Who likes Chevy Silverado's?

I bought and 00 and a 05 both new new. Sold the 00 with 242k miles and going strong but rusty. Only thing I did to it was a fuel pump, alternator, and front wheel bearings. 5.3 is a great motor. No oil leaks and rarely add oil between oil changes with my currrent high mile truck. Still have the 05 guessing in the 240k range. Its rusting but no oil drips and I add about a half quart of oil between oil changes at 4k. Paid cash for it and plan to keep for a couple more years. One of my long time renters is a GM mechanic he tells me the 5.3 had some really bad problems when they first came out with cylinder shut down. Not sure of the years but he said he lack of oiling and on a weekly basis were rebuilding motors or mostly piston replacement. Good luck with your tuck. Its nice looking ride.
IIrc when GM went to the new 900 series that had the cylinder cutoff and forgot to shutoff the injectors to those cutoff cylinders, cylinder walls and oil were getting washed out with gas and ruining the engine usually right about the 50k mileage. Now they're going with the moronic engine stop-start crap at every stop. At least you can shut it off for now but have to do so every time you first start it up.
GM ceo mary barra idiot should be run out of town on a rail before the whole company is chinese owned.

99 GMC Sierra 2500 6L here. 114k on it. Rust, yup, brakelines, yup, cooling line, yup. Wish I could have bought it new and soaked it in Fluid Film.

I had a 2014 Quad Cab 4x4, it was a nice truck, then I went to a 2017 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 and I like it better. Just like everything, we all have our personal preferences, I hope you enjoy your new truck!

This one is 13 years old with 27k on it. Original owner did a excellent job of preserving it.
It lives in Florida now so I'm making evey effort to keep it protected from heat, rain and love bugs. Most probably won't know what love bugs are but they are very acidic and will destroy paint.

I went to the GM website to build a virtual truck and the short bed regular cab truck is no longer available. They are only available in the middle east ..….

Double-headed bugs, those things are murder on paint. Worse than bird poop!

If you can get one in good shape and do some major rust prevention, it will last. It just pisses me off what they get for these trucks when they are made out of shit. If it was half the price then it would not be so bad but these trucks are way expensive for being made out of crap.

I had 2013 and a 2014 silverado, both had serious problem with the coating literally falling off the frame in sheets. Looks like it was alredy starting to rust BEFORE it was coated. Chevy fix was to just spray over it again. That just masked the problem.
For the money they get for these trucks, the frames should be powder coated. It so common in this day and age but they don't want them to last.
GM integrity is in the toilet.

I went to the GM website to build a virtual truck and the short bed regular cab truck is no longer available. They are only available in the middle east ..….
There supposed to be bringing them back later this year. Even the last gen were rare, especially with the 5.3.

I had a GMC 2500 HD 6.0L extended cab - had rocker panels and cab corners replaced, drivers side bottom leather, and I did have the brake lines fail on me when driving home on lunch to let the dog out. I did pay to have all the brake lines replaced with SS lines from Inline Tube. I loved that truck and still do. It could tow anything and go pretty much damn near anywhere.

Now I just live the Dad Life with my '11 Suburban with the 5.3L, gutless. Very comfy truck for long hauls and tows decent, but nothing like the 2500 HD.

If you can get one in good shape and do some major rust prevention, it will last. It just pisses me off what they get for these trucks when they are made out of shit. If it was half the price then it would not be so bad but these trucks are way expensive for being made out of crap.

I had 2013 and a 2014 silverado, both had serious problem with the coating literally falling off the frame in sheets. Looks like it was alredy starting to rust BEFORE it was coated. Chevy fix was to just spray over it again. That just masked the problem.
For the money they get for these trucks, the frames should be powder coated. It so common in this day and age but they don't want them to last.

GM integrity is in the toilet.

I had read complaints of the frames rusting on that body style truck.
I looked at the underside of quite a few trucks here in Florida and they hold up pretty well here as long as they are not from the coast.

I have a friend that works for the railroad that drives a 13 Silverado (owned by the railroad). It has spent its entire life in Alabama, Georgia and Florida and the frame still looks really nice.

I agree the coating on the frames suck but the salt has to be what's really doing the damage.

I read on the Chevy truck forum that a guy had moved from the rust belt to California and bought a brand new truck in California. A few days later he climbed under it and it was Rusty everywhere, rusted to the point that the fittings on the brake lines were rounded off.

He took it back to the dealer and they told him he was out of luck. GM had release a bulletin saying some of the new trucks had been driven in snow/salt and that corrosion was normal and acceptable. The guy went on to say that not one other truck on the entire lot was rusted like his.

Sounds like that truck got driven on a beach.

I had read complaints of the frames rusting on that body style truck.
I looked at the underside of quite a few trucks here in Florida and they hold up pretty well here as long as they are not from the coast.

I have a friend that works for the railroad that drives a 13 Silverado (owned by the railroad). It has spent its entire life in Alabama, Georgia and Florida and the frame still looks really nice.

I agree the coating on the frames suck but the salt has to be what's really doing the damage.

When the coating came off it was not shiny metal. It light surface rust. That’s why I say it was already rusty before it was coated.
I will never buy another NEW Chevy truck. I would however buy a well maintained used one from the south.

I feed the same way about buying new. This 13 year old truck brings me more satisfaction than a new one would.

You can't rule out the north for a used one. The south has junk too....I looked for five years for my truck and ended up buying this one sight unseen in Iowa. Guy was honest and sent lots of photos.

I knew the guy was honest when I asked him if they salt the roads in Iowa and his insant response was "We are one of the most heavily salted states in the nation"

Four different wheel combos here, what look do you guys like?

silverado 20 inch.jpg
silverado bogart1 .jpg
silverado crown factory.jpg
silverado.jpg

The second one if not for work, makes a sweet looking twin turbo ls ride,
i had a 02 ford lightning that sat like that but i couldnt tow with it.

I still like the factory wheels in the 3rd one although isn't the 1st one a factory option?

I like number 2 as well IF the tires were just a bit bigger and the stance was a little higher.

I still like the factory wheels in the 3rd one although isn't the 1st one a factory option?

Not sure if they were a factory option or not. I found the truck for sale on line and the ad said the wheels had been changed over to 20's. That particular truck only had 12k miles on it.

#1 if stock height, #2 if intend to or is already lowered.