Why does an ’87 seem to be worth more than an ‘86

bq93

I’ve searched to find the answers to a couple of questions, but as far I haven’t been able to. I suck at the internet so my apologies if I am overlooking it.

I believe I know the differences in an 86 and 87 GN (almost entirely cosmetic), but it seems to me that an 87 will sell for considerably higher than a very comparable 86. Can someone explain why that is? Is it just because it was the last year? Would the 87 guys turn up their nose at a clean 86?

My other question is about the t top issue. It seems that many people shy away from ttops and I was wondering if that was just an issue for the track or what?

Any input would be appreciated – and mods if this is in the wrong place - my apologies and feel free to move it.

It is the one everyone remembers.... I feel like in time the role will reverse though. Look at the production #'s, that will start to mean something shortly!

On the tops, it used to be the T Top's brought more. Now with age and seals deteriating, and the speed factor hardtops have become more desiriable. Again I think, the Top's car value will increase over time when the pure collecting of these cars began and the speed factor goes away some...

A lot of the "perceived value" also comes from the fact that there is so much mis-information out there about these cars. Case in point: this was overheard at last fall's Charlotte AutoFair: "You know 87 and 88 were the only years they had factory turbos on them" and it only got dumber from there.....Buick also compunded the problem when they advertised 10 more horsepower for the 87s.

As far as T-tops: people either love 'em or hate 'em. Yes the added weight and reduced structural integrity can be a problem at the track, but the main reason(s) most seem to shy away: the rattles and leaks can be annoying, and if the leaks aren't detected and corrected early enough major rust issues can develop.

I’ve searched to find the answers to a couple of questions, but as far I haven’t been able to. I suck at the internet so my apologies if I am overlooking it.

I believe I know the differences in an 86 and 87 GN (almost entirely cosmetic), but it seems to me that an 87 will sell for considerably higher than a very comparable 86. Can someone explain why that is? Is it just because it was the last year? Would the 87 guys turn up their nose at a clean 86?

My other question is about the t top issue. It seems that many people shy away from ttops and I was wondering if that was just an issue for the track or what?

Any input would be appreciated – and mods if this is in the wrong place - my apologies and feel free to move it.

its like the difference between a 1956 Chevy belair and a 57, most people prefer the 57.

hard top stronger,better to hold up against rust. i would still like to have and open top car ( t-top or sunroof) very fun on those Sunday afternoons.

The only reason I bought my 87 T-Top GN about 12 years ago is bc I knew that it was going to be garaged and that I would only use it in the summer or on really nice days.

If I were buying a GN as a daily driver, I would stick with a hardtop or sunroof/moonroof.

But I love cruising with the T-tops off on a beautiful summer night! It's classic and nothing is better than t-tops EXCEPT a convertible- particularly a 70 Challenger or 60s 4 door convertible Lincoln Contintental!

Frank

'86 vs. '87 and t-tops

I believe the previous posts adressed the issue of '86 versus '87 values. As for me, I've got an '87 now and my previous GN was also an '87. My first turbo Buick was an '86 T-type. I'd be happy to have an '86 now, but when I went looking to buy, I just happened to find '87's the last two times.

As for t-tops. My first two turbo Buicks were hardtops. I wanted hardtop cars because I intened to race them (and I did :biggrin: ). But now I'm at a point where I no longer have time to race and I can't really afford to keep fixing it when it breaks. So, I bought a t-top GN for cruising and I love it! My wife and the kids like crusing with the t-tops off. :cool:

I believe the previous posts adressed the issue of '86 versus '87 values. As for me, I've got an '87 now and my previous GN was also an '87. My first turbo Buick was an '86 T-type. I'd be happy to have an '86 now, but when I went looking to buy, I just happened to find '87's the last two times.

As for t-tops. My first two turbo Buicks were hardtops. I wanted hardtop cars because I intened to race them (and I did :biggrin: ). But now I'm at a point where I no longer have time to race and I can't really afford to keep fixing it when it breaks. So, I bought a t-top GN for cruising and I love it! My wife and the kids like crusing with the t-tops off. :cool:

Which do you like better overall?- hardtop or t-top? Do u notice any difference in the ride?

It all comes down to what they sold for when new, when you're talking about Black Book and KBB price guides. The 87's sold for more and the T-tops had a retail sticker price of $1000. Therefore a T-top 87 GN would have had the highest sticker price of any TR. I dont buy the line that the 87 is the one that everybody remembers. The April 86 cover of HOTROD magazine is still fresh in my mind. The headline "V-6 Beats Corvette" tells it all. By the time that issue hit the stands it was to late for a lot of people to order a 86. And I do think that is the number one reason Buick made 70% more TRs in 1987 than they did in 86. By the time the word got out that the TR was one hot commodity it was well into the 87 model year. I guess that could mean 87 was the year everybody remembers as long as you are talking about people who have never owned a TR.

It all comes down to what they sold for when new, when you're talking about Black Book and KBB price guides. The 87's sold for more and the T-tops had a retail sticker price of $1000. Therefore a T-top 87 GN would have had the highest sticker price of any TR. I dont buy the line that the 87 is the one that everybody remembers. The April 86 cover of HOTROD magazine is still fresh in my mind. The headline "V-6 Beats Corvette" tells it all. By the time that issue hit the stands it was to late for a lot of people to order a 86. And I do think that is the number one reason Buick made 70% more TRs in 1987 than they did in 86. By the time the word got out that the TR was one hot commodity it was well into the 87 model year. I guess that could mean 87 was the year everybody remembers as long as you are talking about people who have never owned a TR.

The good ol days!

Although I was only a kid when the TRs came out, my friend up the block bought one and i fell in love with that car- 86 GN w/T-tops. I did alot of research and reading on these Turbo Buicks.

Both 86 and 87 models are beautiful and highly desireable. It's true that the 86 model was the first intercooled version that went against the 350 Corvette. Wherever I was- in the house or in someone's car- I could always tell when a TR was nearby- just by its distinctive exhaust note.

Some guys that had 86 GNs actually changed the grille to an 87 grille when the 87 GN came out.

I would concentrate on the condition of the car and not put too much importance on the year. They both have advantages- mainly 86- low production #s and 87- last year built.

Frank

Phil Mcgloin has t-tops...deeeeep in the nines;) You can race a t-top car in ya wanna

I used to have that copy of HOTROD, that and I think the magazine was called "Hi-Performance Cars", the article was titled "From Buick: With Balls". They had the fastest recorded time (13.85; previous best was Car and Driver with a 13.9-something). I was 20-21 and working at a Buick dealer when those two articles came out and I wanted a gunmetal grey 86 T-Type in the worst way, but alas there were no 86's to be had anymore so wound up with a silver 87. (One fine day I WILL have that gunmetal 86 though)

I have always wondered if all the publications had something to do with it. The 87's made more magazines than the 86's ever did. Just my speculation however I also agree with the fact that was the last year of production and the year of the GNX.

T-top

My wife and the kids like crusing with the t-tops off. Before they stole our t-top baby

My wife and the kids like crusing with the t-tops off. Before they stole our t-top baby

Cut off switches, column locks, pedal locks, clubs, steering wheel locks, homemade devices, GPS

but most importantly dont use it as a daily driver.
Before pulling into the driveway, make sure no one is behind you and hide it
away in a locked garage. If possible block the garage with other vehicles!

I am just a little paranoid about my GN.

Sorry about your loss and i hope that u get another one.
Frank