why are gn's worth more than Ts??

rwrows

i'm sure this has been covered, but i'm not too good with the search engine.

aren't Ts more rare? why are gns worth more? on average, anyone know how much more a gn is worth than an identical condition T??

Desirability. Just as the 87 GN is worth more then the 86 GN. Pretty much the same thing, but different in its own way.

It's called "perceived value", and in a way you answered your own question: because the GN production was higher, that's what more people noticed, especially with the all black paint job that made people take more notice compared to the "sleepy" T-Types. And as a general rule of thumb A T-Type will bring between 60-75% of what a comparable GN would, excepting the WE4 and WH1 models, and the turbo Limiteds.

Looks and the name and history of the GN, some of T-types are very,very nice,but the GN just looks mean all black and alot of people know the GN,not many know about the t-types..But im sure its been talked about alot on here

It's called "perceived value", and in a way you answered your own question: because the GN production was higher, that's what more people noticed, especially with the all black paint job that made people take more notice compared to the "sleepy" T-Types. And as a general rule of thumb A T-Type will bring between 60-75% of what a comparable GN would, excepting the WE4 and WH1 models, and the turbo Limiteds.

so how much is a turbo limited worth compared to the gn? can you rank 'em?

There is only one correct answer to that correction. It is demand. GN's are more popular and therefore there is more demand and the pride is higher because of it. This is when comparing 2 cars in nearly the same condition. There are several Regal t-types and T turbos that have sold for much more than Grand Nationals in similar condition but usually a GN will get the most attention.

In the future the T's will be worth the same or more than GN's. Production numbers don't lie. Low production# cars are always a desirable collector. Rare optioned or low optioned cars will bring more, but if you have a low production count and rare options then you got something collectable. This has always been true with all muscle cars.

The T's are more rare but remember, rare doesn't always mean desirable.

Plus as said, everyone knows what a GN is, not many know what a T type/Turbo T are.

That's why I like my Turbo T better than I do a GN. It may not be as valuable as a GN but it's more affordable, plus it has the same stuff as a GN without sticking out like a sore thumb. I can roll up on most anyone and surprise the hell out of them. In a GN they already know what's coming.

That maybe true about numbers, but people can spot my GN from a mile away, and on the other hand, ive been driving by a T-Type for years, and i just found out it was a T-Type, and it was forsale.

In the collector market of anything, popularity often overshadows and drives the value of an item more than rarity / scarcity. And no, it is doubtful that T-types and Turbo-T's will ever be worth the same as GN's, everything else being equal, regardless of rarity or #'s produced. Just my $.02 worth before taxes, too.

The T-type will have it's day, it won't last forever though. Seen one GN, seen em all, that is why I have always been a T-man.

I'm not so sure about that....They're the same!...:rolleyes:(86-87 GN's)
Also, it's true that most people remember the GN's, but not always T-types...

Claude.

Desirability. Just as the 87 GN is worth more then the 86 GN. Pretty much the same thing, but different in its own way.

GNs have the "legend" :rolleyes: More buyers want that . Me ?? I don't like GNs .. Had to many since 1986. I'd pay more for a nice Limited T .. Ass for every seat . Oh I have a Pinto station wagon with only 3689 miles on it.. It's pink (mary kay) give away car . Anyone interested ??? it's 1 of 10 :D

Being that I own both I think I can anwser the question....kind of. It's really quite simple. When i'm in my Turbo Regal, I get noticed by those 'in the know' only. When I drive the GN, it's like a freakin rollin billboard! I get thumbs up, stares, questions from guys in minivans and comments at stoplights about how fast is it, or wow I heard those things are really quick, etc etc etc. It's really all about what the average person knows about GN's as compared to the T-Types and Turbo Regals. The GN's STAND OUT, most T's don't. That's why I prefer the Regal when I'm in a hurry or just don't want to be botherd. I love them both and that's what really matters to me anyway. The value is only secondary..........;)

Ken B.

Being that I own both I think I can anwser the question....kind of. It's really quite simple. When i'm in my Turbo Regal, I get noticed by those 'in the know' only. When I drive the GN, it's like a freakin rollin billboard! I get thumbs up, stares, questions from guys in minivans and comments at stoplights about how fast is it, or wow I heard those things are really quick, etc etc etc. It's really all about what the average person knows about GN's as compared to the T-Types and Turbo Regals. The GN's STAND OUT, most T's don't. That's why I prefer the Regal when I'm in a hurry or just don't want to be botherd. I love them both and that's what really matters to me anyway. The value is only secondary..........;)

Ken B.

I 2nd that!

I'm not so sure about that....They're the same!...:rolleyes:(86-87 GN's)
Also, it's true that most people remember the GN's, but not always T-types...

Claude.

Please explain what you ment by that. I said they are the same but different in thier own way. They offered a few different options for both years but other then that its the same friggin car. Does the 87 grill offer a better advantage over the 86 proformance wise? OOO Wait!! The different colored pull straps might!!!:rolleyes: Like I said other then a few minor differences they are the same thing.

GNs have the "legend" :rolleyes: More buyers want that.

Its the legend the creates the demand. I find the GN market very interesting. It reallly typifies the collector market where demand for a particular car and value are not based on production numbers. Their is such a demand for the last year of the legend. 87 GN vs 86 GN, 87 GN vs all the rest of the 87 Turbo models (excluding the GNX)

The 87 GN is ahead value, but IMO the gap has close over the years. On paper it seems like the 87 GN should be last compare to production numbers. I think that number of nicers examples favor against the GN as well. (More supply, I also know a quite few people who used the other models as drivers.) One thing that I sort of find slightly ironic is when 86 GN advertise their cars and mention ablout the lower production numbers. 86 GN's have the 2nd highest production numbers, Turbo Regals, WE4, Limited Turbos, WH1's, 86 T-Types all have lower production numbers.

I personally prefer the "T". I get enough attention with out driving a car that yells either "I just broke the law!!!" or "I'm about to..." There is, I guess also a small weight difference with the "T" having the aluminum brakes,bumper supports, and wheels from the factory.....I love both, but will keep my license (and car) longer with the "T"".

jn