Which Turbo?

turbobully

I just bought an alky kit. I bought a GN last year that has a TE 54 on it. I also have a modified TA49 it has a 58mm compressor wheel and the wastegate hole has been ported for better low-boost control. Which one would I be better off with for street driving w/ the combo in my sig? Would I see any major improvements w/ 60lbs injectors and an LS1 vs 50lb w/ LTI MAF? I want to sell one of the turbos. The ta49 is brand new the TE54 appears to be in great shape but know idea how old it is.

I'm no turbo expert but based on your listed mods I'd run the TA49. Just make sure if the wastegate hole is ported, check that your existing puck is large enough to cover the hole or you'll have issues. Do you currently have enough converter to effectively spool that 54?

I agree with 626gn..You would have to list your goals to answer the turbo question, what converter is in the car now? if its stock run the 49, you would need at least a 3000stall and mabe ported heads to run the 54 at its best...I would go with the 60s and ls1

Stock converter I think I will go w the 49 and stick w the rest of the combo see if I can sell the 54 for a few hundo and use it towards the next thing needed.

Stock converter I think I will go w the 49
check the converter,the garret .63 ex housing is the way to go on this turbo and you still may want to loosen up the 12 inch In the future for max performance and spool.

My converter is bone stock. I dont really have a performance goal I guess breaking into the 11's would be sweet but really I just want a quick off the line street car thats fun to drive. No more power mods after this round next focus is on suspension.

My converter is bone stock. I dont really have a performance goal I guess breaking into the 11's would be sweet but really I just want a quick off the line street car thats fun to drive. No more power mods after this round next focus is on suspension.
The TA49 is perfect for those goals :). Just be sure to check the puck/wastgate hole relationship I mentioned in my earlier post since you mentioned it was been ported.

I was told it was ported for a THDP which is what I got but what should I look for the ports on both to be pretty much the same?

I was told it was ported for a THDP which is what I got but what should I look for the ports on both to be pretty much the same?
The first thing to check is the wastegate puck alignment to the hole in the turbine housing. You can put something on the puck like paint or similar and bolt the down pipe to the housing and seat the puck to leave a witness mark. You dont want the hole to be too close to the edge if you follow me. You may also be able to reach up inside the housing with a scribe and mark it. Its been a while since I ran a ta49 but I think my hole ended up at 1 inch. You should not need it to be any bigger than that and you may wish it to be smaller if your planning on running some hi boost. HTH And The 49 is what you want.

I got a question i got a stock 87 with 60ib inj and 3in down pipe with 4in air intake and boost controller id like some suggestions on the biggest turbo i can get with being safe id like to do other modifications over the summer with a better stall and many other things id just like some ideas best bang for my buck

I got a question i got a stock 87 with 60ib inj and 3in down pipe with 4in air intake and boost controller id like some suggestions on the biggest turbo i can get with being safe id like to do other modifications over the summer with a better stall and many other things id just like some ideas best bang for my buck
You should start your own thread, more people will see it that way......