Who's got home DVD recorders?

Dan K

I bought a cheapie Cyberhome DVD recorder for $100, and got what I paid for. I didn't even pop a DVD in to watch, or record anything. When I saw how bad the picture quality was when just watching TV through this unit I knew that it was going to be returned.
I've had good luck with every piece of Sony equipment that I've bought, and Sony has a DVD recorder/VCR combo for $300 at Best Buy that I might try next.
Anybody have one of these? Or what kind of home DVD recorder do you have and do you like it?

I got a Pioneer last Xmas and have used it maybe 1/2 dozen times to record. I am waiting for a nice unit in black for my real system. The Sony would be my next choice tho. The 399 one, not the 800 one. I have no need for a HDD in it as my cable box has one and I can record straight from the cable box

I have a Panasonic that I bought for $350 1.5yrs ago. It has great video but it does not record 5.1. audio. Recording has an extra feature because it acts kind of like TIVO, you can watch while it continues to record, so go to the fridge or work on the car and you can start where you left off.

IMHO.. THere all junk.. The home dvd recordes just plan suck.. There also very VERY slow. Get one for u pc and be done with it. My firend has a home dvd recoreder.. He has to watch the whole movie to copy it.. THat is a joke.. Especally when u have to make several copies of one disk. so an 1hr and 1/2 movie.. u want three copies.. well thats 4 1/2 hrs.. LMAO. I can do it with my pc much quicker and better quality. I have my tivo hooked up to my pc if i want to record off that.. Plus i can record in 5.1. Those stand only units are nothing but a waste to me. U can spend 350.00 on one meanwhile i can spend 70.00 on mine and do much much more. You do have a pc right.. Just get a dvd +- Rw DL drive for your computer. It takes me 15-20 min to burn a movie from disk to disk.. Yeah off the tivo it takes a while because you have to play the show.. But those who have them.. How long to make a copy of a disk? Its probley the length of the movie right.

Splwubs GN said:
IMHO.. THere all junk.. The home dvd recordes just plan suck.. There also very VERY slow. Get one for u pc and be done with it. My firend has a home dvd recoreder.. He has to watch the whole movie to copy it.. THat is a joke.. Especally when u have to make several copies of one disk. so an 1hr and 1/2 movie.. u want three copies.. well thats 4 1/2 hrs.. LMAO. I can do it with my pc much quicker and better quality. I have my tivo hooked up to my pc if i want to record off that.. Plus i can record in 5.1. Those stand only units are nothing but a waste to me. U can spend 350.00 on one meanwhile i can spend 70.00 on mine and do much much more. You do have a pc right.. Just get a dvd +- Rw DL drive for your computer. It takes me 15-20 min to burn a movie from disk to disk.. Yeah off the tivo it takes a while because you have to play the show.. But those who have them.. How long to make a copy of a disk? Its probley the length of the movie right.

You are right, but I just use mine instead of a VCR.

It has nothing to do with copying DVD's. I want to be able to copy old camcorder tapes over to DVD and use it to record instead of the VCR.
And there isn't a DVD player in the living room, just in the basement on the home theater setup.
Best Buy has the Sony DVD/VCR combo on sale for $300 right now, so I think I'll be ordering that today. :wink:

Well u can do that. But you can do that as well with ur pc. Just have to have an input card thats all. But if u dont then yeah for something thats simple just get one of them. But if u want to copy disks and what not. I would say get one for the pc instead. Much better.

I've worn out 2+ vcr's over the years time shifting programs (lifetime total is probably under 15 rented tapes). When the current vcr started to go (that's the + in 2+ :)) I wanted to go digital. The home dvd recorders were still too pricey last year and I wanted maximum programmability and flexibility so I replaced my cd burner in my PC with a dvd burner (paid $100 about 1.5 years ago and now of course they are over twice as fast and half the cost :)) and bought a Hauppage brand WINTV board. My video card does not have svideo output so I got the WINTV-350 for about $180. This has a cable ready tv tuner, fm radio tuner, hardware mpeg compression in about 10 different modes, resolutions, and file sizes, and hardware decompression and svideo output (so it doesn't slow down surfing tb.com at all while recording or playing back :)). Also stepped up to a 100 GB hard drive for $80 after Best Buy's sale price and rebate. Hauppage also has the WINTV-250 for about $130 that doesn't do hardware decoding and outputs through the pc video card for people that just want to watch on their monitor or have cards with ntsc video out. I played with all the modes and settled on what they call extra long play DVD. This takes about 1.6 GB per hour and I have to really hunt for an occasional difference between live and recorded on a pretty good resolution 32" tv. I was always frustrated by only having 8 program slots on my vcr since I like to keep all the weekly shows I want to record always in the program list. The Hauppage scheduler doesn't seem to have any limits on how many events you can program in, but it is pretty clunky to set up. My "old" pc is a pentium III 1000 MHz, which is plenty fast enough for what I do (record to a file, watch it later, delete the file), and I could have just stayed with my old 15 GB hard drive but would have always had to have been moving files to dvd or deleting old ones. Anyway, a new pc would most likely have a large enough hard drive and maybe a dvd burner so the cost would be $130 minimum, maybe $350 max if you need to get everything. It comes with a limited version of ULEAD dvd burning software but I bought NERO and really like it. So far I've only actually burnt 4-5 dvds of programs I recorded for friends or wanted to keep for myself, and transferred one video tape to dvd. The hardware compression is really nice - a friend bought a cheaper brand with software compression and on his 500 MHz PII it required literally 8 hours to compress a 2 hour video tape. Oh, the wintv350 has svideo and composite video out, left and right audio in/out, antenna, composite, and svideo in. YMMV but I'm obviously really happy. www.hauppage.com for all the details, and I'm a satisfied customer of www.newegg.com after lots of price shopping online.

Get the Panasonic, works great. I have two of their VCRs and they lasted over 10 years. I work in the video industry, and much of our consumer level Sony equip. craps out quickly with alot of use.

I ordered the Sony from BestBuy today. $330 shipped. I'll report on it for anyone interested.