Who's got rubber wind skirts?

Razor

Forum tech Advisor
Staff member
Ok.. need to figure sumthen out. My old TTA had these rubber strips underneath the rocker panels. My new one didnt. Tonite I look and where the holes are, the new one never was drilled.

So at what point did Pontiac add these? Or delete them. Was it an option or ??? I located a used set of an 91 GTA and installed them on my car.. but was wondering?

do you have any pictures of what you're talking about? I can't remember finding any rubber strips down there on my TTA.

Mine has them. They were there when the car was new. Took them off and cleaned em' up when I welded up my SFC's, they were dirty to say the least. :biggrin:

GTA source page might have info on them. Might have been part of the GTA package, dunno.

mine has them. i assumed all firebirds got them those years.... really kinda nice - hides pipes and stuff that you can normally see hanging under the car.

I couldn't drive a TTA without those pieces :eek: :p :biggrin: YA... I have 1 that does run !! :mad: :wink:

Skirts

Mine has them on it and it is an all original less than 15,000 miles. I assume you are talking about the following. They are rubber skirt running down both sides of the car between the front and rear. The right side one has a notch in it for the cat. :rolleyes:

Are you the one I that makes those long MAF pipes? I have seen Grumpy referred to several times in various posts about those.

Thanks,

Fordlitenin said:
Mine has them on it and it is an all original less than 15,000 miles. I assume you are talking about the following. They are rubber skirt running down both sides of the car between the front and rear. The right side one has a notch in it for the cat. :rolleyes:

Oh if that's what you're talking about I thought all TTAs had them. I thought they had them from aerodynamics to keep the air from flowing under the car and causing lift. Mine has them and I think every TTA I have seen in person, ir in fact maybe even GTA has had them that I can think of.

Fordlitenin said:
Are you the one I that makes those long MAF pipes? I have seen Grumpy referred to several times in various posts about those.

Thanks,

that's me :cool:

72firebird said:
Oh if that's what you're talking about I thought all TTAs had them. I thought they had them from aerodynamics to keep the air from flowing under the car and causing lift. Mine has them and I think every TTA I have seen in person, ir in fact maybe even GTA has had them that I can think of.

Mine the holes werent drilled. I would understand if the holes were drilled and nothing was in the holes.

I have been through tons of boneyards looking at parts off of these cars.. its a rare thing actually. Guess maybe start paying attention.

Wonder if the package code on the car would be different.

Air Dam

Razor, Ken Diersing here. One of mine diden't have them installed it was a MSO car so maybe the dealer never put them on. I saw a new one for sale that diden't have the intercooler scoop put on yet so who knows. :)

KenD

Razor said:
Mine the holes werent drilled. I would understand if the holes were drilled and nothing was in the holes.

I have been through tons of boneyards looking at parts off of these cars.. its a rare thing actually. Guess maybe start paying attention.

Razor,
Mine is all original as I noted and it came with them from the factory. It was bought from GM when they couldn't sell them all and auctioned off the leftovers to any dealer. :)

My TTA doesn't have them but I have an '89 5.7 TA that does. Might have been some mid production change.

When I got to the dealership to pick up my car new, I had to wait for the guys in back to install the intercooler shroud, the front black bottom air dam, and cut it out in the center, and the two side skirts.
I was told that they all come unattached from the factory.
As for some not getting it, it is possible that there was a change, but I have seen latter year cars, like '90 to '92 with them, so I don't think so.
Probably some workers at the dealership didn't want to work that hard, or didn't know how to install them.

George

Razor's car was built on a friday afternoon .. give the guy's a break !! maybe they were goin racing :p

Razor said:

My GTA had them and both of my TTA's have them. I agree with George's thoughts on this.
- Dave

Mine didn't have them but I'm the 4th owner so who knows if someone removed them or not.

I stripped some parts off a 88 GTA here in the UK a couple of years back and also grabbed those rubber parts, cleaned them up and put them onto my TTA after had it resprayed a couple of yeras back all the holes was there so piece of cake to install them. Looks great as it covers up the view a bit.

They been discontinued from GM as far as I know.

When I visited Rich (bigdoggtta) maybe 4 years ago he still had his 72 miles TTA and that one had them as I took some pictures of them for my records.