which turbo?

tford

Registered Member
I have 42.5 lb. injectors and I want to know which turbo would be the best. I have the stock torque converter so nothing too crazy. I would like to run 12.50's or so but I have T-tops and am trying to avoid launching too hard. Right now my stock brake setup can't even hold me on the line to get a good 60' anyway. I have a street chip setup for my injectors and 19 degrees of timing. Thanks for any responses.

The stock turbo could get you 12.5's. If you want to upgrade I think a TE-44 is maybe the best STREET/strip turbo out there. It is tried and true and many have gone 11's with it. The -44 is also as big as you may want to go with the stock TC.

TE44 or TA 49 work well with the stock torque converter and your injectors.:) The only real difference between the two is that the TE44 is "non stock appearing" and it will need a different wastegate. The TA49 can use the stock wastegate.:)

stock

i have a t-top car with a stock turbo and 40# injectors, the car goes low 12's all day, if your just looking for 12.50's stay with the stock turbo.

I like the TE44 very nice turbo. I have one for sale with wastegate. Has a polished intake side on the turbo to. Look in the parts for sale forum.

In NC, the TE-44 would not pass emissions testing, because the stock PCV hose won't hook up to the inlet bell, won't pass visual. The TA, on the other hand, will pass, if you use the right inlet bell. So the answer depends at least partly on where you live.

i am in texas, will a pt61 pass inspection? this is the turbo that i want but didnt think about it not passing inspection

Ormand quoted
"So the answer depends at least partly on where you live"

and who does it !!!!!

:eek: :eek:

I am in NC and have no problems when I was tested. Ormand I bet Raleigh is tough when the DMV so close !!!!:D :D

87 grandnat. i am pretty sure also that i was adding to Ormand's comment.;)

tford

My old car had this set up (44 turbo, 42.5's, 3" downpipe, pump, chip and stock converter) and on the street it was perfect. Quick car that I drove everyday with no issues.
:cool:

Originally posted by 87grandnat
i am in texas, will a pt61 pass inspection? this is the turbo that i want but didnt think about it not passing inspection
I'm in FTW, I used to put all the oil breather tube back on the car to get it inspected, but the last few years I've gotten lazy and took it up without the oil tubes and even left the breather in the driver side valve cover, and they don't seem to care....guess it depends how picky the inspector is.
I say most inspectors don't even know there is supposed to be a breather tube on the turbo...all they seem to care about here is that all the lights work, horn, and it passes the tread mill sniffer.

TE-44 for sure!! With stock heads the TE-44 or Ta-49 is hard to beat on the street.I have a TE-44 on my Turbo Regal now and I love it compared to my old bigger 60-1 HI-FI Turbo which had so much lag and lack of low RPM power.I even had my 12 inch converter modified to 3000 and the 60-1 still sucked on the street.When I put the 44 on it felt like a 454 Cu. inch big block chevy pulling.The only thing is that I have race heads so i can go a little bigger with a turbo like a TE-60 which is great for engines that are slightly modified.I am going to get the most out of my TE-44 Turbo for a while.Im also going to get A Vigilante L/U 3200 Torque converter when i have some extra money.:cool: