Why do you lock the converter?

MistaScott

Abnormally Aspirated
Just looking for an expanation of why people lock their converter for a track run... Logically, wouldn't you want to delay lockup to multiply torque with the converter as long as possible?

I think it has to do with getting rid of the inefficentcy or slipping of the converter. My car runs about 2 mph faster with the converter locked than with it unlocked. I tried both locking at the line (it locks when it shifts into 2nd) and locking at 85mph and saw no differenece except that sometimes I would forget to lock the TC in the middle of a run. :eek:

The Horsepower peak of a TR is only 4400 RPM while the 2-3 shift isn't until 5000 RPM and there shouldn't be a 3-4 shift.

Locking the converter keeps the motor in its power band longer.

By keeping the motor closer to its HP peak, more work is performed by the motor and the run is Quicker/faster. Trap speed is also increased because the motor hasn't run out of breathe, yet (over 5400 RPM with a stock motor and a small turbo, a LC2 motor is DONE with HP and torque falling off a cliff)

And the tranny guys need the $$$$ when you break it . ;)

Especially when you lock the TCC in 2nd gear.

Ever leave the clutch locked by accident, and take off from a stoplight during normal street driving? When it shifts into 2nd gear, the sound that comes from the trans will make you wince. :eek:

Steve