why is my coolant temp too high

turbo tom

I blew off my lower radiator hose last week and put it back on.I put a mixture 50/50 anti freeze and water which I had in it before. Now my temp is 190 to 200 degrees.I dont understand why im running so hot.I have a 160 thermostat and the fan seems to not run as often.Thanks for any help that you can give.

turbo tom

I blew off my lower radiator hose last week and put it back on.I put a mixture 50/50 anti freeze and water which I had in it before. Now my temp is 190 to 200 degrees.I dont understand why im running so hot.I have a 160 thermostat and the fan seems to not run as often.Thanks for any help that you can give.

turbo tom

If this started suddenly, and you blew the hose, you probably have a blown HG which is the likely cause of all this. :eek:

What made the lower hose blow off?

I believe the lower hose has a spring in it to keep the hose from collapsing, any chance the spring came out when the hose blew off and the hose is now collapsing and not allowing full coolant flow?

John :smile:

I just replaced the lower hose and probably did not tighten the hose clamp enough.What is the normal range of temp that this should be running on the x way going 70mph? I have no excessive smoke comming out the exhaust and oil looks fine.Thanks for any info.

turbo tom

I was also wondering what temp should the fan start running.And should it still run after turning off the engine? Thanks

turbo

I was also wondering what temp should the fan start running.And should it still run after turning off the engine? Thanks

turbo

I don't remember what the stock temp. settings are.

The fan does run after the engine is turned off, thats normal. Except when the relay fails and your fan continues to run all night and kills your battery,and when you go out to leave the next morning you're like :eek:

I quit using the factory wiring and relay's to control the fan more than 13 years ago after they almost cost me an engine.

turbo

Fan should come on around 170, the fan will still run with the engine off, if the coolant temps are at around 225 degrees.

Before I replaced the 195 degree thermostat in my car a few weeks ago, It would fluctuate between 198 & 207 while driving down the road at 60 mph. The fan would always be running while driving around town at lower speeds.

After I put in the 160 degree thermostat, My highway temps are a rock steady 167 degrees, and it usually goes to 185-195 around town at lower speeds. The electric fan in my car kicks on at 198 degrees, and will turn on if I am cruising around town on a hot day.

John

Before I replaced the 195 degree thermostat in my car a few weeks ago, It would fluctuate between 198 & 207 while driving down the road at 60 mph. The fan would always be running while driving around town at lower speeds.

After I put in the 160 degree thermostat, My highway temps are a rock steady 167 degrees, and it usually goes to 185-195 around town at lower speeds. The electric fan in my car kicks on at 198 degrees, and will turn on if I am cruising around town on a hot day.

John

X2 here, 160 thermostat but likes to run at 195. still too hot for me. and i have a new 3 core high fin count radiator. will be installing TT chip soon.

190-200 is fine, in fact our motors are more efficient at the temp, when I blew my HG I removed my 160 stat and put in a 180, it stays right at 190 now, before the coolant temps were around 165-190, now the car runs 5 deg. either side of 190 and that is with the air on and 100 deg. outside temps, went for a ride in traffic yesterday, 190 and a couple of deg. either side. I like the consistency rather that the huge fluctuation I had before, JMHO.

Ron

I see a lot of answers but nobody is asking the obvious question, which is, what type of chip are you running?, the chip will dictate when the fan runs unless you have the fan set up to run at all times, turbo tweak makes it chips so that the fan comes on at 170 and turns off at 160, you could have a chip that makes the fan come on at 190 or higher thus the high temps you are experiencing, start with the obvious pull the chip out and see who made it, then go online and contact the chip maker to see what parameters they put in it.. 190/200 is normal for these cars but depending on boost the higher the boost the lower the temps you want to see when you get on it, I like to see mine between 165/180 at all times.

good luck..

u can also have a restriction in ur radiator, water pump can also cause a problem.

Running Hot

Is the thermostat toast? If the thermostat is hung open it will constantly circulate the water and not allow it to sit in the rad long enough to cool the water.

I would check this first. Happened to me twice.

The higher operating temperatures were designed to lower emissions. We make the most power in the 160-180 range.