why not 3.08?

mygn276

Ok has anyone tried going to a 3.08 gear with any good results? I know there are some guys who had great luck with 3.23.

i would think that a 3.23- or maybe a 3.08 would use the torque instead of turning alot of rpms.

Ok has anyone tried going to a 3.08 gear with any good results? I know there are some guys who had great luck with 3.23.

Your key word is "results". Are you looking for gas mileage, high speed runs or ???:confused:

My experience over the years has been with drag cars, and do not know of anyone having good results with less than a 3.42.

Some of the faster cars, like in the 9's usually go the other way as they need and use more RPM.

It is not luck that makes these cars perform, it is having the right combination of parts working together gives you max performance for the buck. When you decide on your goals and budget, then find someone that has been there, and get their advice.:)

Nick i understand what you are saying.I am using the 3.42 right now and the car runs good with it. The ring gear went south and i am in the market for a new one. Car runs 9s at 6800 thru the traps. Turbo cars do not like alot of gear and i know of some that have picked up going to a higher ratio. Thats why we have a message board so we can give feedback.:rolleyes:

We have 3.08s in Shane's TFS car. Not really a known fact, tho.

I always thought the reason people went for higher gears in the fastest cars was to compansate for the much larger diameter slicks.

When I first built Venom in 1995, I used a 'Vette IRS, Dana 44 rear with 3.08 posi. Blue tops, TA49, stock everything else. I ran 11.80 @ 118 right out of the box with the 3.08 gears. That was with a car that's about 700 lbs. lighter than a GN though. Same engine however...

Eventually I changed out the rear to 3.45 ratio, and picked up less than 1/2 second ET, 2 mph or so. The 3.08 seemed to work just fine but I had to delay the lockup until 50MPH to keep the engine from lugging excessively.

i do believe that the TTA use a 3.27 gear in the 7.62 rear end in those and the TTA seem to trap a tad faster than a GN. The weight is about the same between the two.

i would think that if you keep the rpm's in the highest torque area of the curve that the car woyld accelerate better than having the engine over rev to a area that the engine is not producing power. I think that is why some say they pick up in the 1/4 mile by shifting the car to overdrive. in BG a few yrs back i tested this on my car i ran my first run in 3rd and held it there and got a 12.32 @ 113 then i let he car cool down and went back and ran it again at the same boost level but i allowed the car to shift to OD and the car picked up to a 12.24 @ 115.

We will be running 3.25 gears (9"), 400 turbo, 3600 converter, and 28" DR's. It looks good on paper but you know how that goes. As least with the 9" changing gears is not too bad.

Jim

i do believe that the TTA use a 3.27 gear in the 7.62 rear end in those and the TTA seem to trap a tad faster than a GN. The weight is about the same between the two.

I'm willing to bet that the TTA also has a bit less wind resistance.

TTA also had great street manner's .. they are a HEAVY car !!! I have 308s in my "new" car . Will be running in a few months MAYBE :eek: :rolleyes: or watch for a for sale add :eek: