Who's ready for some 3800 power?!

Where's some vids of it running!
Weathers been surprisingly cold and wet hear in tx. So no new video's. I got the interior almost done but waiting for seat covers and door panels for over a month. Really sucks. As soon as I do car is going to the dyno.

Slimtastic started a thread on here with ideas on some parts that would make it easier to build one of these. With some ball park prices IF there was enough demand. But I saw the thread vanished with no explanation so the thread police must have gotten it. What's funny is how you supposed to get interest/support with such a niche idea without laying the option/ ideas out?

I scored a hot side setup from someone who had fabbed up some stuff for a newer 3800 Fbody. Looks like it will be pretty close to working. Time will tell once I have a chance to set things in the frame and see what I got.

rwd turbo.jpg

rwd turbo2.jpg

I scored a hot side setup from someone who had fabbed up some stuff for a newer 3800 Fbody. Looks like it will be pretty close to working. Time will tell once I have a chance to set things in the frame and see what I got.

View attachment 250568
View attachment 250569

The guy that fabbed that up knew what he was doing looks great. But I seriously think your going to have serious issues with turbo placement. Plus the fbody subframe is much different than our frames. Well good luck with your set up. Hope it work for you.

Judging by the motor mounts I have on the block I should be pretty good with the manifolds and crossover. Only real concern is the downpipe routing but if that is all I need to fix that's and easy one in my book.

To everyone I'll be getting some testing in very soon / dyno . Interior basically done. Finally.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 257
I ended up chipping a piston. My fault. Had way to much timing when I was tuning the trans on the hp tuner. The car was a rocket. So I've got motor apart and building a nice solid shortblock . Should be done by end of next month.

I designed a header flange of my own and am 3D printing one quick to check fitment before I have a batch cut. The crazy amount of money ZZP wants for their carbon steel flanges is crazy... I might have them cut from 1/2" though I'm worried they will hit the head studs if I do. Either way they will be cut from stainless and will cost significantly less than the ones available.

,Dan

Attachments

• 3800flange.jpg
    3800flange.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 184
Looks good I got the zzp stainless flanges. They worked out good but they were 100 for pair.

Thanks, we did some LS flanges a couple months ago in 1/2" stainless since a bunch of people in our hot rodding group wanted them and they were $80 a pair shipped so these ones should be quite a bit less since the are much simpler (Less curves) and smaller. Also if they are only 3/8" that will remove cost. I also have a possible supplier that will make them for less.

,Dan

Update, the flange fits perfect. For giggles two were printed. I am going to design a couple more like the flange for an external down pipe to turbo, 3 bolt turbo flange, and an aluminum flange to weld on my intake to be able to bolt on an LS throttle body.

,Dan

Attachments

• flange.jpg
    flange.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 189
I picked up the flanges today from a shop local I had cut them. They were $65 for the pair out the door and had a 3 day turn around from print to pickup which I cant complain about. I had them cut in 3/8 mild steel since it has better heat cycling properties and since I do my own ceramic and powdercoating so I don't need the corrosion resistance which will keep them much lower cost and less fabrication hassle (cutting, backpurge welding) than a stainless build. So I don't keep clogging up this thread I'll start my own from here on.

Thanks, Dan

Attachments

• flange2.jpg
    flange2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 142
got my Australian rods :). which im sure originated in china :(. Just waiting for my pistons. lets make some big power :)

Attachments

• Z-1.jpg
    Z-1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 153
Where did you end up going for pistons? I'm going to get the ceramic coated JE's from Intense, probably put in an order this week.

,Dan

Where did you end up going for pistons? I'm going to get the ceramic coated JE's from Intense, probably put in an order this week.

,Dan
I didn't see the JE's from intense, but I did from zzp @ $839.99. Intense had diamonds for 899.00, which included the pins and rings. 20 0vers are $50.00 more w/pins and rings @zzp's.

Intense doesn't sell je's but zzp does. John likes diamond and uses them in all his builds. I'll be ordering the coated diamonds from john along with the bearing and arp studs. This or next week.

The price for those he on zzp are for 8.0 and no over bore.