Why does my tach read too high?

VeesGN

I just got my engine back in the car and running again. The rpms seem to be double on the factory tach. I don't really use the stock tach, but I'm curious why it reads so high.

The stock tachs are junk...They either work or they don't, mostly the latter...

John Spina @ Casper's Electronics fixes them, btw...

My tach would go full to 6000 rpm when i turned the key on and stay there, I just disconnected it behind the dash.

My tach does the same thing.

John, what do you suggest for me. I have no soldering experience or tools?

We can overhaul the Boost/tach unit if you can't service it yourself (or find someone with soldering/desoldering experience).
We have overhauled many of these units and I have found that in some cases the bargraph display would have burned-out segments (like missing teeth) so we can also repair that condition. Actually most of the time, it's not the segment at fault, it's the driver IC with a bad output. Either way we can rebuild the unit and make it work the way it's supposed to work. It's a fairly common problem with the displays where the tach RPM is WAAAAY off from the actual engine RPM, and also if the boost lights come on when the car is idling, well, that's a problem too.
Regards,
John Spina
http://www.casperselectronics.com
Click on the calendar in the upper left hand corner of the home page. Ends Aug. 30!

Sorta the same problem?

Hello,

I sorta have the same problem too? but my boost gage works with no problems but the rpm tach stays lit on 0 with one amber light no other rpm lights will light up would that still be the chips that are out? Only happened after I had new engine put in it the same 3.8 liter just new any suggestions? Thanks jretrodude@aol.com :confused:

the stock stuff is so far off even when working it's only an approximation.

get a real tach and boost gauge on the car and treat the factory stuff as entertainment only.

the stock tach is usually off by 300+ so it's a "gross approximation"

not sure if caspers fix fixes this too. mine does this and I fixed it by just not looking at it, but it is annoying.

Fixed it today thanks to Caspers!!

Hello,

Jretrodude responding fixed my problem with the tach Caspers was really helpful in this as they said that their is a double wire with a green connector behind the alternator that might be plugged into a black connector with one gray wire which is the fuel pump relay switch or something sure enough that's what was wrong and my lights now light when supposed to with no problem other than a missing tooth or so. But now the bad news :( After adjusting my boost pressure to 15psi or more?? I blew a head gasket, clouds and clouds of white smoke? Any idea where I might be able to get a good new cheap set of head gaskets or anything else I might need for this problem?? Any info would be great thanks jretrodude.