of stuff out there..

Good luck with your project, i'm too lazy and like easy :)

Well what about C16 instead of alky?

Im just trying to get around the tuning issues with the alky injection, turn on point, pump presure, nozzle size and have more control over my fuel supply with my computer.

Originally posted by Jon E

Im just trying to get around the tuning issues with the alky injection, turn on point, pump presure, nozzle size and have more control over my fuel supply with my computer.

We then have a cost issue running the race gas and the O2 issue as well. Listen a better electronic controller lessens your burdens.

Not that a system cant be done with a hobbs,relay, and nozzles.. but dialing that stuff in is takes a lot more work than when you have the controls inside the vehicle.

If you ran straight C16..you would be done with it..if you can afford 6-7 dollars a gallon.. then no need for alky. Just drive my car too much to afford 100 for a fill up every couple days..

Originally posted by Jon E

There just ain't no tuning issues with DIY alky to speak of, unless you make something complicated out of something that is simple. You're not alone though.......lot's of guys like to make easy things difficult......and expensive, too. :p