Who's has Experience runnning an effcient 9 or 10 inch torque converter

wickedtt

I’m looking for under 10% slippage, need to know

Brand of converter
Stall speed
Are you locking it up at wot

My friends car went 127+mph with an old Art Carr 16930. 9% slippage. This a non lockup of course. I sent that converter out to have them tighten it a little. Not sure exactly what the efficiency was before i sent it out, but it was around 11%. Its a 3300 stall at zero psi, zero vacuum.

wickedtt said:
I’m looking for under 10% slippage, need to know

Brand of converter
Stall speed
Are you locking it up at wot

Unfortunately not in the GN, but in the 10 second turbocharged 99 GT I owned, I had several converters and stall speeds in that car. I would lock it up in 2nd gear at about 4K rpms and it ran 126-128 mph on pump gas in the 1/4. The only converter clutch that lasted was the PI multi-disc. I killed a Protorque in 6 months. With that car and the electronic controlled 4R70W, the software I believe autotap at the time, measured percentage of slip based on engine rpm vs input shaft speed. With it unlocked, it was around 10-13%, but locked, it dropped to less than 1% or about .25-.40 if my memory is good. This was the PI Stallion(Vigilante for GM) 9 1/2 3200 stall multi-disc.

I am trying a Yank right now. I wanted a convertor that would help me get some good mph without locking the converter. It's a bit tighter off the line, I'm used to a slightly looser 9/11, however I'm able to put down more mph unlocked. If I have it loosened a tad down low, I'll probably have a tad more slippage on the top end. I wouldn't know for sure since I'm not converter expert. My buddy just got oneof the new billet 9/11's. He loves it. I think they have improved over the years and are probably much better than the one I had.

On the website, it's the GN Turbo Thruster 2850. It's a 10" converter. The guy says the clutch will hold whatever I throw at it. Yeah right. I guess we'll find out when my new engine is done. Advertised at 2850 stall at 0 boost I think however it's tighter than that. I could send it back for loosening however I do not want to lose the top end mph. It still spools fast enough for me to worry about traction around town. Unfortunately for drag racing, I did lose some 60 foot time. I guess I could boost it harder however I have not gone back to the track in a year or so to find out. If I recall, I can still boost it over 3000 RPM when power braking.

My .02,
My car runs a 9 inch n/l protorque. Reynolds last year it went 102.9/132.22. Picking up close to 30 in the back of the track. At BG ran 104/132.7. Spools faster due to less rotating weight, and has been unbreakable.

I will never go back to a lockup. Cruises at 80 MPH 2400 RPM's. So its a few hundred rpm higher.

I tried the 3400 and 3600 9x11's. One was too tight, the other was too loose. And still didnt mph like the non-lockup.

Using it on my GTQ71 now with nitrous to spool it instantly :D

HTH

Melissa runs a 9/11 from Bruce @ PTS :p pulls like crazy .. ran 132 in street trim. Haven't locked it up yet (waiting for Bruce to send her a billet drum to "try" first ) :eek:

Using it on my GTQ71 now with nitrous to spool it instantly :D
HTH

:eek: :eek:

Razor... you waitin on Reynolds to update the times in your sig? Looks like you are layin for Norbs.... or Grumpy to me..... but what do I know......:confused:

:eek: :eek:

Razor... you waitin on Reynolds to update the times in your sig? Looks like you are layin for Norbs.... or Grumpy to me..... but what do I know......:confused:

records are made to be broken :eek: should have Melissa's new motor shortly .. it will give us something to shoot for :cool:

On the website, it's the GN Turbo Thruster 2850. It's a 10" converter. The guy says the clutch will hold whatever I throw at it. Yeah right. I guess we'll find out when my new engine is done. Advertised at 2850 stall at 0 boost I think however it's tighter than that. I could send it back for loosening however I do not want to lose the top end mph. It still spools fast enough for me to worry about traction around town. Unfortunately for drag racing, I did lose some 60 foot time. I guess I could boost it harder however I have not gone back to the track in a year or so to find out. If I recall, I can still boost it over 3000 RPM when power braking.

Ed,

Throw me the 9x11 to try.
How much was the Yank.
If it ballons and hurts the thrust bearing would that be considered
Yanking your crank???

Definitely not yanky my wanky!

John, it's here for you to try if you want. I was keeping it as a backup since it has served me well over the years.