Why does everyone hate the new GTO?

UGLY. Overpriced and mid pack performance. Thats why. If you ever owned a REAL GTO you would feel same way
:)
Its an insult to the GTO nameplate. Should have been called the new Grand Prix.

Since the retro look is so popular now........how cool would it have ben to put that motor in a body that resembles an old '67 GTO. Kinda what Ford did with the new Thunderbird, only it looks like an older GTO. This car is not worthy of the GTO badge....IMHO

Wow....this is a TOUGH crowd.

Personally, I think the GTO badge was over the top. Why not just call it a Monaro?!?!

How old are you guys. The original GTO was just a performance package on the Tempest when it first came out. It looked like all the other Pontiacs of the time....kinda like the new GTO huh? The original GTO was basically the engine....a wonderful 389 cu in, Tri-power beast.

BTW...this new GTO would smoke any of the old goats....quarter mile or in handling.

I've been a big fan of the Holdens for several years now. In Australia, you can buy rear wheel drive cars with gutsy V8's in them. Like the Monaro...or even a 4 door Commodore with a LS1 in it.

I'm glad GM is bringing us the Monaro/GTO. It's a step in the right direction, plus I don't think we've seen the last of it. HSV/Holden Special Vehicles has several "pumped up" versions of the Monaro/GTO.

I think the biggest problem with most people is that the called it a GTO, but GM has insulted many other "great names" in the past by reusing them on much weaker cars.

(these are just my opinions....)

Im 42 and lived thru the 60 musclecar era. Had a 69 Judge too

Originally posted by OKTurbo
Wow....this is a TOUGH crowd.

Personally, I think the GTO badge was over the top. Why not just call it a Monaro?!?!

How old are you guys. The original GTO was just a performance package on the Tempest when it first came out. It looked like all the other Pontiacs of the time....kinda like the new GTO huh? The original GTO was basically the engine....a wonderful 389 cu in, Tri-power beast.

BTW...this new GTO would smoke any of the old goats....quarter mile or in handling.

I've been a big fan of the Holdens for several years now. In Australia, you can buy rear wheel drive cars with gutsy V8's in them. Like the Monaro...or even a 4 door Commodore with a LS1 in it.

I'm glad GM is bringing us the Monaro/GTO. It's a step in the right direction, plus I don't think we've seen the last of it. HSV/Holden Special Vehicles has several "pumped up" versions of the Monaro/GTO.

I think the biggest problem with most people is that the called it a GTO, but GM has insulted many other "great names" in the past by reusing them on much weaker cars.

(these are just my opinions....)

When comparing the new GTO and the Cobra, GTO owners always say the ride is better than the Cobra. They both have IRS, the Cobra will at least be as good in the slalom and braking, so where is the better ride?? Take away the Cobra and you can still buy a loaded GT for $5 or $6k cheaper. I like the car at $30k, not at $34k.

What GTO owners?
There's a lot more to ride quality than IRS vs solid axle. Wheelbase comes to mind, but I don't have figures to know what the difference is. I do know that my SC has IRS, and my buddy's Impala SS has a solid axle. His still has the better quality ride.

I agree about spending $35k, wish it was just under $30k to lure some WRX buyers over, but I think that auto makers sometimes think that pricing a car high adds to the prestige-perception of buyers. Also, I'm sure its expensive importing it and all.

I couldn't have a Mustang, not enough room, so for the money I would strongly consider the GTO. I couldn't bring myself to spend more than $25k on a car though, so I guess it's a moot point.

Atleast you guys will be able to get one!

Here north of the border, we can't even get our cold little hands on one.

I work at a Pontiac d/ship and we could have sold a dozen already but GM didn't think to consider the emissions and safety features of Canada when bringing them over from Australia.

We would love a V-8 anything in the Pontiac line-up (except the Bonneville). I'll have to listen to your opinions for now.

Dan

Hmm... Bland, but with a killer mill...didn't Buick do that a while back?!? I think they should get away from the generic "is it a Taurus or a Jag?" styling, but, hey, at least it's a start! BTW have you seen the new Buicks? Where have all the design engineers gone?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by rev. 3:11
Hmm... Bland, but with a killer mill...didn't Buick do that a while back?!? I think they should get away from the generic "is it a Taurus or a Jag?" styling, but, hey, at least it's a start! BTW have you seen the new Buicks? Where have all the design engineers gone?:rolleyes:

I agree with all of that.:)

The '04 GTO not worthy of the name?

One word.........1974 Ventura GTO!:eek:

As far as pricing the new Goat, they have the GTP Comp G at $28-30K, so I think $31-32K should be more inline. Heck a loaded 2002 T/A WS6 was 30K.

I like the new GTO and I'm sure the aftermarket will embrace it too. 350 hp is a nice starting point.

Ben, I think you hit the key to this thing. It is a car packaged as most here would love, but it is an Australian car. Ford had the same problem with the last version of the Capri. Cute little 2 seater with a mazda 1.8 even a turbo option, but it would not sell. People buy an American name to get an American car. We need to loose that ideal because they all are global companies now anyway. I remember the old Goats, and most every GM guy around, other than GTO owners thought they were sleds and and had no style at all. I personally like the new one because Pontiac finally learned, it's not all the plastic on the outside that makes a car worth owning. I hope it does well, but if I were to spend my money, it would be on new Mach 1.

Mark

AutoWeek magazine summed it up:

"While the original GTO was not the fastest musclecar, it was the FIRST, and its styling was the COOLEST."

I remember the car was so cool that it not only had hit songs written about it, Thom McCann shoe stores even had a shoe called the GTO!

Seems I remember little better tune by the Beach Boys called 409. Oh well, it's like most everything else, all subject to interpretation. I look at the begining of the muscle car era as in the early sixties with the 61 Chev Bel Air with the 409 and many will argue the Chrysler 300's of the late 50's even. The GTO was when they brought it to the mid size cars with cheaper prices. That is just what I lived thru

Originally posted by 2quiktocare
Seems I remember little better tune by the Beach Boys called 409. Oh well, it's like most everything else, all subject to interpretation. I look at the begining of the muscle car era as in the early sixties with the 61 Chev Bel Air with the 409 and many will argue the Chrysler 300's of the late 50's even. The GTO was when they brought it to the mid size cars with cheaper prices. That is just what I lived thru

I agree. The 409 was awesome for it's time. My cousin still builds race cars with 409's in them.

TV Tommy Ivo was using Buick nailheads in his racecars.

My beef with it and GM for that matter is all this corporate BS.

Pontiac hasn't had their "OWN" engine/drivetrain since???? the late 70's early 80's at most. To me it's a disgrace to be flying the GTO badge on something that's NOT even a true Poncho. All it is a cheap chevy.

At least Buick still has their own engine (probably not for long) and Caddy has the Northstar. I've said it before and i'll gladly say it again, "GM SUCKS" and my GM buying days are OVER!! (with exception to older cars,/ NEW trucks, and Vettes) :mad: :mad:

Does anyone know someone who has actually taken delivery of one of these cars? All I know is what I've read. I'm interested in hearing about the performance, handling, quality, and workmanship of this car from someone who owns one.