Who should i believe?

Ssvalleyboy

My boost gauge(autometer) registers two pounds less than the factory gauge. So when the dash says 10 the gauge only says 8. Could i have pinched the line or tightened it too much? which one should i believe?

Ssvalleyboy said:
My boost gauge(autometer) registers two pounds less than the factory gauge. So when the dash says 10 the gauge only says 8. Could i have pinched the line or tightened it too much? which one should i believe?
-------------------------------------
1st choice would be Autometer, 2nd choice would be anything other than the factory set-up.

definitely the autometer, the factory setup is notoriously inaccurate. I have had those "idiot bars" show as much as 4 psi of boost: at idle!!!!!

take a strip of black tape and put it over your factory rpm guage and never look at at again,just my .02 c

I have had those "idiot bars" show as much as 4 psi of boost: at idle!!!!!
Mine shows boost as soon as I turn the switch on! After the engine starts to pull vacuum, then it goes off, but I'm pretty sure my engine doesn't build any boost all when it's not running.

Just make sure that the needle is at 0 when the car is off, I have an Autometer in my Typhoon and it rests around 2 lbs boost when the key is off. The stock boost gauge is garbage.

HTH

Prasad

Ssvalleyboy said:

None of them. The factory is always off and the autometer could be off as much as 4#. I checked my 30# boost gauge against a calibrated test bench at work. It was off 2# at 15psi and off 4# at 30psi. The wierd thing is it does not repeat itself. Test it at a true 25psi and it may be off 3# the first test. Second test at 25psi it might be off 1#. Go figure

Dusty Bradford said:
None of them. The factory is always off and the autometer could be off as much as 4#. I checked my 30# boost gauge against a calibrated test bench at work. It was off 2# at 15psi and off 4# at 30psi. The wierd thing is it does not repeat itself. Test it at a true 25psi and it may be off 3# the first test. Second test at 25psi it might be off 1#. Go figure
:eek:

My factory boost gauge is within 1 psi of a "good" gauge, but lots of them are way off. The only way to really, really be sure is to take your autometer gauge to a place that can check and calibrate it for you. Look in the phone book for places that make hydraulic lines, they usually have a calibration tester. Otherwise, like 1970gsx said, tune the car for best perfomance without knock and just use the boost gauge to be pretty sure that nothing has changed since the last run :). Remember that boost gauges are referenced to atmospheric pressure while a map sensor give the absolute pressure, so it is common to see shifts of .25 psi between a gauge and the map sensor (fast system) as the weather changes.

I prefer to believe my VDO gauge to the factory. Just like my scanmaster tells me that my speedo is off by a few mph. With all of the room for error in mass marketed gauges I cannot assume that they will be "spot on"- but it's better than 20 year old factory gauges and idiot lights. If you wnat even better tuning ability get a Wide Band O2...

Like has been said before, tune for high boost and no knock. You'll be happy and so will the car :cool:

I have never seen an Autometer boost gauge that also has vacuum to be even close. Boost only are better but not alot. I would trust the bar graph over either one. Mine is within 1 PSI
Mike