Why Do we never run into fast imports on the street??

onefastjackass

Why is it that we keep on having people troll this board that are from the fast and furious crowd keep on coming on here telling how fast these imports and new 4 cyl turbo's are but most of us with slight modes have had no problem beating them.

If there is such a large amout of them out there then why does it seem that most of us(with the exception of the almost stock ones) are having no problem handling them.

If you would listen to this crowd almost every one of them and there buddys has a car rooming the streets that can beat a turbo buick .If this is true then why arn't they!!

Is it because that if they keep them streetable with 17 to 18 lbs of boost full interior etc. then they arn't quick enough??

Or is there some other reason.

This is a chance to voice youre opinions.

i talked to john a while back from shep online, he LOVES aol chat rooms so dont be suprised to see him in them from time to time. i liked him at first but hes nothing but a cocky sob.:(

Originally posted by equalizer442
i talked to john a while back from shep online, he LOVES aol chat rooms so dont be suprised to see him in them from time to time. i liked him at first but hes nothing but a cocky sob.:(

Really? That's too bad..... I hate guys that get all cocky cause they have a fast car or something along those lines..... There are plenty of guys on this board that have very fast cars (some are just as fast or even faster than him) that are very cool to talk with and are very down to Earth (they are Fast with Class)! Somebody should serve him (John Shepherd) a little humble pie:D

Several Hondas (friends of mine) in the area are running anywhere from 106 to 113 mph in the 1/4 and holding their own on the street.

One is a Turbo'd '97 Accord on 8psi - beat a heads/cam LT1 Z28 the other night
another is a 4-door civic w/ LS turbo motor on 12psi - beat a C5 on the highway last night
another is a Honda hatch w/ an H22 running 12.80s all-motor

A board member (fast TR owner) on here has a Turbo SOHC Civic as a daily driver and eats a new GT everytime I ride with him, so I figure its at least good for low 14's. Its all BONE stock with only a bolt-on turbo kit and aftermarket in-tank fuel pump.

All are daily drivers; nice and clean-looking cars (not rice). There is some money tied up there, but total investment is comparable to buying and modding a mint GN.

Still NOT my cup of tea, and yes, its STILL a Honda. I hate FWD.

It's the same reason you don't get many races with Lambos and the like. They dont like to drive/race their $100k cars all the time on the street. Let alone against some eighties cutlass....:rolleyes:

Originally posted by kenny
I've run into plenty.
Did you ever get it handed to you in a drag race when youre car was running correctly you got traction etc.Or by one that wasn't running race fuel or totally not streetable

Because any of the ones I keep running across are either

A: totally not street cars(Remember just because they have plates does not make them streetable)

Or I hand it to them

StageII86 You only told me about one car that can run even in the high twelves yes it's impressive for a 4 cyl.But a slightly modded buick tuned correctly can beat that time on the street.
Rolls from 60mph don't impress me.

Once again why if we are lead to believe that so many of them are out roaming the streets have I not heard of anyone credable saying something like

I was out cruising in my modded 12 second turbo buick the other day and I ran up against this _____ (fill in the blank with youre favorite import.) He threw a couple of revs at me at the stoplight so I decided I would show him a lesson.I brake boosted and we both took off at the same time I got a great launch and so did he.I thought as soon as my tubo reaches full boost the I would walk him but no he actually stayed with me and started pulling away.Boy that was one fast _____.

In fact if they are so plentyfull then we should here something like the above all the time!!

I never here about this happening.

And by the way before someone starts saying I somehow against 4 cyl imports. I own a 2000 honda also.

When the Turbo Buicks first came out it was RARE to to see one run in 12s and now it's unusual if it's not a 12 second car. We bought my son a Talon about 6 years ago if you would have told then that you could get 550h.p. out of a 2.0 four cylinder I would have thought you were crazy.Well now that little 2.0 has put out 604 wheel horsepower out, without nitrous. No it is not an everyday car but does see more street tine than track time. In a lighter car it ran 9.62 and in my book that IS a fast street car.

Randy youre car maybe an exception
But I would love to see you reinstall all the interior put 94 octane in it and then see how fast it is then.

And yes it is increadable the things you have done but youre car is not a streetable car in 9 second trim.

If that was so then my friends vette up in cleveland would fall into the same cat.Please compare the same to the same.

Put youre car back into full interior streetable trim. running regular gas 94 octane or below and nothing to fill around every 6 runs and lets see how quick in street trim it really is.

In fact if you do it before the snow flys I will be happy to bring up my GN we could drain both tanks and fill up at the local sunoco and I will be happy to eat crow if you are actually faster with the above changes.

By the way you may be the 1 -1000 that is actually quicker but if so that is still only 1-1000.

I have a customer with a Talon that went 11.24 on 93 pump gas and street tires (NOT DOT or drag radials). No ALKY or Propain. How many guys here can do that? Some but not many. Every type of car has fast and slow ones. I get so tired of people thinking that this or that car is ONLY one that can go fast. I am just a car guy and I like 'em ALL. Have not seen to many cars that in some way I don't like. At the SEMA show this year about 30 to 40 % was devoted to Import or sport compact type cars. You better get used to seeing them cause they are not a fad and are not going away. If you think there is not fast ones you must not get out much.
Mike Licht

No one said that there arn't fast cars of any type.But if you believed the import guys that come on this board one is on every street corner.

They are not!!

They are few and far between.My point was still valid if there are so many of them out there why arn't we getting spanked by them more often.

Heck I'm sure someone out there even has a yugo that is quick.

But once again not very many and most are gonna be posers.

PS:It's not a brand thing it's a displacment thing

Originally posted by onefastjackass
Randy youre car maybe an exception
But I would love to see you reinstall all the interior put 94 octane in it and then see how fast it is then.

And yes it is increadable the things you have done but youre car is not a streetable car in 9 second trim.

If that was so then my friends vette up in cleveland would fall into the same cat.Please compare the same to the same.

Put youre car back into full interior streetable trim. running regular gas 94 octane or below and nothing to fill around every 6 runs and lets see how quick in street trim it really is.

In fact if you do it before the snow flys I will be happy to bring up my GN we could drain both tanks and fill up at the local sunoco and I will be happy to eat crow if you are actually faster with the above changes.

By the way you may be the 1 -1000 that is actually quicker but if so that is still only 1-1000.
The motor is waiting to go in a full trim,a/c all wheel drive as we speak,so this year is out. But,maybe next year at Norwalk we could set up an Exibition run? Run what you brung? No draining gas tanks, just as if you would pull up next to each other at stoplight' you want slicks ,fine. This was built to be a serious street car and when it was built it was understood that we would run on race gas and nitrous{we just plummed the nitrous up}thedyno puul was without nitrous so we are hopeful to be able to run abou the same in full trim as it did in a lightweight.But it WILL be ready for "Buicks at Norwalk" Norwalk has a test and tune every friday during the summer so we should be able to make this happen!

Originally posted by Randy Greenoe
The motor is waiting to go in a full trim,a/c all wheel drive as we speak,so this year is out. But,maybe next year at Norwalk we could set up an Exibition run? Run what you brung? No draining gas tanks, just as if you would pull up next to each other at stoplight' you want slicks ,fine. This was built to be a serious street car and when it was built it was understood that we would run on race gas and nitrous{we just plummed the nitrous up}thedyno puul was without nitrous so we are hopeful to be able to run abou the same in full trim as it did in a lightweight.But it WILL be ready for "Buicks at Norwalk" Norwalk has a test and tune every friday during the summer so we should be able to make this happen!

Once again you have a race car not a street car!!

If you can't run street gas and have to fill up a bottle every couple of runs then it's not a street car!!

It's a race car with plates!

Once again with race gas only it's not a street car.

Of course I have this same diagreement with my buddy all the time he thinks just like you that having plates makes it streetable.I say that unless he can run it for 150 miles fill up at any pump,idle in traffic for extended periods of time and not overheat and then run a good number then it's not a street car.

Plates can be bought anytime they are not an indication of if a car is streetable.

I guess if you don't want to prove that it can be done then OK.
But just remember I gave you a chance to prove youre point!
And I was even willing to drive the 70+ miles each way to do it.

Of course that is probibly because my car is truely streetable!

Originally posted by onefastjackass
Once again you have a race car not a street car!!

If you can't run street gas and have to fill up a bottle every couple of runs then it's not a street car!!

It's a race car with plates!

Once again with race gas only it's not a street car.

Of course I have this same diagreement with my buddy all the time he thinks just like you that having plates makes it streetable.I say that unless he can run it for 150 miles fill up at any pump,idle in traffic for extended periods of time and not overheat and then run a good number then it's not a street car.

Plates can be bought anytime they are not an indication of if a car is streetable.

I guess if you don't want to prove that it can be done then OK.
But just remember I gave you a chance to prove youre point!
And I was even willing to drive the 70+ miles each way to do it.

Of course that is probibly because my car is truely streetable!
This car most certainly is a street car! It passes Emission check everytime.I hate to sound like this but you Sir have forced me into it. there has been ALOT of time and momey spent on this car and to retune it to race a low 12 second car is not worth it! If you wish to run it as would be set up at street light we can make it happen if not stay on the porch.{ Dam I don't like tobe like that.}

Originally posted by Randy Greenoe
This car most certainly is a street car! It passes Emission check everytime.I hate to sound like this but you Sir have forced me into it. there has been ALOT of time and momey spent on this car and to retune it to race a low 12 second car is not worth it! If you wish to run it as would be set up at street light we can make it happen if not stay on the porch.{ Dam I don't like tobe like that.}

Sounds good,at least you're not into 200 mph stickers.
I take it you're not into racing through traffic in the thing either?
Works for me.:)

Unless it can run street gas it's not a street car!!Fluster and bluster all you want.

It an't a streetable car if it can't run street gas!!

Still once again people are coming up with cars that A: arn't streetable and B: the point was that you fast and furious wanna be's would like us to believe that there are alot of you out there.But the point of the conversation is there are not!!

For every 1000 of the fast and furious wanna be's out there only 1 is a streetable car that can actually walk the walk and thats why we arn't running into them very much.

I wouldn't talk to loud randy lose the nitrous and pull down the boost to pump gas levels and along with the added wieght of the new car and that big dog just might turn into a puppy!