Who's ready for some 3800 power?!

I was at my engine builders house today and I asked him if he every worked on a series II or III block and he pointed in the corner and said he just machined one and it is ready for the rotating assembly. I was bored .020 over. In comparison it looked a little smaller than my 109 block. So once I finish my current project, which is to get my GN together with my rebuilt 109 block and get the trans rebuilt. Once my GN is running and I feel comfortable I will start piecing together Series II project and I have an engine builder who can prepare the block. Hopefully I can find a roller to put it in. For now I'll keep my TE44 for this block. My engine builder should be able to help me fabricate what I need.

Anyway, when you get some dyno pulls let us know.

The block is far superior than the 109. That's for sure. Most I've seen have little to no wear in the cylinders at 200k. Mine is bored ten. There are plenty of off the shelf Pistons in .010 and .020. But .030 haven't seen. Sure there available. Diamond usually keeps the non- finished slugs in the shelf and builds to order.

If your closer to Ohio talk with John Rucker at Intense racing. If your engine guy cannt do it. They build 3800's all the time. Stock to 600hp +. Very knowledgeable. Good price on parts.

Yes

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 126
The block is far superior than the 109. That's for sure. Most I've seen have little to no wear in the cylinders at 200k. Mine is bored ten. There are plenty of off the shelf Pistons in .010 and .020. But .030 haven't seen. Sure there available. Diamond usually keeps the non- finished slugs in the shelf and builds to order.
That hurts to hear the words far superior, consider the dough I have thrown at my 109 rebuild. However, the main reason that I went with the 109 block is that my GN is in nice shape and I wanted to keep it as close to stock appearance as possible. I guess it is far superior, when I told my engine builder that I wanted 600rwhp he told me that I would need to step up to a stage II or a TA Performance block. Even with forged internals, billet mains caps, etc.

If your closer to Ohio talk with John Rucker at Intense racing. If your engine guy cannt do it. They build 3800's all the time. Stock to 600hp +. Very knowledgeable. Good price on parts.
Ok, I will keep this in mind. My next project will definitely be a 3800 series 2 or 3 built shortblock. I would love to put it in an 98 Camaro or Firebird, however, I wouldn't be against putting it in a g-body.

That hurts to hear the words far superior, consider the dough I have thrown at my 109 rebuild. However, the main reason that I went with the 109 block is that my GN is in nice shape and I wanted to keep it as close to stock appearance as possible. I guess it is far superior, when I told my engine builder that I wanted 600rwhp he told me that I would need to step up to a stage II or a TA Performance block. Even with forged internals, billet mains caps, etc.

The 109 is a tested and trued foundation if you use the right parts and have the right tune. I've got a stroked 109 in my we4 and it's got over 650 at the tire. It's ok. The 3800 just have a better design . Anything can and will blow up.

The 109 is a tested and trued foundation if you use the right parts and have the right tune. I've got a stroked 109 in my we4 and it's got over 650 at the tire. It's ok. The 3800 just have a better design . Anything can and will blow up.
My engine builder didn't say that I couldn't make 600 to the tire, he said that reliability could be a problem. I think with a great tune, I should be ok. My goal is to go to XFI with a flex-fuel sensor and have it professionally tuned on a dyno.

Sorry to get off topic.

The good thing is I have a TE44 with about 3k mile on it. For my new build I bought a 6265. I figure a TE44 would be a good turbo to start with, when and if I get a 3800 up and running. Hopefully I can find a 84-87 turbo Buick roller.

I didn't say your builder was wrong . With a good tune I'm about at the limit with the block reliably. Tune is the key.

I didn't say your builder was wrong . With a good tune I'm about at the limit with the block reliably. Tune is the key.
I'm sorry if I inferred that, that is certainly not what I meant to say. I was simply saying that what I originally said was wrong. I originally said my builder said I couldn't make that much power with a 109 block. That's not true, he said I could but reliably could be an issue. I didn't want to make an incorrect statement on his behalf.

Again, thanks for all the advice and taking the time to post this thread.

It's all good, maybe I read wrong. But no problem helping if I can, this is just a pet project of mine. Motor should be in and running by the weekend I hope.

It's all good, maybe I read wrong. But no problem helping if I can, this is just a pet project of mine. Motor should be in and running by the weekend I hope.

Glad your motor is ready to go back in. I'm in the middle of a 3800 build myself. Headers are a pain! Should be good once I get those done. Keep up the great work!

Yeah I bet it's a pain. Should have asked about a set when we were thinking of making a few sets off mine. Really turned out nice. But we're not
Messing with that no more.

Yeah I bet it's a pain. Should have asked about a set when we were thinking of making a few sets off mine. Really turned out nice. But we're not
Messing with that no more.
Are you saying you not doing the after-market mod's needed for the install?

I understand, I got the same response from the f-body community for the 3800 turbo-charging attempt I made.:banghead: Not including the cost of pistons, a kit was available from a company in Canada for $5500.00. Too much for most to afford to put into a $2-3k car, when lsx are available for much less. Point well taken but not unique by any means. Why even the Chinese haven't taken it up!!?? They even offer kits for lsx f-bodies but not 3800's. What ever happened to the old-time hot rodders and imaginations??? Maybe the economy!?:drowning:

Niche market. There's absolutely ZERO aftermarket for the engine I have. Good thing the factory parts are plenty strong.

The after market for the 3800 is very good. All the parts for this engine available but Buick people like to talk and will usually stick to what's always familiar. I've been in the Buick game my whole life. So I know how it is. It's unfortunate that a Buick alternative is out there with such a great foundation. Block , heads & crank. Everyone just wants cheap and easy ls style. Oh well I love my set up! Original and will be proven soon on dyno.

I understand, I got the same response from the f-body community for the 3800 turbo-charging attempt I made.:banghead: Not including the cost of pistons, a kit was available from a company in Canada for $5500.00. Too much for most to afford to put into a $2-3k car, when lsx are available for much less. Point well taken but not unique by any means. Why even the Chinese haven't taken it up!!?? They even offer kits for lsx f-bodies but not 3800's. What ever happened to the old-time hot rodders and imaginations??? Maybe the economy!?:drowning:

I agree, our pieces are all made in America and proven . To fit/ work. What u going to do?